Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
skydiver

DCC Rachel Swan's Hair

skydiver

Image result for rachel swann hair

I've seen a lot of comments on FB and other social media about DCC Swan's hair.  Comments were generally derogatory and very few were supportive. One point PCs kept making was that her hair doesn't fit with uniform standards for her force whilst others wondered how she wears her hat!  Personally I don't think it fits with a uniformed service however it doesn't stop her doing her job which apparently she does very well.

Member Achievements

Hyphen
15 hours ago, skydiver said:

Image result for rachel swann hair

I've seen a lot of comments on FB and other social media about DCC Swan's hair.  Comments were generally derogatory and very few were supportive. One point PCs kept making was that her hair doesn't fit with uniform standards for her force whilst others wondered how she wears her hat!  Personally I don't think it fits with a uniformed service however it doesn't stop her doing her job which apparently she does very well.

I wouldn’t go as far as being derogatory towards her, however, it is extremely unprofessional and embarrassing. The standards need to be adhered to even more for senior leaders due to their exposure in the public eye. 

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Jeebs
Posted (edited)

She looks like a stroppy PCSO or new probationer who thinks the standards of appearance don’t apply to her for three reasons:

1) The hair....oh god the hair 

2) Lack of a white shirt and tie - No need for her to be in blacks, she’s of ACPO rank and not an operational cop.

3) Headdress?! 

Edited by Jeebs
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Beaker
3 minutes ago, Jeebs said:

2) Lack of a white shirt and tie - No need for her to be in blacks, she’s of ACPO rank and not an operational cop.

3) Headdress?! 

Our current SMT wear patrol uniform unless they're doing ceremonial duties.  Though it isn't unusual for them to get in a marked car and work IR these days either.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Cuddles
7 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Our current SMT wear patrol uniform unless they're doing ceremonial duties.  Though it isn't unusual for them to get in a marked car and work IR these days either.

He’s not kidding. Our soon-to-be DCC has kept all his tickets and keeps turning up at bumps on the motorway!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Beaker
Just now, Cuddles said:

He’s not kidding. Our soon-to-be DCC has kept all his tickets and keeps turning up at bumps on the motorway!

The current DCC has been seen out and about around South, as does one of the other ACCs.  I'm told The Boss has been seen in West a few times. 

Member Achievements

Jeebs

If you’re going to appear on TV, at least look the part.

Im not a fan of the white shirt and tie for operational duties, but strongly believe in senior officers wearing it and front counter/public facing office staff as well.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Richhamdo
9 hours ago, Jeebs said:

If you’re going to appear on TV, at least look the part.

Im not a fan of the white shirt and tie for operational duties, but strongly believe in senior officers wearing it and front counter/public facing office staff as well.

@Jeebs, I’m inclined to agree with you, i am a bit old school on this and think a certain standard should be met when it comes to personal appearance, etc, what should that standard be, where is the line in the sand etc. That is a question worthy of further discussion should someone ask it in the future on this forum. 

I was looking at the photo of DCC Swan [who presumably had just been called out of her office to speak to the press] and  a poem by Robert Burns came into my head. It was the one about the  bonnet being worn by the lady in church and what her thoughts or reaction  would have been had she known about the louse crawling about on her state of the art finery.  Maybe this bonnet was a bit over the top for the occasion or the time , who knows.We had to learn this poem in school but regret that after well over sixty years or so  i can only recall the bit now where he wrote about being given “the gift to see ourselves as others see us”.

The point is  the precedent has been set, and by the DCC no less, but i guess  its just the times we live in. In the early eighties i was asked just before briefing by the sgt  [i was working a ten / three friday night shift] to take aside and speak to a new special who had just come in for public order duty about her bright red lipstick and ear rings.i was as diplomatic as i could be by the way. She had been told at the the induction course all about what was and wasn't acceptable so there was no excuse. It wasn't  just the ladies either, far from it,  one guy who was old enough to have known better, habitually came on duty wearing white socks which i seem to recall were fashionable at the time.  “The oldest swinger in town” i guess. ha. Rich.

Member Achievements

adamwales

This is the first I have seen of this.  Gut instinct is that her appearance is unprofessional, largely down to the hair style, which is bordering on extreme.

Personal opinion is that senior officers in scenarios such as this should be in whites, with headdress depending on circumstances.  I also feel that wearing operational uniform like this, should be paired with armour / belt / vest and kit, if going for the 'operational look'.  I think the issue black wicking shirts look tatty on their own.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

It all boils down to standards and obviously she has set hers very low.  Her Force deserves a better image.

Member Achievements

stewie_griffin

When I become DCC I'll do my hair how I want thank you very much. Otherwise, what's the point in being in charge?

• Haha 3

Member Achievements

Jeebs
5 hours ago, stewie_griffin said:

When I become DCC I'll do my hair how I want thank you very much. Otherwise, what's the point in being in charge?

If a DCC can look like an utter lizard, then so can the rest of the force.

You can hardly expect Inspectors and Sgts to enforce the uniform standing orders when your senior management don’t even follow them 😂

Member Achievements

Hoofing
7 minutes ago, Jeebs said:

If a DCC can look like an utter lizard, then so can the rest of the force.

You can hardly expect Inspectors and Sgts to enforce the uniform standing orders when your senior management don’t even follow them 😂

I’ve never heard of someone being called an “utter lizard” before. I’m going to use this from now on. 

Member Achievements

IrateShrike

I've found a lot of the heckling and abuse that she has received rather embarassing, especially as a lot of it has come from her colleagues.  I know it's a bitter pill to swallow for lots of rank and file officers who would be instantly reprimanded if they presented for duty outside of the standards of appearance but there is an opportunity there to rise above it.

I think the bigger problem here is that it presents yet another clear example of how 'equality and inclusion' is seemingly incompatible with standards and rules that are already in place for a good reason.  The police and society in general just needs to accept that you can't make everyone happy or fix every single person's individual problems under the guise of 'equality' because life isn't fair.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
2 hours ago, IrateShrike said:

I've found a lot of the heckling and abuse that she has received rather embarassing, especially as a lot of it has come from her colleagues.  I know it's a bitter pill to swallow for lots of rank and file officers who would be instantly reprimanded if they presented for duty outside of the standards of appearance but there is an opportunity there to rise above it.

I think the bigger problem here is that it presents yet another clear example of how 'equality and inclusion' is seemingly incompatible with standards and rules that are already in place for a good reason.  The police and society in general just needs to accept that you can't make everyone happy or fix every single person's individual problems under the guise of 'equality' because life isn't fair.

I understand that her hair style was in contravention of her own Forces set policy on standards of appearance. You cannot bite someone and not expect that you might not be bitten back.

Member Achievements