Border Force Cutters to deploy to the Mediterranean

Fritz

It's reported that, as well as HMS Bulwark, David Cameron has committed two Border Force Cutters to the beefed-up operations in the Mediterranean.

On a good day, only three of the five cutters is operational, theoretically having to patrol the entire UK coastline between them.

Committing two outside UK waters for an extended period may help with the current emergency, but doesn't bode well for protecting our own shores from uncanalised border threats.

Lets hope they don't get into any trouble, I doubt the border force will be in a position to defend its self against international criminals in international waters alone

Lets hope they don't get into any trouble, I doubt the border force will be in a position to defend its self against international criminals in international waters alone

One report claimed the cutters would be able to tow refugee boats and blow up empty ones! Not sure what the Press think the cutters are equipped with.

There is precedent for them to be joined by the military for armed support, so you never know. Coincidentally, a joint operation with Navy secured a ship and nine suspected cocaine smugglers off Scotland yesterday.

I'm most concerned about the lack of UK cover, especially in light of yesterday's seizure, if two boats head to the Med.

One report claimed the cutters would be able to tow refugee boats and blow up empty ones! Not sure what the Press think the cutters are equipped with.

There is precedent for them to be joined by the military for armed support, so you never know. Coincidentally, a joint operation with Navy secured a ship and nine suspected cocaine smugglers off Scotland yesterday.

I'm most concerned about the lack of UK cover, especially in light of yesterday's seizure, if two boats head to the Med.

Exactly my point, people smuggling is big money, therefore could attract serious people who don't want it stopped. An properly armed body of men is the only way to approach such things

Typical of our government to "play the major power" but without actually investing in enough kit to actually do it properly.

What about sending the one or two P2000 patrol boats from gibraltar?

What about sending the one or two P2000 patrol boats from gibraltar?

There aren't any Archer class vessels in Gibraltar any more, they were replaced by two Scimitar class vessels a while back.

The BF could spray them with the hose on the front of their cutters!

I'm surprised Europe has not asked the Irish Naval Service to contribute to the operation. They have eight vessels complete with weaponry if needed. 

I'm surprised Europe has not asked the Irish Naval Service to contribute to the operation. They have eight vessels complete with weaponry if needed.

Perhaps we could ask the Swiss Navy to help out?

Perhaps we could ask the Swiss Navy to help out?

And your point is? 

And your point is?

An ironic commentary on the limitations of British and other European naval resources in these modern times.

An ironic commentary on the limitations of British and other European naval resources in these modern times.

​Well the I've just read the Irish Prime Minister has confirmed that a Naval Service vessel is planned to join the SAR efforts. 

I seem to recall that there is a treaty that allows 'border police' to be deployed across Europe on specific operations. I think that this arrangement does come with powers of arrest when working as part of this coordinated force. I am not sure how this would work in reality?

I think that utilising the military in such circumstances may create constitutional issues.

I guess that the Russian navy could volunteer their services? They seem to spend enough time paddling around Europe engaged in 'training'. 

Edited by ParochialYokal

I seem to recall that there is a treaty that allows 'border police' to be deployed across Europe on specific operations. I think that this arrangement does come with powers of arrest when working as part of this coordinated force. I am not sure how this would work in reality?

I think that utilising the military in such circumstances may create constitutional issues.

I guess that the Russian navy could volunteer their services? They seem to spend enough time paddling around Europe engaged in 'training'. 

The British military ace operated internationally since its existence and extensively in recent years. No one is challenging other countries leadership by their deployment, in fact quite to the contrary, the navy land in foreign ports every day. The military is far better placed to deploy than the border force cutters, simple things such as being self sustainable in all respects for greater periods, training to deal with hostile threats, armed and ready. 

But but as always I'm open to someone who is currently on said cutters to educate me. 

But would the navy have a power of arrest?

And what is it that the navy can actually do in relation to illegal immigrants?