BBC: Labour may suspend ex-leader Dugdale

Chief Bakes

• Management

Kezia Dugdale faces Labour suspension over I'm A Celebrity

• 18 November 2017
  • From the section Scotland
Kezia DugdaleImage copyright PA

Scottish Labour's new leader Richard Leonard has said the party's MSPs will consider suspension for his predecessor Kezia Dugdale.

Ms Dugdale, still an MSP, has been revealed as a surprise contestant in ITV's I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! programme.

Mr Leonard said he was a "bit disappointed" by her participation.

Ms Dugdale is understood to be donating her parliamentary salary to charity while she is on the show.

Mr Leonard said of a possible suspension for the former leader: "I think it's something the (parliamentary) group will have to consider."

"I awoke as many other people did this morning to the news that Kezia is going into that programme," he said, "and I think that is something the group is going to have to consider over the next few days and I think we will consider."

He added: "I was a bit disappointed but I think it is a decision the group is going to have to consider."

Ms Dugdale's decision to take part in the show has already been criticised by Scottish Labour MSP Jenny Marra, who tweeted: "Election to parliament is a privilege to serve and represent people. It's not a shortcut to celebrity."

Ms Marra, the MSP for North-East Scotland, also questioned whether the announcement was an "April Fool in November".

The ITV show launches this weekend, with other contestants including Boris Johnson's father Stanley and former footballer Dennis Wise.

All the other celebrities heading for the jungle were announced on Tuesday.

Boxer Amir Khan, Coronation Street's Jennie McAlpine footballer Jamie Vardy's wife Rebekah, The Saturdays singer Vanessa White and Hollyoaks actor Jamie Lomas will also be taking part.

The personalities will try to last three weeks with each other, and the local wildlife, in the camp.

Earlier, Scottish Labour said it was not officially commenting on Ms Dugdale's last minute inclusion in the line-up, but a party source said it would be a "fantastic opportunity" for the MSP to talk about policies and Labour values on a widely watched show.

"She puts other politicians to shame with her work ethic and I'm sure there will be huge support for her from Scottish viewers while she's in the jungle.

"She'll be back in time for the budget and will get straight down to work once again for the people of the Lothians," the source added.

Image copyright Joel Anderson/ITV
Image caption The rest of the contestants were announced earlier in the week

About 10 million people tune in to the show every night.

Ms Dugdale stood down as Scottish Labour leader in August. Richard Leonard was appointed as her successor on Saturday.

View the full article