Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Police officers going through court security


Recommended Posts

ChristopherM

I was at a crown court the other day. When going through security, the group in front (wearing suits) badged out but they still had to be searched. I though officers don't need to, or is it only while in uniform?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Radman
3 hours ago, ChristopherM said:

I was at a crown court the other day. When going through security, the group in front (wearing suits) badged out but they still had to be searched. I though officers don't need to, or is it only while in uniform?

Depends, I've been to my local mags and Crown a fair few times now so know alot of the regular guards, I'm usually in uniform and won't get searched but I recall one guard asking me to take my duty belt off to go through the metal detector until his colleague just waved me through and gave his mate a funny look. 

I guess the taser, baton, spray and cuffs were fine to take through but he wanted to make sure I didn't have anything else on me 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
stewie_griffin

In court you bypass security by displaying your badge. Also, the lawyers have some kind of ID that they show so they don't have to go through the airport-style security either.

Even if the court sheriff's told me to, I don't think I would be allowed to take my gun off and send it through the x-ray machine! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Radman
5 minutes ago, stewie_griffin said:

In court you bypass security by displaying your badge. Also, the lawyers have some kind of ID that they show so they don't have to go through the airport-style security either.

Even if the court sheriff's told me to, I don't think I would be allowed to take my gun off and send it through the x-ray machine! 

Yeah I wouldn't be taking my belt kit off either, especially for some contract Serco guard 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are forbidden to take taser into court, even the building. They get super unhappy if you forget. 

Otherwise, with ID it's bypass. 

I would imagine it would be very easy to get all manner of weapons through but it's probably best to weed out the foolish criminals with a nice basic search 

Edited by SimonT
Link to post
Share on other sites
skydiver

No searches for uniform colleagues in our local Mags and Crown court but plain clothes officers are searched.

Slightly off topic but I had a firearms job in crown court at the start of the year and CPS wanted the rifle to be available for the judge to view for sentencing.  I didn't think that would work but I called the court and spoke to security and was given a very short, curt 'no'  when I asked if I could take a made safe rifle to court!  CPS had to make do with pictures and a report from an AFO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Radman
4 hours ago, SimonT said:

We are forbidden to take taser into court, even the building. They get super unhappy if you forget. 

Otherwise, with ID it's bypass. 

I would imagine it would be very easy to get all manner of weapons through but it's probably best to weed out the foolish criminals with a nice basic search 

Never had an issue with taking Taser to court. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see a consistent approach across the UK. 

Security won't even consider letting you in and if you contest it, you have to tell the magistrate. Who will tell you off. 

To make things more irritating, even if you are a witness, you are required to patrol the court to maintain order. No sitting calmly and preparing your mind to give evidence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SimonT said:

Nice to see a consistent approach across the UK. 

Security won't even consider letting you in and if you contest it, you have to tell the magistrate. Who will tell you off. 

To make things more irritating, even if you are a witness, you are required to patrol the court to maintain order. No sitting calmly and preparing your mind to give evidence. 

And yet you are required to patrol without all the PPE that you have access to...

Link to post
Share on other sites
skydiver
21 hours ago, SimonT said:

 

To make things more irritating, even if you are a witness, you are required to patrol the court to maintain order. No sitting calmly and preparing your mind to give evidence. 

At our local crown court police have a side room to use and therefore to keep out of the way but at Mags we have to sit in the main room with all the suspects and their families, and as you say, we are expected to step in (we're police after all) or take crime reports.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Radman
3 hours ago, skydiver said:

At our local crown court police have a side room to use and therefore to keep out of the way but at Mags we have to sit in the main room with all the suspects and their families, and as you say, we are expected to step in (we're police after all) or take crime reports.

Both Crown and Mags have a police room, magistrates has a habit of not putting you in it though, depends entirely on the usher 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI (Mets policy) from 2014, i dont know if its changed.

 

Court attendance-What do I wear?

Uniformed staff attending court to give evidence must do so in uniform (including tie / cravat).This does not apply to those called to give evidence whilst absent from work, whilst sick, on maternity leave, or on a career break. Neither does it apply to uniformed police officers permanently employed in plain clothes.

As agreed with the former Ministry of Justice (Lord Chancellor’s Department), police officers attending court in uniform will carry all their officer safety equipment whilst giving evidence and patrolling court buildings (magistrates and crown). Officers are reminded they should maintain a visible presence whilst waiting to give evidence. Police officers must wear tunics at coroner's court unless the court directs otherwise

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now