Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
CameronS999

Red Light - Ambulance Behind

CameronS999

Hi,

I'm sure this is an age old argument but I'd like to hear some educated views on the subject.

I'm currently learning to drive and on my last drive when I was out with my old man an ambulance (on blues and twos) came from behind. There was nowhere for them to go so I moved as far left as possible and the car in the right hand lane moved forward and as far right as they could. Unfortunately a car behind us moved in such a way that they actually further blocked the ambulance. The ambulance then proceeded to cycle through the tones in such a way that I felt intimidated into moving through the red traffic light which I duly did without causing any other traffic an issue but I did cross the white line.

1) If I did this on my test, would I have failed?

2) Was this illegal?

My old man, who is emergency response trained (fire service), said they should have turned off their horns but left the blues going.

Any input is appreciated.

CameronS999

Gripper

If you cross the line you fail and if you set off the Gatso camera you get the points as there is no allowance for mops to go through them legally. It's as you say well documented on the good ship Google.

Member Achievements

Dan!Dan!Dan!

Why should they have turned the horns off?

Member Achievements

Bart

Because the traffic is aware of the emergency vehicle, nothing can be gained by leaving the sirens on.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Dan!Dan!Dan!

Surely that's the drivers shout?

If he/she is at a busy junction and thinks that they are still required to warn approaching traffic of it's presence then who are we to criticise?

Member Achievements

Gripper

I was taught on my driving course to switch off the sirens when stuck at a junction with no chance of getting through the traffic, so as not to freak out or intimidate drivers by cycling through the different tones. And the old Met ones used to overheat (as did the horses before Bart jumps in [emoji3]).

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Bart

It must have been hard getting the horse and cart through the busy semaphore flag controlled junctions in Londoninium innit! :D

Member Achievements

Gripper

Ends in Off, blood, lol

Edited by gripper

Member Achievements

Dan!Dan!Dan!

I was taught on my driving course to switch off the sirens when stuck at a junction with no chance of getting through the traffic, so as not to freak out or intimidate drivers by cycling through the different tones. And the old Met ones used to overheat (as did the horses before Bart jumps in [emoji3]).

You can tell that I was never taught bluelight response on my driving course....

Member Achievements

Narpo

If you are stationary at red ats, and the traffic cannot move out of your way. Turn the two tones off.

Turn them back on at the amber light.

Member Achievements

CameronS999

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll certainly know not to do that again.

CameronS999

Felix.

This is a common urban myth.

You can move through a red light if safe to do so if there is an emergency service vehicle (on blues) behind you. It might be a life and death emergency and you will be justified in doing so.

You obviously can't just put your foot down and speed through them, but by crossing into the junction slightly to let them past is fine.

Member Achievements

Gripper

This is a common urban myth.

You can move through a red light if safe to do so if there is an emergency service vehicle (on blues) behind you. It might be a life and death emergency and you will be justified in doing so.

You obviously can't just put your foot down and speed through them, but by crossing into the junction slightly to let them past is fine.

Id love to have you defend me at court on that Urban myth scenario.

As it stands there is nothing I can find that allows drivers to cross the stop line at a red light. My licence is clean and I want to keep it that way.

post-20606-14602732358989_thumb.jpg

Member Achievements

Felix.

Doesn't say if he appealed it and if he was successful, although a similar event later in the article shows an appeal was successful

If you have justification for moving through the red light, you will have no problem. Another example would be a sink hole opening up in the road behind you. Would you be justified to move across the line and save the lives of you car's occupants - or would you sit there and say "well, there's nothing i can do as the lights are on red"

I would suggest if you can justify your actions, you will be fine.

It seems as though the article depicts an automatic camera which has photo'd the offence - it would not know the circumstances and has just dished out the fine - an appeal by him would surly be successful.

I have driven on blues for the past 15 years and often have situations where i have no way through a junction unless someones goes through the red light (if the lights are on red on one carriage way, its normally the case that the other carriage way has a stream of oncoming traffic coming at you). Never heard of anyone in our area being prosecuted and i have never been asked to 'defend' a drivers actions in such cases

Member Achievements