Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Chief Bakes

BBC: Corrie Mckeague: 'Nothing found' in airman landfill search

Zulu 22

But there comes a time when a line has to be drawn and say, enough is enough.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

How do we know he's been murdered...?

Member Achievements

Meditate

Dare I ask how much the McCanns ongoing investigation has cost in police time and was this funded from their donations?  It does seem that for every missing person investigation that is wound up there will always be a nagging doubt as to how this can be fair when some investigations just seem to go on and on.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
3 minutes ago, Meditate said:

Dare I ask how much the McCanns ongoing investigation has cost in police time and was this funded from their donations?  It does seem that for every missing person investigation that is wound up there will always be a nagging doubt as to how this can be fair when some investigations just seem to go on and on.

Resources are finite and not endless. The investigation remains open but the police have, as their first duty, public safety. There doesn't seem on the face of it to have been foul play, although ultimately we don't know. Given the many thousands of people who go missing in the UK, many who are vulnerable young people, then if a similar resource was to be applied to them, as in this case, the cost would be several billion pounds. I find it very hard to criticise the police for the massive efforts they have undertaken. Every additionally pound now spent on this case takes resources from equally deserving cases, not to mention children and vulnerable people who might not receive the level of protection they require due to a lack of resources.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
On 24/07/2017 at 20:00, Cathedral Bobby said:

Well it is sad but how many old and vulnerable, children and others won't be as safe if any more police resources are attached to finding this young man's remains.

The same could be said of a young female who went missing through the criminal negligence of her parents    in Portugal 

• Like 4

Member Achievements

Meditate
3 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Resources are finite and not endless. The investigation remains open but the police have, as their first duty, public safety. There doesn't seem on the face of it to have been foul play, although ultimately we don't know. Given the many thousands of people who go missing in the UK, many who are vulnerable young people, then if a similar resource was to be applied to them, as in this case, the cost would be several billion pounds. I find it very hard to criticise the police for the massive efforts they have undertaken. Every additionally pound now spent on this case takes resources from equally deserving cases, not to mention children and vulnerable people who might not receive the level of protection they require due to a lack of resources.

Yep, I understand all cases are unique. My comment was really from the perspective of the relatives who may question why for eg, the McCanns can go on for years yet their relative is wound up in a much shorter time. I do get the resource issue as well re both finance and manpower.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
4 minutes ago, MajorDisaster said:

The same could be said of a young female who went missing through the criminal negligence of her parents    in Portugal 

Couldn't agree more.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
6 minutes ago, Meditate said:

Yep, I understand all cases are unique. My comment was really from the perspective of the relatives who may question why for eg, the McCanns can go on for years yet their relative is wound up in a much shorter time. I do get the resource issue as well re both finance and manpower.

Well probably because she has two well connected professional parents who are media savvy. I agree that relatives may ask questions, but to be honest the amount of resources attached to the McCann case has been excessive in my personal view. Probably a case of not what you know but who?

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Meditate
33 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Well probably because she has two well connected professional parents who are media savvy. I agree that relatives may ask questions, but to be honest the amount of resources attached to the McCann case has been excessive in my personal view. Probably a case of not what you know but who?

And what you do and where on the social scale your job puts you perhaps?  I remember the question being asked at the time if it had been someone off a council estate where the investigation would have gone but I fear I am really taking us off topic. Even today its difficult to make comment in case it is seen as being critical ..... and I genuinely feel for the family. But back on topic it would be a thought I would be having if my son was missing and the investigation parked.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

I would like to think it would make no difference, but it probably does. I don't blame any family member for kicking up a stink, I would, but that should not be a reason for stopping the police making an honest decision regarding resources. There are hard questions. How many people might be saved/heled for the sake of finding the remains of an individual where foul play has not been strongly suspected.

Member Achievements