Facebook demands LAPD end social media surveillance and use of fake accounts

Equin0x

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/18/facebook-lapd-social-media-surveillance-fake-accounts

Facebook is demanding that the Los Angeles police department cease all use of “dummy” accounts on its platforms and stop collecting data on users for surveillance.

Bit ironic Facebook asking others to stop spying on users, given their history

On 20/11/2021 at 14:29, Equin0x said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/18/facebook-lapd-social-media-surveillance-fake-accounts

Facebook is demanding that the Los Angeles police department cease all use of “dummy” accounts on its platforms and stop collecting data on users for surveillance.

Bit ironic Facebook asking others to stop spying on users, given their history

Public domain so they're gonna find that pretty difficult to enforce. Besides, I'll law enforcement agencies do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SD said:

Public domain so they're gonna find that pretty difficult to enforce. Besides, I'll law enforcement agencies do it.

I disagree. If they are having to create dummy accounts to gain access to data they otherwise wouldn't be able to see, if it would not normally be available to them, I don't see how you can argue that data is public domain.

What really interested me in this story was Facebook actually taking the moral high ground on surveillance of their users. I'd love to believe they are taking a principled stance, but I suspect there are more selfish motivations. Some of the people involved with Facebook are also involved with big data analytics, and they would probably prefer you outsource your surveillance requirements to them (for a hefty fee of course) and every police department doing their own surveillance is one less customer for them

Facebook will have no right to take any Moral High Ground until they do things, like, Pay their Taxes in full and respect other peoples privacy. Until then their accounts are open to scrutiny.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2021 at 18:15, Zulu 22 said:

Facebook will have no right to take any Moral High Ground until they do things, like, Pay their Taxes in full and respect other peoples privacy. Until then their accounts are open to scrutiny.

Let's not forget about their politically motivated promotion of posts, groups and general content that were uncritically supportive of the Democratic Party and vaccination, and their mass expunging of any group even remotely balanced, much less supportive of the Republicans during the presidential election.

I am by no means a supporter of Trump (I genuinely believe the man is a dangerously petulant child who deserved both impeachments and should have been imprisoned for his attempts to over-turn certain state electoral returns) and I have received both vaccinations and will be getting my O variant booster, but Facebook's far-left, Police-hating, anti-Republican and pro-BLM promoting fascist tactics and agenda are undeniable, as well as their global influence.

To quote an artist's opinion on the matter:

"Censorship's an issue 'cause they choose what to erase / There's a difference between Hate-speech and speech that you hate"
"Censoring the facts turns our children into idiots, they say it's for our safety, I'll tell you it really is / Removing information that empowers all the citizens, the truth doesn't damage points of view that are legitimate"