IOPC

Chaos

Has anyone heard of someone suing the IOPC for wrongful prosecution?

I mean who makes sure they are doing their job properly, it seems like they are a law to themselves.

The IOPC doesn’t prosecute. It refers cases to the CPS if it considers the criminal threshold has been met, just like the police do. 

3 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

The IOPC doesn’t prosecute. It refers cases to the CPS if it considers the criminal threshold has been met, just like the police do. 

They also direct a Chief Constable to take discipline hearings.

3 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

They also direct a Chief Constable to take discipline hearings.

you did say prosecutions and disciplinaries are not a prosecution.  Having said that, haven't there been some compensations paid out arising from them?

Question for officers who support the principle/idea of the IOPC, but don't think they are currently living up to it. What changes would you like to see?

Edited by Equin0x

1 hour ago, BlueBob said:

you did say prosecutions and disciplinaries are not a prosecution.  Having said that, haven't there been some compensations paid out arising from them?

I think you will find that it was Reaasonableman who made that comment, to which I responded saying that they could direct a Chief Constable to hold a disciplinary hearing.

1 hour ago, Zulu 22 said:

I think you will find that it was Reaasonableman who made that comment, to which I responded saying that they could direct a Chief Constable to hold a disciplinary hearing.

Do they have authority to order that or could a chief constable in theory refuse?

5 hours ago, Equin0x said:

Do they have authority to order that or could a chief constable in theory refuse?

Going off the OP - they have the authority to direct the appropriate authority (Chief Constable) to hold misconduct proceedings. The appropriate authority has a range of options, including taking no further action or discontinuing proceedings. 

15 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Apologies.   Guess that Reasonableman has picked up the concept by now 😀

Edited by BlueBob
Typo
  • Like 1

Ok prohaps prosecution was the wrong terminology... Has the IOPC been Heald to account for wrongfully investergating officers when there was no case to answer.

They but officers though months if not years of investergation only for cps to throw is out with no case to answer... When from the outset the IOPC should never have picked it up.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

They but officers though months if not years of investergation only for cps to throw is out with no case to answer... When from the outset the IOPC should never have picked it up.

What specifically do you think the IOPC should do differently?

Being Independent, Competent and Honest would be a good start.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Being Independent, Competent and Honest would be a good start.

Can you give an example where you feel they haven't, and what you would have done differently?

38 minutes ago, Equin0x said:

Can you give an example where you feel they haven't, and what you would have done differently?

Well I have represented three and been subject to one myself. With mine the Chief Constable was instructed to proceed which he did.  The hearing took a full day, I was exonerated, and then got an unheard of event of receiving a Chief Constable's Commendation for the actions that I had taken. As my "Friend" said, "I did not see that coming"

The actions of the IOPC have featured on this Forum under many topics. The IOPC's incompetence have been highlighted many times and highlighted that they are far from Independent.

If the time that they took over an investigation was replicated by a Police Officer they would have serious questions to answer. 

Someone might be able to write a thesis on it for you but, not me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Well I have represented three and been subject to one myself. With mine the Chief Constable was instructed to proceed which he did.  The hearing took a full day, I was exonerated, and then got an unheard of event of receiving a Chief Constable's Commendation for the actions that I had taken. As my "Friend" said, "I did not see that coming"

But what did they actually do (in the one you were subjected to) that you don't think was fair or independent? I'm sure that as a police officer you investigated people who were later exonerated of whatever you initially suspected them of, but that doesn't mean you were wrong to investigate. You criticize the IOPC but what specifically would you do differently?