Jump to content

Missing Persons team questions


StTerry
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi there. I'm a student creating a fictional radio serial about missing people. I have a couple of policing questions, as I'd like to make it at least partially realistic (sorry if this isn't the place)! :

1) if a person is reported missing for a few days and it's out of character, who would do the initial investigation? Uniformed PCs, detectives, someone else? I'm struggling to find a standard make-up of a missing person team!

2) how do Police communicate general, boring things? - "Hi, we need you to come back to the station as someone's here to speak to you" type things. Is it via radio, or mobile, or even Whatsapp these days? 

3) if someone is missing and the police manage to get hold of the last person they were seen with on the phone, would they go to meet them or would they ask the person to come to a station? What if the person sounded a bit edgy on the phone and had history of violence?

4) who has the authority to make a PC move to another team/area because they aren't performing well in their current role? I.e. what rank?

 

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StTerry said:

1) if a person is reported missing for a few days and it's out of character, who would do the initial investigation? Uniformed PCs, detectives, someone else? I'm struggling to find a standard make-up of a missing person team!

Almost always Uniformed PC up where I am. Depending on the exact details of how it came in and what was know CID may take an early interest but they'd want Uniform to make an initial attendance in my experience.

The reason you struggle is there isn't really a standard as such. There are so many factors about when you engage formal search teams and which bit of CID might be interested. Also varies area to area as you may then engage early with Search and Rescue (SAR) or Mountain Rescue (MR). Age of missing person will also play a big factor in this.

1 hour ago, StTerry said:

2) how do Police communicate general, boring things? - "Hi, we need you to come back to the station as someone's here to speak to you" type things. Is it via radio, or mobile, or even Whatsapp these days? 

Uniform - Usually Radio, can be Mobile.

CID - Usually mobile.

1 hour ago, StTerry said:

3) if someone is missing and the police manage to get hold of the last person they were seen with on the phone, would they go to meet them or would they ask the person to come to a station? What if the person sounded a bit edgy on the phone and had history of violence?

Depends on the situation as you surmise. If there was real suspicion and it was practical to do so I would expect someone would be sent to them. In your fiction feel free to do whichever works for your story as it will vary a lot on a lot of factors.

1 hour ago, StTerry said:

4) who has the authority to make a PC move to another team/area because they aren't performing well in their current role? I.e. what rank?

Varies by force and even team. Simple answer is the rank above, so in the case of a PC, it would be their Sgt. However in reality it'll be whomever "commands" that team, often Insp or C/Insp who would ultimately make that decision. However there is a significant process to go through to move someone against their will and especially if it's performance related, they'd need to be moved for good reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a missing person report ("MISPER"). A uniformed pc will initially attend to gather the details. It is then assessed by a Sgt or inspector. Depending on the risks / circumstances it is classed as Low, Medium or High risk. Any report involving a child will be at least medium.

For example:

- "my boyfriend went to the pub last night and he's not back yet" no vulnerabilities, LOW.

- Teenager who is not back home when he should be, MEDIUM

- Someone who walked out of the house leaving a suicide note. HIGH. 

The level of resources assigned will depend on the risk but for a Low or Medium there will normally be only 1 PC assigned. 

For a High mfh a sgt/inspector will normally coordinate (but sometimes it's just a PC). CID may assist then for enquiries or interviews. Normally for a high MFH we drop all non urgent work and all turn out. 

For a high, If searches are necessary they may call upon a POLSA (Police Search Advisor) to advise and LSOs (licenced Search Officers), dogs, air support etc as well as other organisations : SAR, air support, Fire, army, cave rescue, Rnli, coast guard etc.

The bulk of the enquiries even for high mfh are handled by uniform officers. 

As for your other questions we always go to people as if you ask them to go to a police station they never do it. 

"A history of violence"? most of t he people we meet have a history of violence! 

PS: I'm not aware of any forces who have a "missing persons team" but Someone might prove me wrong. It is generally the responsibility of the response teams. 

Edited by Sierra Lima
Clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin Team
6 hours ago, Sierra Lima said:

After a missing person report ("MISPER"). A uniformed pc will initially attend to gather the details. It is then assessed by a Sgt or inspector. Depending on the risks / circumstances it is classed as Low, Medium or High risk. Any report involving a child will be at least medium.

For example:

- "my boyfriend went to the pub last night and he's not back yet" no vulnerabilities, LOW.

- Teenager who is not back home when he should be, MEDIUM

- Someone who walked out of the house leaving a suicide note. HIGH. 

The level of resources assigned will depend on the risk but for a Low or Medium there will normally be only 1 PC assigned. 

For a High mfh a sgt/inspector will normally coordinate (but sometimes it's just a PC). CID may assist then for enquiries or interviews. Normally for a high MFH we drop all non urgent work and all turn out. 

For a high, If searches are necessary they may call upon a POLSA (Police Search Advisor) to advise and LSOs (licenced Search Officers), dogs, air support etc as well as other organisations : SAR, air support, Fire, army, cave rescue, Rnli, coast guard etc.

The bulk of the enquiries even for high mfh are handled by uniform officers. 

As for your other questions we always go to people as if you ask them to go to a police station they never do it. 

"A history of violence"? most of t he people we meet have a history of violence! 

PS: I'm not aware of any forces who have a "missing persons team" but Someone might prove me wrong. It is generally the responsibility of the response teams. 

After 24 hours our Misper's low/medium risk Mispers go to a different team as response don't have the manpower to keep making enquiries. Although this is not their only job. A large portion of misper's are kids who don't want to return to care which i'm sure is the case in most areas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sierra Lima said:

 

PS: I'm not aware of any forces who have a "missing persons team" but Someone might prove me wrong. It is generally the responsibility of the response teams. 

Leics has a misper team but its still response who do the initial and many of the follow up enquiries.  The MFH team try to manage regular mispers and try to change their behaviour.  They also work closely with the child sexual exploitation team  to highlight and manage kids who are at risk of CSE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...