Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beaker

Just seeking some clarification.  I know my force doesn't take in and record lost property these days, but does anyone know if any force does?

Having a disagreement at my day job where they say every force does, and will issue a crime number for lost phones.  As far as I'm aware all forces will record the loss as part of a crime, but if you just do A Stupid and drop it somewhere they won't.

Sceptre

Here is a link to the NPCC discussion in 2017 where the consensus was to stop recording lost property, with a list of participating forces. Clearly no force is going to issue a crime number for a phone which has been lost and not stolen because there is no crime disclosed. 

A number of forces might support Immobilise, reportmyloss.com or similar but that would vary depending on where you are. Phones reported as lost to the network provider would show up as such on the NMPR or PNC anyway. 

Radman
2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Just seeking some clarification.  I know my force doesn't take in and record lost property these days, but does anyone know if any force does?

Having a disagreement at my day job where they say every force does, and will issue a crime number for lost phones.  As far as I'm aware all forces will record the loss as part of a crime, but if you just do A Stupid and drop it somewhere they won't.

BTP apparently used to do this for lost phones treating them as stolen YEARS ago. 

Obviously not the greatest of ideas - we're lucky in that the railway network has its own processes in place for lost property and we will defer people onto them (I'll ask the owner conduct checks with LPOs prior to making a complaint of theft to us, this surprisingly weeds out alot of theft jobs.) 

My local force did still record found property and did accept members of public handing items into them, what's happened since the guidance change I don't know, we managed to reunite passengers who had left bags/wallets in back of taxis that had been handed in to the local enquiry desk. 

Beaker
Author of the topic Posted

Thanks folks, that's what I thought.  I'll forward the link on to my managers.  There has been an ongoing discussion higher than me, so they asked me as the "resident expert", and because they didn't like my reply they reissued the "Report to the police" advice to clients.  Even though I knew they were wrong.

IrateShrike

Not only is recording of all lost property an administrative burden on police, but these days there are far more effective options available for losers such as using social media etc.

Richhamdo
5 hours ago, Beaker said:

@Beaker, By an extraordinary   coincidence i heard a story just the other day from someone who shall be nameless who had dropped their wallet in town, [getting in or out of their car most probably]All that was in it fortunately was about forty or so pounds  and a few coins, plus their membership card to a certain breakdown service.

To cut a long story short they later got a phone call out of the blue at home from this said emergency service asking if they had lost their card and saying that if they had lost it then it was at the police station and gave an police incident number. I have no idea how it came to be at the station but clearly someone there was on the ball/case to find out who the card, wallet etc belonged to, via the number/ name on the card presumably. 

i suppose that had no one claimed it, it might well have ended up in one of those big packing cases in a huge warehouse like that Ark did in the Indiana Jones film, 😀. Rich. 

Zulu 22
1 hour ago, IrateShrike said:

Not only is recording of all lost property an administrative burden on police, but these days there are far more effective options available for losers such as using social media etc.

Using Social media rules out a huge section of society.  The recording of lost property has been a way of manipulating crime figures for years. You want crime to increase then you issue the edict that all property which may identifiable when lost must be recorded as a crime. Result Crime figures soar.  Want to reduce the crime figures then the instruction is that no property is reported as theft unless there is explicit evidence to show an item was stolen.

If someone hands in lost property at a Police Station you are duty bound to accept it.  If the owner is not traced or the property claimed the finder has a claim to it.  If this does not happen then under the Police Property Act it can be disposed of at Auction. You would try and persuade the finder to retain the property but they are under no obligation to do so. They bring it to the office, report it, and walk out leaving it in your possession. You then have a duty to preserve and trotect it.

IrateShrike
6 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Using Social media rules out a huge section of society.  The recording of lost property has been a way of manipulating crime figures for years. You want crime to increase then you issue the edict that all property which may identifiable when lost must be recorded as a crime. Result Crime figures soar.  Want to reduce the crime figures then the instruction is that no property is reported as theft unless there is explicit evidence to show an item was stolen.

If someone hands in lost property at a Police Station you are duty bound to accept it.  If the owner is not traced or the property claimed the finder has a claim to it.  If this does not happen then under the Police Property Act it can be disposed of at Auction. You would try and persuade the finder to retain the property but they are under no obligation to do so. They bring it to the office, report it, and walk out leaving it in your possession. You then have a duty to preserve and trotect it.

If someone hands property in at the police station then I would consider that found property (ie a found property report).  I was referring to people reporting to the police that they have lost something (ie, a lost property report).

Edited by IrateShrike

Zulu 22
17 minutes ago, IrateShrike said:

If someone hands property in at the police station then I would consider that found property (ie a found property report).  I was referring to people reporting to the police that they have lost something (ie, a lost property report).

That would take the enquiry clerk about 2 minutes to check if that property had been handed in or reported.

IrateShrike
33 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

That would take the enquiry clerk about 2 minutes to check if that property had been handed in or reported.

But the discussion isn't about checking, it's about actually recording it in the first place.

Zulu 22
3 hours ago, IrateShrike said:

But the discussion isn't about checking, it's about actually recording it in the first place.

Which should be no problem recording a lost report or/and  found report. I recently had to make a report of list property in Cheshire and was given a report number, no problem.

Sceptre
2 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Which should be no problem recording a lost report or/and  found report. I recently had to make a report of list property in Cheshire and was given a report number, no problem.

Individually it's not a big deal, but collectively it's a great deal of time spent and expense incurred training people, maintaining a database and paying to store that data for a purpose the police have no duty to carry out, which doesn't produce much benefit for anyone. When we can't manage to get to burglary dwellings in person and in a timely manner then recording iPhones left in taxis by drunks isn't a justifiable use of resources. 

Reasonable Man

The Force covering the area where I live do not take reports of lost property. Anyone reporting lost property is referred to ‘Report My Loss’. 

For found property people are encouraged to hand it in at the location they found it - shopping centre, pub, event etc - or keep it themselves having recorded the find. The only things they will take in are large amounts of cash, anything it would be illegal to keep and anything containing ID or with internal memory so the owner could be identified. 

Techie1
On 04/11/2019 at 15:07, Richhamdo said:

@Beaker, By an extraordinary   coincidence i heard a story just the other day from someone who shall be nameless who had dropped their wallet in town, [getting in or out of their car most probably]All that was in it fortunately was about forty or so pounds  and a few coins, plus their membership card to a certain breakdown service.

To cut a long story short they later got a phone call out of the blue at home from this said emergency service asking if they had lost their card and saying that if they had lost it then it was at the police station and gave an police incident number. I have no idea how it came to be at the station but clearly someone there was on the ball/case to find out who the card, wallet etc belonged to, via the number/ name on the card presumably. 

i suppose that had no one claimed it, it might well have ended up in one of those big packing cases in a huge warehouse like that Ark did in the Indiana Jones film, 😀. Rich. 

Another random one was a wallet that had little info in it, but there was a bank card. 

The person that found it sent five payments of 1p to the card’s sort code and account number and used the payment reference to write a message including their contact details! 

cheese_puff
On 04/11/2019 at 15:14, Zulu 22 said:

Zulu I suspect your knowledge is a little out of date. The Met Police for example, don’t take in any property unless it’s valuable (over £500) or identifiable. By that same measure, they don’t take reports of those items that aren’t identifiable or under £500 in value.