Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Fedster

Police officer is charged with murder over death of ex-footballer Dalian Atkinson who died after being Tasered outside his father's house aged 48

IrrationalPi

Are there any further details in the public domain about this case? It seems like there is a piece missing from that article!

Whitehall Hack

Looking at the details of the case, it appears this is a wrong decision by the CPS.  

Think people in gov already looking at it..

Member Achievements

Jimbo26

On the face of it, and from the detail I've seen it does seem a bizarre decison.

Off topic, I dislike this new colour scheme, very difficult to navigate the site and read.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
7 minutes ago, Jimbo26 said:

On the face of it, and from the detail I've seen it does seem a bizarre decison.

Off topic, I dislike this new colour scheme, very difficult to navigate the site and read.

I totally agree it is a bizarre decision, in the extreme.  I also agree about the colour scheme it does make it very difficult to navigate the site and to read.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Fedster

Can we keep to the topic, if anyone has any concerns about the new theme please create a thread in the forum and info section.

Member Achievements

IrateShrike

My understanding from relatively recent changes in law is that Magistrates cannot grant bail to anyone appearing before them charged with murder, so the defendant will certainly be remanded into custody at least for a short time.

Member Achievements

Jimbo26

I wonder if CPS have bottled it. Scared to make an NFA decison so want the courts or jury to make the decison for them?

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

This investigation has now taken over three years. After such a length of time how can any officer expect to receive a fail and balanced trial.  Could it be that the CPS are taking into account Atkinson's ethnicity which has skewed their decision makers to pacify the likes of Doreen Lawrence who is so openly critical of anything where race is involved.  Using a Taser will always carry come form of risk but,  can an officer be expected to know of a persons medical conditions before use. Strange that a similar case in Levenshulme, Manchester  carried no ramifications. Perhaps it was the fact that it was a White youth with mental health problems.

Edited by David
Odd formatting removed
  • Confused 1

Member Achievements

IrrationalPi

As others have noted, on the face of it (appreciate we don't have all the facts), it seems bizzare in the extreme.

PC Wannabe

Murder?! Many perpetrators of stabbings only get manslaughter, due to the requirement to prove intent to kill for a murder conviction. This seems insane - surely it must be some sort of cock up? 

• Confused 1

Member Achievements

Sceptre
7 minutes ago, PC Wannabe said:

Murder?! Many perpetrators of stabbings only get manslaughter, due to the requirement to prove intent to kill for a murder conviction. 

No, murder requires proof of an intention to kill or cause grievous bodily harm; attempted murder requires proof of intent to kill. The CPS have also put forward a verdict of unlawful act manslaughter for the male PC presumably for when they run into problems proving the intent to harm.

Both officers have been bailed unconditionally, what a bolt out of the blue this must be for them. It will be interesting to follow the trial as more information comes out, hopefully justice is done swiftly.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Ether

Unless there are more details that are damning, sounds like utter nonsense and I doubt anyone could twist the use of a less than lethal device into a real attempt to kill a person. 

Member Achievements

skydiver
7 hours ago, IrrationalPi said:

Are there any further details in the public domain about this case? It seems like there is a piece missing from that article!

Yes I'd say 'intent' is missing.

Member Achievements

POM0272

Whilst we don’t have full facts making this difficult to give a fully informed opinion, one has to wonder how these charges have been decided on. ABH for Officer B stands out to me. I’m no ERO expert, but how can they get charged with the lesser offence when officer A is charged with murder./manslaughter.  Seems wrong surely it’s joint enterprise!? Maybe someone more enlightened can explain from personal experience!

I can’t help thinking it’s an appeasement decision, similar to the PC Claire Boddie, which could have grave consequences. It makes me wonder about carrying my Taser and whether it’s worth the hassle or putting my family through such a - albeit an unlikely - scenario. It’s simply not practicable to ask everyone “do you have a medical condition” when you’ve made the decision to draw, fire, red dot etc...

I saw a comment on Twitter on the West Mercia Fed feed, saying support your officers and call for Taser Officers to hand their tickets in.

I can see this getting thrown out of crown court before a jury even gets sworn in. Unless there is some strong evidence in relation to the actions of the officers we’re not privy to.

It’s a bit frightening this could happen to any of us TBH. What happen to common law, s3 of the criminal law act, s117 PACE, s76 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act?

No one wins here. Not the officers or the Atkinson family. Everyone loses.