Los Angeles Co. Sheriff Deputies shot in 'ambush' (BBC)

Wilts20

Two Los Angeles police officers are in a critical condition after being shot in what police are calling an ambush.

Video of the incident shows a figure approach the officers' vehicle, before opening fire and running away.

Los Angeles Sheriff Alex Villanueva called the act "cowardly". The suspect remains at large.

Almost 40 US police officers were killed in the line of duty in 2020, FBI statistics show eight of them the victims of an ambush.

Protesters shouted anti-police slogans and blocked the entrance to the emergency room where the two officers are being treated, police and witnesses said.

The officers involved have not been named, but have been described as a 31-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man.

"One male deputy and one female deputy were ambushed as they sat in their patrol vehicle. Both sustained multiple gunshot wounds and are in critical condition. They are both currently undergoing surgery. The suspect is still at large," LA County Sheriffs tweeted.

"This is just a sombre reminder that this is a dangerous job. Actions, words have consequences and our job does not get easier because people don't like law enforcement," Sheriff Villanueva said.

Sharing the footage of the incident, US President Donald Trump, tweeted: "Animals that must be hit hard."

He has made law and order a central part of his bid for re-election.

Responding to the attack, Democratic Californian congressman Adam Schiff said he was praying for the two officers.

"Every day, law enforcement officers put themselves at risk to protect our community," he tweeted. "I hope the perpetrator of this cowardly attack can be quickly brought to justice."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54137838

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54137838

My emphasis.

Good to see those lovely protesters stopping medical care to severely wounded people.

Apologies for BBC getting terminology wrong!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilts20

• Zulu 22

• SimonT

• skydiver

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of those two officers has sadly now died.  The shooting barely made the news in the UK so most of the info I have seen about it came from Facebook and Twitter.  Some of the comments on Twitter wer

Simon I agree with a lot of what you said but its still sad that the murder and attempted murder of two officers merits such little coverage.

Zulu 22

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8730787/PIERS-MORGAN-Sheriff-shooting-just-horrific-George-Floyds-death.html

And not a word of protest in support of White Lives matter and, we all know that All Lives matter.  I am not a supporter of Piers Morgan but he certainly got this right.

Where is the outrage, and why the lack of comment from members of the Forum. 

Is it to be come a fact in the USA that Police Officers are fair game.  The article reports that both officers have, so far, survived. Their identities are not being released in case of reprisals to their families and other officers. 

Perhaps Louis Hamilton will have a new T shirt at the next Grand Prix in support of Police Officers, however I won't hold my breath.     😡 

Wilts20
2 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8730787/PIERS-MORGAN-Sheriff-shooting-just-horrific-George-Floyds-death.html

And not a word of protest in support of White Lives matter and, we all know that All Lives matter.  I am not a supporter of Piers Morgan but he certainly got this right.

Where is the outrage, and why the lack of comment from members of the Forum. 

Is it to be come a fact in the USA that Police Officers are fair game.  The article reports that both officers have, so far, survived. Their identities are not being released in case of reprisals to their families and other officers. 

Perhaps Louis Hamilton will have a new T shirt at the next Grand Prix in support of Police Officers, however I won't hold my breath.     😡 

Lots of people just don’t care old boy, especially in larger US cities. In smaller, more community focused, they close roads for LEO funerals, wave flags, etc but I agree some people just don’t give a flying fire truck. Sad stare of affairs.

Zulu 22

Don't care; it would be different if it was  Black criminal with many convictions. Since when have Police Officer's even been fair game. The damage that can be done by one bad apple is irrefutable but, it is about time the American public and the British public gave the Police the respect that they are due.

Edited by Zulu 22
skydiver

One of those two officers has sadly now died.  The shooting barely made the news in the UK so most of the info I have seen about it came from Facebook and Twitter.  Some of the comments on Twitter were beyond belief but sadly quite standard when it comes to police being injured or killed at work.  

• Thanks 1
Zulu 22

Sadly the Media is remaining remarkably silent on this cowardly and despicable incident.  All still about BLM so why are they trying to ignore this news.

This is not a very surprising outcome of the current US racism problem. 

There are many who feel that the police are not the good guys. They are literally a threat to their lives, particularly because of their ethnicity. Not without good reason. 

The police have been found out and caught out many times to be racist, to shoot people dead for the smallest issue. I can't imagine being pulled over and worrying if I was going to be treated fairly because of my skin colour or if I would literally be killed because of it. 

A reporter was arrested outside the hospital. The police reported they didn't have id, didn't say they were a reporter. This was an official police statement. 

Footage since released shows the reporter, with a id clearly visible and stating they are press, being body slammed into the pevement because they were trying to film. 

If you treat the population, even a particular part of it like this, they will seek redress, some legally some through extreme means. 

You can certainly say that the officers weren't doing anything and were gunned down. Absolutely, but so were many of the public by the police. 

I dont think we will achieve anything by comparing who has committed the greatest wrong or who is deserving of the most outrage. The system is broken and until it gets fixed it doesn't matter who gets the most retreets, blm, blm, wlm, alm. 

skydiver

Simon I agree with a lot of what you said but its still sad that the murder and attempted murder of two officers merits such little coverage.

• Like 1
Zulu 22
35 minutes ago, SimonT said:

This is not a very surprising outcome of the current US racism problem. 

There are many who feel that the police are not the good guys. They are literally a threat to their lives, particularly because of their ethnicity. Not without good reason. 

The police have been found out and caught out many times to be racist, to shoot people dead for the smallest issue. I can't imagine being pulled over and worrying if I was going to be treated fairly because of my skin colour or if I would literally be killed because of it. 

Sadly the American public carry firearms, as a matter of course. If a person has a weapon, be they black or white, they are liable to be shot.  If they are shot then they can well end up dead, that is the point of a firearm. You do not wait to se if they are a good shot, or not, or you would be the dead victim. If someone should say that the Police could just shoot them in the leg, or arm, or even shoot the weapon out of their hand then they are deluded.  A person shot in the leg is still a deadly threat and, it would take a really expert marksman who could hit a person in a particular sport to disable him/her.  As for shooting a weapon out of someone's hand then someone has been watching too many movies.

Them shoot of the two Police Officers, sadly, shows the complete lack of regard for life that some criminals have.  Sorry but if you live by the sword then you have to accept that you might die by the sword as well.

I don't really see what that has to do with what I said, but I'm not suggesting that the police do not face a significant threat out there, far greater than here. 

But the chances of dying at the end of a police gun seems to be very significant if you are black and significantly less so as a white person. That's not OK. 

While you could argue that maybe ethnic minorities carry weapons or use them more readily, which I don't think you really can. The makeup of much of the US education, law, social, voting etc is very heavily weighted against ethnic minorities, driving people down the criminal route, a route which is again vastly focused on oppressing people. 

You get what you pay for. Currently the US is weighed towards oppression and its paying for it. 

3 hours ago, SimonT said:

Absolutely, but so were many of the public by the police. 

Agree with some of what you've said, but most of the abused public, were/are in fact criminals, an important distinction. 

19 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Don't care; it would be different if it was  Black criminal with many convictions. Since when have Police Officer's even been fair game. The damage that can be done by one bad apple is irrefutable but, it is about time the American public and the British public gave the Police the respect that they are due.

Think the police have always been fair game, anyone who wears uniform and confronts criminality, I reckon always has been -  for some. It's a shame, but we need to accept it, so we can aggressively challenge and stop it.

Also shows that over there, you've just got to be so switched on all the time, don't take your mind away from your situation for a moment.

Edited by Wilts20
Zulu 22
16 minutes ago, Wilts20 said:

Think the police have always been fair game, anyone who wears uniform and confronts criminality, I reckon always has been -  for some. It's a shame, but we need to accept it, so we can aggressively challenge and stop it.

Also shows that over there, you've just got to be so switched on all the time, don't take your mind away from your situation for a moment.

Pardon, the Police have never been fair game. Where on earth are you coming from. We do not have to accept it as a norm. All those who serve or have served accept that there is always a risk but, never being "Fair Game".😡

2 hours ago, Wilts20 said:

Agree with some of what you've said, but most of the abused public, were/are in fact criminals, an important distinction. 

When you say, most of the people gunned down by the police were criminals. A key point is Most.

That's not good enough. Police only sometimes shooting dead innocent people. 

Its also not OK to go gunning down criminals. If the threat is there, fine, if not, then that's a crime. 

We are supposed to treat people impartially, despite what the tabloids want. There is a heavy weight of evidence to demonstrate serious prejudice. 

4 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Pardon, the Police have never been fair game. Where on earth are you coming from. We do not have to accept it as a norm. All those who serve or have served accept that there is always a risk but, never being "Fair Game".😡

No, sadly, I disagree, look at the history of police officers, home and away and they've always been attacked and even killed, thankfully fairly rarely in this nation. At night, cutlasses and revolvers were sometimes issued. Look at the officer assaults, they are going up. We must accept the problem, to deal with it. 

They are not fair game in our eyes (decent law-abiding folk!) but in the eyes of the great unwashed, they are and this has devastating results.

Do not misunderstand me, I think it is terrible, but it is happening -  so how do we stop it?

Back to topic - USA this year line of duty deaths: https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2020 

(COVID19 - 104 deaths, GUNFIRE - 34)

Edited by Wilts20