Court Exhibit Numbers

Indiana Jones

I was wondering...

There's no (to the best of my knowledge) set format for court exhibits. Most seem to use the IJ/1 style of reference, but I know that Hampshire tend to use a more elaborate system with sub-references (eg for snippets of redacted BWV footage).

I wondered what was used in your force? Is it dictated by the force or are you free to use what you wish?

You've kind of answered it already by saying you know of one force that has a set formula and others that don't.  
with plans etc, tend to use BB/1, BB/2 for the large plans and anything that derives from each of them as /1A, /1B etc, so you can easily see a relationship such as enlarged areas or cross-sections etc of the big ones.  Same concept with photos and other media.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Indiana Jones said:

I was wondering...

There's no (to the best of my knowledge) set format for court exhibits. Most seem to use the IJ/1 style of reference, but I know that Hampshire tend to use a more elaborate system with sub-references (eg for snippets of redacted BWV footage).

I wondered what was used in your force? Is it dictated by the force or are you free to use what you wish?

What @BlueBob + said:

Person recovering initials - AB/1

Sub exhibits - AB/1a

Disks or Tapes from interview- suspects initials followed by, interview number and tape/disk no - AB/1/1 first interview 

AB/2/1 second interview 

• Thanks 1

On 17/11/2021 at 21:22, Ether said:

What @BlueBob + said:

Person recovering initials - AB/1

Sub exhibits - AB/1a

Disks or Tapes from interview- suspects initials followed by, interview number and tape/disk no - AB/1/1 first interview 

AB/2/1 second interview 

I always exhibit the interview as my exhibit. Just seems more logical, but each to their own. If I exhibit 2 interviews then just AB1 and AB2. If I'm exhibiting a part of something that someone has already exhibited, then regardless of what their exhibit number is, I still exhibit with mine.

41 minutes ago, Occifer Dribble said:

I always exhibit the interview as my exhibit. Just seems more logical, but each to their own. If I exhibit 2 interviews then just AB1 and AB2. If I'm exhibiting a part of something that someone has already exhibited, then regardless of what their exhibit number is, I still exhibit with mine.

That’s the way we are taught, it helps distinguish tapes from other exhibits and aids if there is more than one master. But in the grand scheme of things, it matters not a bit.