Tb202

MET Police What's up with the scruffy uniforms?

Scruffy Police Officers   81 members have voted

1. 1. Do the public care if Police Officers look scruffy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the occasion

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

219 posts in this topic

So I was reading ''The Job '' and this is on the cover....

I don't mean to be rude or anything but to be honest on the construction site that I worked I've seen laborers dressed a lot better and smarter than ''London's Finest''.

No seriously what's up with the scruffy look?  

86f21c9a1a.jpg

I honestly think the Met have one of the scruffiest looking uniforms going. The stab vests seem to make anybody with anything less than washboard abs look obese, having the trousers a different colour to the vest looks awful and the stupid practice of making a peaked cap look all floppy is dreadful. I know people think a shirt and tie looks smart but not with the rest of the uniform it doesn't.

2 people like this

Member Achievements

I have to agree with both of the above posts apologies to any Met officers. 

I don't quite get the white shirts with black body armour (which looks awful on its own) and blue trousers.

Surely it would look better all black or all blue?

2 people like this

Member Achievements

1 hour ago, Tb202 said:

So I was reading ''The Job '' and this is on the cover....

I don't mean to be rude or anything but to be honest on the construction site that I worked I've seen laborers dressed a lot better and smarter than ''London's Finest''.

No seriously what's up with the scruffy look?  

Personally, I think the biggest issue is the trousers. The newer cargo pants just look plain bad, and fade incredibly quickly, making them just get worse. Throw in that most borough officers don't wear their tie either and they just look like a bag of.. rubbish.

The unit I work on has much higher standards of appearance, and everybody wears the old dark trousers and their ties.. so we don't look half as bad.

1 hour ago, Milankovitch said:

I honestly think the Met have one of the scruffiest looking uniforms going. The stab vests seem to make anybody with anything less than washboard abs look obese, having the trousers a different colour to the vest looks awful and the stupid practice of making a peaked cap look all floppy is dreadful. I know people think a shirt and tie looks smart but not with the rest of the uniform it doesn't.

The stab vests thing applies mostly to the newer bulkier models. If you look fat in the old thinner vests then it's probably not the fault of the vest..

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the shirt and tie, but when it's worn with the old trousers it looks fairly smart.

Edited by Growley
2 people like this

Member Achievements

I think for all practical purposes the white shirt and tie have had their day for general patrol work. That's coming from someone who is starting get old and has actually worn a cape, albeit only for a  few months, then  I was issued with  a long  gabardine mac. When officers are required to wear heavy armour and plastic jackets etc on duty then they need an easily cleaned and absorbent shirt to go with them . The idea that wearing a shirt and tie gives an impression to the public of efficiency is an outdated one. "The world has changed and we must change with it" I just forget who said that, but they were right.  Rich.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

20 minutes ago, Remmy said:

I have to agree with both of the above posts apologies to any Met officers. 

I don't quite get the white shirts with black body armour (which looks awful on its own) and blue trousers.

Surely it would look better all black or all blue?

Don't Merseyside wear white shirts and black body armour? I appreciate SFOs will be wearing different kit, but the basic patrol kit is almost the same isn't it?

Member Achievements

19 minutes ago, Growley said:

Don't Merseyside wear white shirts and black body armour? I appreciate SFOs will be wearing different kit, but the basic patrol kit is almost the same isn't it?

No blue trousers here although they do have a tendency to fade. 

Member Achievements

37 minutes ago, Growley said:

I think the point Remmy is making is more do with the black armour and blue trousers rather than white shirts and black armour.

Member Achievements

37 minutes ago, Growley said:

Yes white shirts but with black body armour and black trousers, which I still think is daft. ARVs wear black shirts with black combat trousers and black body armour which is a lot smarter and more practical.

However myself personally think the North Wales uniform is far smarter and more practical. 

It seems our leaders want to cling to an old fashioned image of the police regardless of whether it's practical or comfortable.

Member Achievements

6 minutes ago, Remmy said:

Yes white shirts but with black body armour and black trousers, which I still think is daft. ARVs wear black shirts with black combat trousers and black body armour which is a lot smarter and more practical.

However myself personally think the North Wales uniform is far smarter and more practical. 

If I recall correctly, the North Wales Police uniform now includes a sort of turtle neck top like this?

Image result for north wales police uniform

It's a step in the right direction, but if we were going that way I'd personally prefer a polo shirt; I just think they look smarter, and don't really lose anything in comfort.

As for practicality, what are we actually talking about when we say it? I mean, the UBA wicking shirts the Met uses are perfectly fine for everyday policing, and unless your collar is too small don't impede anything you do. I'd argue they're perfectly practical, they just don't look all that.

6 minutes ago, Remmy said:

It seems our leaders want to cling to an old fashioned image of the police regardless of whether it's practical or comfortable.

I think there's an element of a traditional image that some Police leaders aspire to keep (or at least are afraid to deviate from) but my opinion has changed in recent years to think that smartness is pretty important.

When you look smart, you feel smart... and I genuinely believe this impacts on how you act, whether consciously or not. It probably has something to do with why I'm a fan of the NYPD uniform:

Image result for nypd uniform

Member Achievements

Merseyside wear the shirt and tie combo brilliantly, I agree the MET does look scruffy. If you look at GMP though, I don't think I've seen two officers wearing the same uniform yet, mainly down to all the different vest/tac vests they issue.  They look extremely scruffy.

If we are going down the all black route, I think we should take Essex as an example, watching 'TheForce: Essex' on Sky One, they look very smart.

Edited by ashbfc
Spelling

Member Achievements

Sorry, is someone expecting some logical decision making from the MET?

All the officer I know hate our uniform. 

4 people like this

Member Achievements

4 minutes ago, ashbfc said:

Merseyside wear the shirt and tie combo brilliantly, I agree the MET does look scruffy. If you look at GMP though, I don't think I've seen two officers wearing the same uniform yet, mainly down to all the different vest/tac vests they issue.  They look extremely scruffy.

If we are going down the all black route, I think we should take Essex as an example, watching 'TheForce: Essex' on Sky One, they look very smart.

I went to an Essex nick a couple years ago to nick someone they had in custody, and unless it's changed their tops are made of that 'Clima-cool' material. The guys wearing them seemed happy, but they just looked very cheap to me.

Member Achievements

1 hour ago, Growley said:

Personally, I think the biggest issue is the trousers. The newer cargo pants just look plain bad, and fade incredibly quickly, making them just get worse. Throw in that most borough officers don't wear their tie either and they just look like a bag of.. rubbish.

The unit I work on has much higher standards of appearance, and everybody wears the old dark trousers and their ties.. so we don't look half as bad.

The stab vests thing applies mostly to the newer bulkier models. If you look fat in the old thinner vests then it's probably not the fault of the vest..

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the shirt and tie, but when it's worn with the old trousers it looks fairly smart.

Are you allowed to buy your own shirt and pants that fit if they are the same style color?

I don't know anyone who has ever asked (because why on earth would you want to buy your own uniform?) but I suspect the answer is no.

Member Achievements