Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Gravity

New Recruit Overtime

Gravity

Hi,

I've just received confirmation of my appointment and have a start date with Northumbria Police in early November, which obviously I'm buzzing about. The only downside is that starting on £24k I'll have taken a significant pay cut. So I'm wondering what the scope is for new recruits to take on overtime to offset the loss of earnings? Is it even possible, or will I have to get a certain number months under my belt before I can take on the overtime? Whilst I'm at it, am I right in thinking 9.5% is deducted for my pension? Any other deductions I'll need to know about?

Just trying to get an idea as to how much I'll need to tighten the belt, thanks!

skydiver

Deductions may also include Fed fees and any insurances such as life or health policies they sell you.  On the plus side  you can get a small tax rebate for uniform cleaning, boot allowance and professional subscriptions such as Fed fees.  IIRC this is worth around £250 per year.  You can also earn unsocial hours payments which I guess will be around £50-£60pm depending on your role.  An in company student will do a lot of OT during your first 2 months as you will take a lot longer to do you job and you will get every rubbish job going. I don't know what your force policy will be for bank holidays but if you are allowed to work them they will be worth around £200.

Member Achievements

Jeebs

As far as I recall, OT in E&W is no longer pensionable. Whereas in N. Ireland and possibly Scotland it is.

I would suggest that depending on how NorPol run things, you will need to complete your first 10 weeks and be signed off by your tutor before you can undertake overtime.

Member Achievements

BlueBob

Assume there is NO overtime, then if it happens it will be a bonus.  Otherwise if you need it and it doesn’t happen then you know you’ll be heard towards bankruptcy.   

• Like 2

Member Achievements

bensonby

Your pension contributions will be 12.44%, increasing to 13.44% when you hit £27k basic-pay. 

Member Achievements

BlueBob
1 hour ago, bensonby said:

Your pension contributions will be 12.44%, increasing to 13.44% when you hit £27k basic-pay. 

And to help the OP calcs a bit more, try looking at an online tax calculator...personal allowance is the 1st £12500, then take off tax 20%, Nat ins of 12% over £160 a week, pension as above and then you start earning.

Member Achievements

DodgeRam

To start with you will only get overtime when your normal tour of duty over runs. You will not be able to sign up for extra overtime shifts until you are signed off as independent. 

Pension, NI and tax are the big deductions. Add in a bit of fed subs, student loan repayment, lottery syndicate and you'll lose maybe another £50-£100 a month tops. 

During training school you will not get any over time. At all. 

Expect your take home pay at training school to be between £1200-£1400 a month, depending on your exact circumstances. But it's a good ball park figure to work a budget around. 

After 7 years service with a little overtime and unsocial hours allowance you should expect roughly around £2500 a month take home. 

Member Achievements