Daily mail. New Met Police chief Sir Mark Rowley launches misconduct crackdown as plans are unveiled to give officers work smartphones that can be monitored after string of scandals

Member of public 1

Metropolitan police officers will be given smartphones in a bid to crack down on misconduct and improve their access to technology.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11233887/Met-Police-chief-launches-misconduct-crackdown-plans-unveiled-officers-work-smartphones.html

They use their personal phones now? That's ridiculous, even the BTP have smartphones with access to PNC 🙄

• Like 1

Yet again the Met claiming some sort of advancement when the rest of the UK have had mobile devices for at least 10 years. I had a blackberry with PNC access in 2013!

• Like 1

I'm surprised there's forces using their personal phones to collect evidence, what happens if it needs to be seized and your without it for months at a time?

2 hours ago, Equin0x said:

I'm surprised there's forces using their personal phones to collect evidence, what happens if it needs to be seized and you’re without it for months at a time?

Why would the phone need to be seized when the evidence of it has been provided by the officer? 

Digital evidence from victims and witnesses phones can be dealt with in hours not months. 

13 hours ago, Ether said:

Why would the phone need to be seized when the evidence of it has been provided by the officer? 

Digital evidence from victims and witnesses phones can be dealt with in hours not months. 

Because if Professional Standards or the IOPC are involved it needs dragging out as long as possible, to cause the maximum inconvenience and distress to the officer involved. All under the guise of leaving no stone unturned.

• Like 2

Brilliant idea. Company phone for work, private / personal phone for naughty things.  Or are the bosses expecting them to use them for naughty things as well!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, POM0272 said:

Because if Professional Standards or the IOPC are involved it needs dragging out as long as possible, to cause the maximum inconvenience and distress to the officer involved. All under the guise of leaving no stone unturned.

I interpreted the question as an officer uses their own phone for images at a scene. Makes them a witness and witness phones should be prioritised for examination, unlike suspects. 

On 21/09/2022 at 15:30, ChristopherM said:

They use their personal phones now? That's ridiculous, even the BTP have smartphones with access to PNC 🙄

"Even BTP" 

😂 Come on... 

• Haha 2