Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Marty McFly

Fake US Police Badge/ID in the UK

Marty McFly

Scenario:

You stop someone in London for a minor offence, say fare evasion or cycling through a red light on a Boris bike. 

The person is an American tourist, and produces a US Police/Federal Agent Badge and asks for some "professional courtesy", let's say to avoid getting dragged down that route you were planning on giving him a verbal warning regardless before he produced the badge once you verified his details and ran them through the box.

He doesn't look or act like a stereotypical US police officer, his body language is off and is hesitant when you ask simple questions out of curiousity he should know. You decide to make some enquiries with the relevant department in the US he purports to work for as you suspect he is not legit, and find out he is not a Police Officer/Agent as he claimed.

What offences does he commit?

Member Achievements

Chief Cheetah

Legal Disclaimer

This area of the forum is intended for members to seek advice on Law and Police Procedures applicable to England & Wales. Just like you would pop into your local police station to should the need arise. Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more.

Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

• Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.
  • Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.
  • You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Police Community Team

Member Achievements

Beaker

Would S90 still apply here? It doesn't specify that an impersonator has to claim they're a member of a UK force.

Member Achievements

Mazza

I don’t think S90 would apply and here’s my logic. The crime of impersonating a police officer to me implies that the accused would be impersonating a police officer with jurisdiction, otherwise there is no gain for the accused in impersonation. In this case there is no jurisdiction so I’m not sure there would be impersonation HOWEVER

Has the person been or will they commit an offence under US Legislation if they are in possession of that document? Can their identity be verified? What have they been using that false document for? Not sure what English laws apply but in Scotland could it constitute a fraud or forgery/uttering?

Member Achievements

Sceptre

It's not impersonation under S90 as the offence talks of impersonating a member of a police force or a special constable, both precisely defined phrases which doesn't include foreign law enforcement. It may well be fraud though, as he has dishonestly made a false representation intending to make a gain for himself by keeping the money he would otherwise had to pay in a fine. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mac7

I thought that the evidence required for someone to be found guilty of an impersonation offence to be quite high. Don’t quote me on that but I believe it has to be way more than someone producing an ID card and saying their a police officer. Granted this won’t apply in this case but it’s more of a general observation.

There are offences, I believe under the immigration act or ID documents act (or similar sounding legislation) that make it an offence to be in possession of a fake ID document.

Like most things it comes down to circumstances and proportionality. It sounds like he is trying it on much the way many of our service users try it on. If everything checks out (remember you can conduct immigration checks at the roadside) then it would be words of advice and away you go.

Member Achievements

Sceptre

There are, but a fake warrant card or police badge doesn't meet the definition of an identity document

Member Achievements

Chaos

Possession of articles to commit fraud? Why else would he be in possession of a US police badge?

Member Achievements

Mac7
Possession of articles to commit fraud? Why else would he be in possession of a US police badge?

What fraud?

Member Achievements

Chaos

What fraud?
I have no idea... Lol but it's all I can think of at the moment... It Could be used, like any fake ID be used in the connection of fraud...

Member Achievements

Mac7

I can see where you are coming from but any fraud related offence regarding this scenario is a non starter for me.

I can’t see any additional offences in this. I reiterate it would be words of advice and cut them loose from me. I doubt I would even deal with the red light aspect. It would not be a constructive use of police time especially in the current circumstances.

Member Achievements

Chaos
I can see where you are coming from but any fraud related offence regarding this scenario is a non starter for me.

I can’t see any additional offences in this. I reiterate it would be words of advice and cut them loose from me. I doubt I would even deal with the red light aspect. It would not be a constructive use of police time especially in the current circumstances.
Agreed.... I think an Intel report would be best placed... And if this produces any red flags as a result, then it can be best dealt with further down the line.

Member Achievements

Sceptre
19 hours ago, Mac7 said:

What fraud?

He's dishonestly made a false representation by producing the badge and claiming to be a law enforcement agent, in order to escape a fine and thus make a gain by keeping money he already has. If nothing else it's sufficient to seize the badge from him using stop and search powers, so he can't do it again. 

Dealing with the red light would probably be harder as I'm not sure graduated fixed penalties can be issued for cycling offences.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mac7
He's dishonestly made a false representation by producing the badge and claiming to be a law enforcement agent, in order to escape a fine and thus make a gain by keeping money he already has. If nothing else it's sufficient to seize the badge from him using stop and search powers, so he can't do it again. 
Dealing with the red light would probably be harder as I'm not sure graduated fixed penalties can be issued for cycling offences.

That’s stretching it a bit far isn’t it? He’s made a gain by not loosing anything? I don’t see how his actions come anywhere near a fraud offence.

What power are going to seize the card under?

Member Achievements

Sceptre
13 minutes ago, Mac7 said:

That’s stretching it a bit far isn’t it? He’s made a gain by not loosing anything? I don’t see how his actions come anywhere near a fraud offence.

S5(3) Fraud Act: “Gain” includes a gain by keeping what one has, as well as a gain by getting what one does not have.

13 minutes ago, Mac7 said:

What power are going to seize the card under?

He's in a public place, stop and search him for prohibited articles for use in frauds and seize it under S1 PACE

• Like 2

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David