Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Chief Bakes

BBC: MP Jared O'Mara quits equalities committee over homophobic remarks

Chief Bakes

MP Jared O'Mara quits equalities committee over homophobic remarks

Jared O'MaraImage copyright House of Commons

Labour MP Jared O'Mara has quit the Commons equality committee over online homophobic comments he made before being elected to parliament.

Mr O'Mara also made misogynistic remarks, joked about having an orgy with members of Girls Aloud and posted degrading comments about fat people.

The Sheffield Hallam MP, 36, was elected in June, unseating ex-deputy prime minister Nick Clegg.

Mr O'Mara resigned from the Women and Equalities Committee after apologising.

In posts made on the Drowned in Sound music website in 2004, Mr O'Mara claimed singer Michelle McManus only won Pop Idol "because she was fat" and said it would be funny if jazz star Jamie Cullum was "sodomised with his own piano".

'Horrendous and vile'

The posts were first reported by the Guido Fawkes website, which has since revealed that two years earlier Mr O'Mara made homophobic remarks on an internet forum.

The MP has also apologised for these comments and said he was "deeply ashamed" of his actions.

The Labour leadership described Mr O'Mara's online remarks as "horrendous" and "vile" but sources said he would not be suspended from the parliamentary party, BBC political correspondent Chris Mason reported.

Mr Mason said he understood Mr O'Mara addressed his colleagues at a meeting of Labour MPs and made "a full and very personal apology" for his remarks.

The @LGBTLabour group tweeted that it was "deeply concerned" by the MP's comments.

Lib Dem peer Lord Scriven, former leader of Sheffield Council, said: "It seems like a nasty pattern of sexist language and misogyny is developing from the Labour MP for Sheffield Hallam.

"He clearly isn't fit to sit on the Women and Equalities Committee. He must stand down from that committee immediately and if he doesn't, Jeremy Corbyn must take action to remove him."

Stella Creasy, Labour MP for Walthamstow, added she had asked for a meeting with Mr O'Mara to discuss his comments.

'Change their views'

However Wes Streeting, Labour MP for Ilford North, who was at the meeting earlier, said: "He offered what seemed to be a heartfelt and genuine apology and admitted that these are views he once held, which took guts.

"The battle for equality is a battle for hearts and minds and that must surely mean that people are allowed to change their views and therefore must also be offered a second chance.

"I hope I don't end up eating my words and that he demonstrates his commitment to equality as a new MP. I think we owe him that chance."

Image copyright PA
Image caption Girls Aloud were the subject of one of Mr O'Mara's online comments

In a statement, Mr O'Mara said he had been "wrong to make" the comments.

"I understand why they are offensive and deeply apologise for my use of such unacceptable language."

"I made the comments as a young man, at a particularly difficult time in my life, but that is no excuse."

Before his resignation from the committee, LGBT Labour said: "Whilst we recognise that these comments were made some time ago, that doesn't excuse such ignorance and bigotry.

"We expect a full and public apology from Mr O'Mara and ask that he meets with members of the LGBT Labour committee in order to understand the inequality many LGBT people face."

View the full article

Member Achievements

Chief Bakes
Jared O'MaraImage copyright House of Commons

Labour says it is investigating allegations about the "comments and behaviour" of its MP Jared O'Mara.

Mr O'Mara has already apologised for homophobic and misogynistic remarks he made online in 2002 and 2004 and quit the Commons equalities committee.

But he denies subsequent allegations of offensive language to a constituent in March this year.

Labour said it was investigating the more recent claims, which were made on BBC Two's Daily Politics.

"The party is investigating Jared O'Mara MP in relation to comments and behaviour which have been reported from earlier this year," it said.

Sexist language

Sophie Evans told the Daily Politics that Mr O'Mara called her an "ugly bitch" in March 2017, three months before he was elected in Sheffield Hallam. Mr O'Mara said this was "categorically untrue".

Rival parties have attempted to put pressure on the Labour leadership over Mr O'Mara, who unseated ex-Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg in June's general election.

In a letter to Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, Justine Greening, the Education Secretary and Equalities Minister, asked how Mr O'Mara had been selected as a candidate.

"Violent, sexist and homophobic language must have no place in our society, and parliamentarians of all parties have a duty to stamp out this sort of behaviour wherever we encounter it, and condemn it in the strongest possible terms," she wrote.

"It is time you step forward, as leader of the Labour Party, and send a message that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."

Lib Dem leader Sir Vince Cable called for Mr O'Mara to have the whip removed and urged Labour to review its general election selection process.

Mr O'Mara's apology came after online posts from 2004 were published by the Guido Fawkes website. In them, he claimed singer Michelle McManus only won Pop Idol "because she was fat" and said it would be funny if jazz star Jamie Cullum was "sodomised with his own piano".

More comments, involving homophobic language, then emerged dating back to 2002.

p05ktbtx.jpg
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionSophie Evans on Jared O'Mara comments: "I just thought wow, he is not a very nice man"

Mr O'Mara apologised to Labour MPs for these remarks at a meeting at Westminster on Monday evening.

His speech, which was described by sources as "emotional" and "heartfelt," was met with applause by Labour MPs.

He then told online magazine Huck he had been "through a journey of education".

He added: "I've stood down from the Women and Equalities select committee too - I think it's the right thing to do. I don't think I can continue on that committee when I feel so deeply ashamed of the man I was 15 years ago."

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell said: "He has apologised for what we knew yesterday. He issued a profuse apology.

"Any language like that we know is unacceptable and I'm hoping he will apologise for that."

View the full article

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

Am I alone in wondering what's misogynistic about calling Michelle McManus fat or homophobic saying Jamie Cullum should shove his piano up his behind? 

Maybe I've got thick skin. 

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Mac7

He's been a fool in the past and said some thing's he now regrets. People are allowed to change as they get on in life. I'm vastly different to when I was in my early 20's. I was only thinking the other day how liberal I am becoming as I approached a milestone age. I would never have had liberal thoughts back in the day.

He's messed up, put his hands up and apologised. Time to move on. Most politicians would have refused to answer the question like Cameron and cannabis.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Apparently he is supposed to have insulted a constituent in the last few weeks. If there was any justice he would resign as an MP, but M.P.'s don't do that anymore, something to do with no honour.

Member Achievements

bensonby
1 hour ago, Mac7 said:

He's been a fool in the past and said some thing's he now regrets. People are allowed to change as they get on in life. I'm vastly different to when I was in my early 20's. I was only thinking the other day how liberal I am becoming as I approached a milestone age. I would never have had liberal thoughts back in the day.

He's messed up, put his hands up and apologised. Time to move on. Most politicians would have refused to answer the question like Cameron and cannabis.

You've become MORE liberal with age? I thought getting more right wing was a sign of maturity and that you're growing up. 😂

Edited by bensonby
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Pathca

TBH I think I am becoming more liberal/ forgiving as I get older. I think experience teaches you things aren't always black and white 

Member Achievements

David
3 hours ago, MerseyLLB said:

Am I alone in wondering what's misogynistic about calling Michelle McManus fat or homophobic saying Jamie Cullum should shove his piano up his behind? 

Part of the problem is that too many people bandy words like 'misogynist' and 'racist' about without really having any true understanding of the word; you know, just something someone as heard someone else say and repeats it parrot fashion.

Not, I suppose, unlike someone being taught a welcoming phrase in a foreign language, which sounds great, but the person uttering it not really understanding what it is they're saying because they are merely repeating words they have been told to repeat.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mac7
You've become MORE liberal with age? I thought getting more right wing was a sign of maturity and that you're growing up.

It is worrying. I'm starting to care about human rights and all that jazz.

Member Achievements

Hyphen

I see that he has now been suspended by the Labour Party.

I think there are a number of issues here. The use of the word misogynistic is completely over the top and ridiculous based on what is available in the various articles. Equally so with regards to the allegation of being homophobic. I think as a society we need to understand that being rude, insulting, arguing or upsetting someone doesn’t automatically mean that it is sexist, racist or prejudiced.

At the same time I don’t necessarily agree with what this guy has said and it seems very mis judged. What I would say though especially the stuff from many years ago seems very much like immaturity. I challenge anyone to say that they have never made an immature comment which they probably regret as they get older and wiser.

The recent allegation which he does deny again doesn’t necessarily suggest any sexism. In a nutshell the allegation is that he has been rude to someone because he doesn’t like their appearance. We have no context as to what was said by the other person, was there an argument? Did it actually happen? Again, as I say, as unpleasant as it is it doesn’t automatically mean that he is a sexist.

Are we really saying that we have never said anything derogatory to another person? I’m not condoning going around causing people to be upset but I’m trying to look at it from a realistic point of view.

Not sure it’s proportionate to be suspended/potentially lose your job.

Member Achievements

Mac7

Completely agree. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

He epitomises  all that is wrong with the Corbynistas. There seem to be a lot of hate statements being made by them at the moment, and do not under estimate the public.

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal
He epitomises  all that is wrong with the Corbynistas. There seem to be a lot of hate statements being made by them at the moment, and do not under estimate the public.

He made comments 15 odd years ago. I am not sure that he epitomises anything other than the propensity for younger men in their early 20s to occasionally be d’heads.

I think that the reaction to his posts has been an overreaction.

Nonetheless, what I didn’t know about him until I looked him was that he is disabled. I wonder how he would have reacted if another MP referred to disabled people as ‘spacos’, questioned their parity as human beings to the able bodied or otherwise insulted their dignity?

He acted like a d’head but that doesn’t make him a monster or otherwise someone who shouldn’t be an MP. The key issue is whether he has changed.

Member Achievements

The Undertaker
2 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

This holier than thou attitude from you Zulu is quite unreal, especially considering the amount of people on this forum who have called you out for your homophobic remarks in the past on various threads. Imagine 15 years down the line you applied to become a MP and someone with a grudge emailed the party saying you made such and such remarks on an internet forum 15 years ago, and because of that  a witch hunt ensues? How is that fair and proportionate? 

There is no one out there who has not said anything stupid, or insulted someone, no one is perfect, we all make mistakes and for someone to dredge up a comment from 2004, is pathetic and scraping the barrel, the only difference is the internet records everything, forever.

Edited by The Undertaker
  • Like 2

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
20 hours ago, The Undertaker said:

This holier than thou attitude from you Zulu is quite unreal, especially considering the amount of people on this forum who have called you out for your homophobic remarks in the past on various threads. Imagine 15 years down the line you applied to become a MP and someone with a grudge emailed the party saying you made such and such remarks on an internet forum 15 years ago, and because of that  a witch hunt ensues? How is that fair and proportionate? 

There is no one out there who has not said anything stupid, or insulted someone, no one is perfect, we all make mistakes and for someone to dredge up a comment from 2004, is pathetic and scraping the barrel, the only difference is the internet records everything, forever.

Thank you for that comment. Perhaps it shows what I had said previously that people are not allowed to express an opinion other than yours or you jump on the bandwagon shouting, Homophobe, racist,  sexist or what ever you try to justify your disagreement. The comments he has consistently made have been of an insulting inflammatory  nature. Tim Farron was crucified for simply having an opinion that he did not agree with same sex marriage and his religious beliefs. I happen to very much agree with him but in your opinion that has you branding people for daring to have an opinion.

The problem is that O'Mara is still repeating similar comments, and has now been expelled from the party for his remarks.. 

Member Achievements

There are 9 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David