Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
ecm17

Reporting untaxed vehicle to Police

ecm17

I have a question. My parents reported an untaxed and uninsured vehicle to the police. It took 3 weeks for police to respond to the matter and by then the vehicle was insured. The police spoke to the owner who denied using it when it wasn't insured. This was a lie but my parents understood they needed to have two eyewitnesses and there was only one witness (my mum). The police also told them that the askMID online database is not reliable.

However, the vehicle is still being used and is showing as untaxed since September 2015. This can be seen on the government site. The PC on the case wasn't interested stating it wasn't a police matter but a government one. Surely this isn't the case? It was my understanding that driving without tax was illegal and that in most cases it invalidates your car insurance? It is a concern because the car is being used to drive around a vulnerable family member.

Any knowledge on this would be helpful?

Reasonable Man

1. It does not invalidate insurance.

2. It's only illegal because it is avoiding paying the Government money - that is a DVLA matter not a police matter.

3. The police will report these cases to the DVLA when they come across them.

4. It's not an important matter for the police in the big scheme of things.

Sent from me using witchcraft

Member Achievements

ecm17

Thank you

Dan!Dan!Dan!

The police also told them that the askMID online database is not reliable.

Did you check the insurance status here?

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Member Achievements

ecm17

No my mistake, it's not, I will need to find out which site they used

Edited by ecm17

Policey_Man

As the others have said above, the Police would only report the tax issue to DVLA. However, with the new tax system, DVLA are usually very good at keeping on top of non payment, etc, so contact them directly if you're concerned.

In the grand scheme of things, this is rather minor compared to what the Police have to deal with. If you're sure he's driving without insurance, then feel free to report it again. The vehicle may have been put on a police watch list - it would be inappropriate of the officer to tell you about that or his other actions, even though you / your parents are the informant, as it's a private matter.

Just out of interest though, why are your parents checking other people's insurance? There are quite a few police / ANPR cameras around to do that...

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

As the others have said above, the Police would only report the tax issue to DVLA. However, with the new tax system, DVLA are usually very good at keeping on top of non payment, etc, so contact them directly if you're concerned.

In the grand scheme of things, this is rather minor compared to what the Police have to deal with. If you're sure he's driving without insurance, then feel free to report it again. The vehicle may have been put on a police watch list - it would be inappropriate of the officer to tell you about that or his other actions, even though you / your parents are the informant, as it's a private matter.

Just out of interest though, why are your parents checking other people's insurance? There are quite a few police / ANPR cameras around to do that...

Member Achievements