Acting Off Duty

Zulu 22
13 hours ago, BizzieBee said:

That isn’t the policy for all forces. Met and City can carry baton and cuffs to/from work. 

Cuffs are widely available and anyone can carry them in any case. I’m not sure why so many people think they’re for on duty Police. Baffles me. 

Carrying them other than to and from work would lead to some awkward questions meaning a no-no. I used to carry them to and from work until we got the PPE, belt and stuff then it was too cumbersome and a pain in the buttock.

As for being widely available for everyone, whilst strictly true it would be very easy to be using them for an unlawful purpose. To discuss that scenario could take a whole thesis.

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zulu 22

• BizzieBee

• Wilts20

• BlueBob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be a professional witness, not a professional victim, unless you really need to go hands on and get involved. Clearly 999 is going to be the quickest way to get people to you, without PPE and an

@Javissdaviss * Thats a sixty four dollar question if ever I heard one, but its a good one . A long  time ago in the eighties sometime we had a special who was in a similar predicament. He was in

There is the possibility that they had the number to their NPT/Response office however I'd always steer clear of that as if anything happens you don't have an audit trail to go by. By phoning 999 it w

BizzieBee

I rarely take baton anywhere unless required as on location the next day / shift. 

Cuffs... nearly always carry a pair. Including shops / cinema, etc. Have rarely had cause to use them but, when I have, I’m glad I’ve had them ...

• Sad 1
SimonT

If you are taking your baton places that aren't too and from work I would definitely not do that. 

I would also seriously consider putting those cuffs away. You don't have to but I think you are setting yourself up rather than protecting yourself. 

BlueBob
4 hours ago, BizzieBee said:

Cuffs... nearly always carry a pair. Including shops / cinema, etc. Have rarely had cause to use them but, when I have, I’m glad I’ve had them ...

They must be really uncomfortable when you go swimming as well..  I know they say that it is each to their own, but in this case, from my perspective, You are ... on your own. 

• Haha 1
Ether
2 hours ago, SimonT said:

If you are taking your baton places that aren't too and from work I would definitely not do that. 

I would also seriously consider putting those cuffs away. You don't have to but I think you are setting yourself up rather than protecting yourself. 

Some DC got charged for carrying a baton off duty recently 

Father Jack

I also recall someone from my old force getting charged for carrying their baton off duty.  I don't think it ended well. 

Father Jack
2 hours ago, BlueBob said:

They must be really uncomfortable when you go swimming as well..  I know they say that it is each to their own, but in this case, from my perspective, You are ... on your own. 

They tend to rust, in water. Pretty sure my old marine section used plasti cuffs instead. 😂

BizzieBee

Baton, no. Unless to / from work. Whoever carried that whilst roaming ought to know better. 
Nothing wrong with cuffs. Very useful in fact. 
Although I don’t wear them swimming .... Haha ! 

Jack McCoy

I've seen a few things kicking off whilst off duty. Up in Scotland I carried my warrant card in my wallet, but down south, it's always on a lanyard so I pretty much never have it on me unless I'm going to or coming back from work.

Regardless, I've never gotten involved personally unless it was colleagues who were struggling with someone. I always dial 999 and identify myself as an off duty cop (from a safe distance and out of earshot of course) and stay on scene to be said 'professional witness'. The only time I call my own station is when I notice someone who is wanted walking around and prefer to get through to a Sgt immediately as they won't have to faff about with PNC checks, they 'll know exactly who I'm on about, what they 're wanted for and their warning markers.

• 4 weeks later...
Fry
On 20/01/2021 at 01:18, BizzieBee said:

That isn’t the policy for all forces. Met and City can carry baton and cuffs to/from work. 

Cuffs are widely available and anyone can carry them in any case. I’m not sure why so many people think they’re for on duty Police. Baffles me. 

Can we?  I think the MPS can carry (as in have in their possession "off duty") when if there's OST the next day, court the next day, parading at a different site the next day, or if performing an actual on call function (and then taking it all back the other way)  You can't carry it home and back as standard.

• Like 1
BizzieBee
1 hour ago, Fry said:

You can't carry it home and back as standard.

Hmm. That’s not what I was led to believe. I believe ‘Roy’ said you could, too....

Handcuffs, anyone can carry. Baton, obviously when authorised. 

it’s always mentioned at PST each year ... ? 

Reasonable Man
On 26/01/2021 at 00:06, Jack McCoy said:

... The only time I call my own station is when I notice someone who is wanted walking around and prefer to get through to a Sgt immediately as they won't have to faff about with PNC checks, they 'll know exactly who I'm on about, what they 're wanted for and their warning markers.

Had a colleague disciplined and the ‘perp’ paid compensation for unlawful arrest because he ‘knew’ the perp was wanted and didn’t ‘faff around’ with PNC checks. 

Turned out matey had been arrested the previous day and the ‘faff’ of a PNC check before the event would have shown that before getting to custody. 

Radman
28 minutes ago, Reasonable Man said:

Had a colleague disciplined and the ‘perp’ paid compensation for unlawful arrest because he ‘knew’ the perp was wanted and didn’t ‘faff around’ with PNC checks. 

Turned out matey had been arrested the previous day and the ‘faff’ of a PNC check before the event would have shown that before getting to custody. 

To be fair you'd always PNC surely to check the marker before locking up... Even where I've known someone was wanted I've always confirmed it on PNC immediately before arresting them. 

• Like 1
BlueBob
3 hours ago, Radman said:

To be fair you'd always PNC surely to check the marker before locking up... Even where I've known someone was wanted I've always confirmed it on PNC immediately before arresting them. 

The subtle difference is the case referred to was when the officer was off-duty so no access to PNC. Unless of course, they decide to phone in, manage to persuade someone to do a check and give details to the off-duty person and then leave then to take action in their own right!  

Fry
On 19/02/2021 at 22:02, BizzieBee said:

Hmm. That’s not what I was led to believe. I believe ‘Roy’ said you could, too....

Handcuffs, anyone can carry. Baton, obviously when authorised. 

it’s always mentioned at PST each year ... ? 

Putting the "are handcuffs an offensive weapon" question to one side, I'm pretty confident that carrying your PPE off duty is limited to a small number of clear prescribed circumstances, as promulgated by Roy.