Officer in Charge practices and relates issues

Feline2017

Hello

To  cut a long story short I was arrested on suspicion of harassment/stalking (unspecified and no  allegation of  violence/ threats )   of ex   many months ago now and bailed  then  RUi         Would the OiC  tell a suspect if  their case is to be  referred to CPS  or charged or dropped  or  just leave it  for a letter/requisition to arrive     My questions might provide  answers  of  benefit to other  members or readers of this forum.   If it is deemed  unsuitable  for inclusion then my apologies.   

My  OiC  rarely or very slowly gets  back to enquiries.    I don't  want to pester  because on one hand I get it that there is a hefty workload  and  I won't    as I wouldn't like  to enhance  an impression of being an overly  persistent  person given the nature of the investigation !     Also when  you  are  bailed with quite  strict  conditions and then  converted to RUI does  that mean  a  senior  officer  now thinks differently of the  perceived risk that led  to to the  conditions  quite  recently.        At least  that's how I interpreted it .   They  did tell me I was likely  to be  converted in advance  and  that there was no need to go  down on X  day of X month.  

Another  thing I have noticed is that no  indication is given up to this point  (orally  at or post arrest or  interview  or  in any  custody paperwork  that you  can  get  copies of  )    of what section it  is thought you may have breached.     I  assumed  from  what was  disclosed at interview re alleged impact that   the non aggravated version of the offence/s  applied  but then what if the complainant months  in says their  impact is now  evolved to be  substantial  or that they now  feel afraid when they  didn't  prior to the police  intervention.  

Thanks 

• Admin Team

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more. Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

[*]Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.

[*]Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.

[*]You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Administration Team Police Community

Generally, depending on the force the investigation/enquiry log will require updates to be passed to the suspect, however unlike updates for the victim these are less often and no such time frame is set. Certainly, depending on workloads and outstanding enquiries in your case then I wouldn't expect weekly updates. 

Something like stalking or harassment could take months to finalise depending on if there are digital enquiries, due to backlogs and as a domestic related matter will require submission to CPS for a disposal decision. Out of interest when did you last have an update?

Edit: And to add that the offence you may be charged with can be different to that which you were arrested or interviewed for. Depending on what evidence comes to light during the investigation and which offence is most suitable.

Edited by PCSD
Final Paragraph

When we're you arrested? Did they seize any devices?

You're perfectly entitled to an update. Contact the OIC and ask.

On 02/12/2022 at 18:41, Jeebs said:

To digress, this is the problem with RUI…..worst….idea…..evaaaaar 

Yeah who knew that the politicisation of bail would have been such a car crash?

Only everyone in the CJS obviously. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2022 at 20:24, PCSD said:

Generally, depending on the force the investigation/enquiry log will require updates to be passed to the suspect, however unlike updates for the victim these are less often and no such time frame is set. Certainly, depending on workloads and outstanding enquiries in your case then I wouldn't expect weekly updates. 

Something like stalking or harassment could take months to finalise depending on if there are digital enquiries, due to backlogs and as a domestic related matter will require submission to CPS for a disposal decision. Out of interest when did you last have an update?

Edit: And to add that the offence you may be charged with can be different to that which you were arrested or interviewed for. Depending on what evidence comes to light during the investigation and which offence is most suitable.

Thank you and my apologies for not  replying sooner.    I had  the last update in the summer and  then was  interviewee under caution since my post here  and  interviewed  since my post here about several times I was seen in public in the summer months during RUI   (  raised  in recent  weeks months   after each of them  )  all of which I believe  I answered satisfactorily and the  duty  solicitor does not think it likely  to be progressed.    Usefully  a mutual friend I share with the complainant had advised me to document my movements.     There was  phone  seizure earlier in the year but not since.        

My  reply  above has  an error   where I made it sound like I was interviewed twice    I should have  written as  follows

Thank you and my apologies for not  replying sooner.    I had  the last update in the summer and  then was  interviewed under caution since my post here   about several times I was seen in public in the summer months during RUI   (  raised  in recent  weeks months   after each of them  )  all of which I believe  I answered satisfactorily and the  duty  solicitor does not think it likely  to be progressed.    Usefully  a mutual friend I share with the complainant had advised me to document my movements.     There was  phone  seizure earlier in the year but not since.