Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Sign in to follow this  
Chief Bakes

BBC: Scottish independence: Nicola Sturgeon to ask for second referendum

Chief Bakes

Scottish independence: Nicola Sturgeon to ask for second referendum

Nicola Sturgeon
Image caption Ms Sturgeon was speaking at her official Bute House residence in Edinburgh

Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed she will ask for permission to hold a second referendum on Scottish independence.

Ms Sturgeon said she wanted a vote to be held between the autumn of 2018 and the spring of the following year.

She said she would ask the Scottish Parliament next week for permission to request a Section 30 order from Westminster.

The move would allow a fresh legally-binding referendum to be held, if consent is granted.

Speaking at her official Bute House residence in Edinburgh, Ms Sturgeon said the people of Scotland must be offered a choice between a "hard Brexit" and becoming an independent country.

The Scottish government has published proposals which it says would allow Scotland to remain a member of the European single market even if the rest of the UK leaves, which Prime Minister Theresa May has said it will.

But Ms Sturgeon said the UK government had not "moved even an inch in pursuit of compromise and agreement" since the Brexit vote, which saw Scotland vote by 62% to 38% to remain the EU while the UK as a whole voted to leave.

The EU Withdrawal Bill is expected to complete its final stages in the UK Parliament later on Monday, which would allow Mrs May to then trigger Article 50 - which formally starts the Brexit process - as early as Tuesday.

Ms Sturgeon said Scotland stood at a "hugely important crossroads", and insisted she would continue to attempt to reach a compromise with the UK government.

But she added: "I will take the steps necessary now to make sure that Scotland will have a choice at the end of this process.

"A choice of whether to follow the UK to a hard Brexit, or to become an independent country able to secure a real partnership of equals with the rest of the UK and our own relationship with Europe."

View the full article

Member Achievements

Rocket

Does Sturgeon even realise that a yes vote in the #indyref2 would mean leaving the UK and also that Scotland would have to apply for EU membership like other counties such as Montenegro currently are?

• Like 2

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
44 minutes ago, Rocket said:

Does Sturgeon even realise that a yes vote in the #indyref2 would mean leaving the UK and also that Scotland would have to apply for EU membership like other counties such as Montenegro currently are?

Probably, but, like most zealots she doesn't care.  It could be fun to watch Scotland implode in the event of a Yes vote.  Mrs May would be utterly brutal at pulling all Westminster controlled assets out.

Member Achievements

Rocket

Then there's NATO to reapply to as well.  the nuclear subs (and the related employment)would very likely be removed from Faslane so what other military assets does Scotland have - does it have a Navy?

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

The SNP have historically been opposed to NATO membership so it wouldn't necessarily follow that an independent Scotland would reapply to NATO depending on who ends up in power afterwards.

Sad to see the bitter and vindictive rhetoric towards your northern neighbours has already begun though.

• Like 1

Rocket

@Milankovitch are you saying that there is "bitter and vindictive rhetoric" in this topic? If so why and challenge it please.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

No, I'm not... You being the resident twitter expert I'm sure you already know all about it.

Edited by Milankovitch

Rocket
8 minutes ago, Milankovitch said:

No, I'm not... You being the resident twitter expert I'm sure you already know all about it.

Am I? I challenge you to back that up.

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

You frequently make posts regarding goings on on Twitter, surely you can't be denying that... :mellow:

Cathedral Bobby

If there is a Ref 2 I sincerely hope we remain a United Kingdom. The Scots have a high level of devolved power and like England, Wales and NI are nations in their own right, although we have very little devolved in England. We are stronger together.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Jedi Knight

What gets me is why can't she wait until we actually know what the outcome of the negotiations are? Surely that would be the best option. Maybe the First Minister is scared of the UK actually getting a decent deal from the EU that would scupper her one track agenda.

As it goes I suspect she'll have to wait until after the EU deal is done anyway as it makes no sense to have an independence  debate running alongside EU negotiations as any EU negotiation will be dependant on the UK as a whole being involved in the deal.

13 hours ago, Milankovitch said:

The SNP have historically been opposed to NATO membership so it wouldn't necessarily follow that an independent Scotland would reapply to NATO depending on who ends up in power afterwards.

Well according to Mr Salmond this morning on the news they will quite happily become members of NATO.. Just shows they'll do anything and say anything  to ruin Scotland

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

She should concentrate on providing and improving the services that she has power over, Health, Education etc. The Scottish Parliament are making a mess of most of those issues.

Member Achievements

Jedi Knight
1 hour ago, Zulu 22 said:

She should concentrate on providing and improving the services that she has power over, Health, Education etc. The Scottish Parliament are making a mess of most of those issues.

I quite enjoy watching PMQ's on TV at times. Especially when the SNP moan about something and then it gets thrown back at them that they could do something about by using the powers that have been devolved.  They never seem to come up with anything constructive. All that seems to come from them is moans and groans.

Even if they get their way they'll just blame the EU parliament instead of Westminster.

My only worry about this whole scenario is that if she gets independence and makes a mess of it I may not be able to go home and  have to spend my retirement in England... :20_EmoticonsHDcom:

Member Achievements