• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChristopherM

• Wilts20

• BlueBob

• jimmyriddle

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-us-2020-55558355 The stark difference in police response to last summer's protests of racial injustice compared to the mob attempting a coup at the US Cap

This is the nation's capital, they are no stranger to protests on a weekly basis... They weren't overwhelmed, they just chose to do nothing and then we have footage of cops welcoming in the rioters an

There are some difficult questions to ask about security in the Capitol and the predictability and USCP's preparedness for a level of disorder on the day given the nearby rally. I don't think it's fai

Posted Images

Wilts20

Very surprised that they got anywhere near, I think USCP were just overwhelmed. 

ChristopherM
Posted (edited)

Armed force should have been deployed to stop the insurrection. I mean the Secret Service wouldn't just let rioters into the White House without a lot of killing. Steven Sund the USCP Chief should resign.

Edited by ChristopherM
BlueBob
15 minutes ago, ChristopherM said:

Armed force should have been deployed to stop the insurrection. I mean the Secret Service wouldn't just let rioters into the White House without a lot of killing. Steven Sund the USCP Chief should resign.

Blimey!!!!    And thats in a country where freedom of speech is within their constitution (as I understand it).  I wonder what views you might have for less restrained governments?

ChristopherM
15 minutes ago, BlueBob said:

Blimey!!!!    And thats in a country where freedom of speech is within their constitution (as I understand it).  I wonder what views you might have for less restrained governments?

The US gov used armed force against the riots earlier this year, why didn't they use it now?

Wilts20

Force was used, including lethal. But it is clear that the USCP were not prepared (why not we may now ask?) and the National Guard weren't deployed until after the fact. Other state and local forces were also sent. I reckon the USCP were ready for just about anything (they've had shootings, bombs and madmen), but not this. It's just almost unbelievable...

Doubtless if it happens again the rioters will get dealt with robustly.

I also don't think you can compare the summer's riots, which were nationwide, much more publicised etc, with what was originally probably just another DC protest to start with. That said, shocking failure I'm afraid for DC Law Enforcement, failing to stop that. 

Spare a thought for the USCP officer too who was running alone, up a staircase being chased by a mob...

Good article here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/capitol-police-werent-prepared-for-rioters-authorities-say-11609978798 

This photo sums up the year:

1609965990225.png

Edited by Wilts20
jimmyriddle
13 hours ago, Wilts20 said:

Very surprised that they got anywhere near, I think USCP were just overwhelmed. 

This is the nation's capital, they are no stranger to protests on a weekly basis... They weren't overwhelmed, they just chose to do nothing and then we have footage of cops welcoming in the rioters and taking selfies with them

• Like 1
ChristopherM

A BLM protester would probably meet more resistance, and rightly so because their whole remit is smashing statues and attacking police. It's Joe Biden that made the comparison!!

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tic-terrorists

As the events unfolded on Wednesday, Biden said he received a text from his granddaughter, Finnegan, with a photo of the police presence outside the Lincoln Memorial last summer when Black Lives Matter activists demonstrated against the police killing of George Floyd.

Pointing to the strikingly different response from law enforcement to Wednesday’s largely white mob, she wrote: “Pop, this isn’t fair.” Biden agreed.

“No one can tell me that if it had been a group of Black Lives Matter protesters yesterday, they would have been treated very, very differently than the mob of thugs that stormed the Capitol,” Biden said, his voice swelling with indignation. “We all know that’s true. And it’s unacceptable. Totally unacceptable.”

Sceptre

There are some difficult questions to ask about security in the Capitol and the predictability and USCP's preparedness for a level of disorder on the day given the nearby rally. I don't think it's fair to compare a reaction to spontaneous events to preplanned and well-resourced deployments later in the BLM protests. Compare it instead to the way Seattle PD was overwhelmed and one of its stations attacked when CHAZ was first established.

As for taking selfies, when it's just you and a few colleagues in a building being overrun by armed protestors then I'm not surprised they did their best to keep whatever goodwill they could for their own safety. It makes a change for American police to get complaints from the left wing about using too little force...

• Like 1
Wilts20
13 hours ago, jimmyriddle said:

This is the nation's capital, they are no stranger to protests on a weekly basis... They weren't overwhelmed, they just chose to do nothing and then we have footage of cops welcoming in the rioters and taking selfies with them

Why did they then? 

Wilts20
1 hour ago, Sceptre said:

There are some difficult questions to ask about security in the Capitol and the predictability and USCP's preparedness for a level of disorder on the day given the nearby rally. I don't think it's fair to compare a reaction to spontaneous events to preplanned and well-resourced deployments later in the BLM protests. Compare it instead to the way Seattle PD was overwhelmed and one of its stations attacked when CHAZ was first established.

As for taking selfies, when it's just you and a few colleagues in a building being overrun by armed protestors then I'm not surprised they did their best to keep whatever goodwill they could for their own safety. It makes a change for American police to get complaints from the left wing about using too little force...

A very good point(s). They can’t win! (The police).

Castle

Truly horrendous to see the escalation that these 'protests' have taken. Thinking of the fallen officer.

• Like 1
Wilts20
17 hours ago, Castle said:

Truly horrendous to see the escalation that these 'protests' have taken. Thinking of the fallen officer.

RIP

BRIAN DAVID SICKNICK

Officer Brian Sicknick succumbed to injuries sustained the previous day while physically engaging with protestors on the grounds of the United States Capitol.

Some of the protestors began to riot and forcefully breached the entrances of the Capitol Building while Congress was in session certifying the Electoral College votes following the 2020 presidential election.

Officer Sicknick returned to his division office after being injured and collapsed a short time later. He was transported to a local hospital where he passed away the following day.

Officer Sicknick was a U.S. Air Force veteran. He had served with the United States Capitol Police for 12 years and was assigned to the First Responder's Unit.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/25046-officer-brian-david-sicknick

• Age 42
  • Tour 12 years
  • Badge Not available
  • Military Veteran

image.jpeg.4c55d297531b0a8847999384310b8faf.jpeg