Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Truck driver 1

Express and star.Staffordshire PCC defends £1.4m office cost

SgtGolden

I find it very hard to believe his argument. 

David

Hampshire's Mr Lane has found himself in trouble for doing pretty much the same thing. No money for this that or the other, but plenty was found to seemingly suit his ego.

Doubt if you're reading this Mr Lane though if you are it might come as a bit of a surprise, but neither you, nor your PCC colleagues, are respected, and stories like this simply don't help.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

The same with David Keane iin Cheshire. Moved his whole empire from Police HQ free accommodation at Winsford to Warrington, 20 miles away.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

PCCs are the worst thing ever and a total waste of money and time. They were meant to help democratize local policing and make it more accountable by having an elected official. But all they have done is the exact opposite. They have hampered their local police chief, several have resigned through scandal, they are elected on the lowest voter turnout (13%) and cost way more than the Local Police Authorities they replaced, which also had a far wider representation from the communities they served. They are a con, a drain on police resources, and a stupid idea borrowed from the US. Sack the lot of them and return to the old, albeit imperfect Police Authority system.

• Like 4

Member Achievements

Mac7

I still have no idea what they do. Or their deputies. Or their over staffed offices where everyone is a manager but don’t mange anyone.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
I still have no idea what they do. Or their deputies. Or their over staffed offices where everyone is a manager but don’t mange anyone.

??? If you’ve no idea what they do then how do you conclude that their offices are over staffed?
  • Confused 1

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
5 minutes ago, Techie1 said:

Some light reading for you

https://lincolnshire-pcc.gov.uk/your-pcc/about-the-role-of-pcc/

This one can't be easy, with the current budgets...

"secure an efficient and effective police for their area"

Easy secure an efficient and effective police service - RESIGN

Member Achievements

Truck driver 1
17 hours ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

PCCs are the worst thing ever and a total waste of money and time. They were meant to help democratize local policing and make it more accountable by having an elected official. But all they have done is the exact opposite. They have hampered their local police chief, several have resigned through scandal, they are elected on the lowest voter turnout (13%) and cost way more than the Local Police Authorities they replaced, which also had a far wider representation from the communities they served. They are a con, a drain on police resources, and a stupid idea borrowed from the US. Sack the lot of them and return to the old, albeit imperfect Police Authority system.

I have said the police don't need PCCs they are a waste of money and they need to go back to the old way and leave it with in the police to run for them self ,and your comment is spot on  .

• Thanks 1

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
15 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

??? If you’ve no idea what they do then how do you conclude that their offices are over staffed?

I suspect that Mac7 is not alone. I know the high number of PCC staff, but have no idea what they do or even how they justify their existence. The lowest salary in his office is £25,000.

Prior to the PCC vote I spoke to my MP at the Rugby Club and he agreed with every point I made and agreed that it would politicise the Police and was a terrible idea taking away true democracy. Then he went into the lobby and voted for PCC's.  Had he disagreed with me and my points then I could have respected his vote but, he did not, he agreed with me.

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Truck driver 1
14 hours ago, Techie1 said:

Some light reading for you

https://lincolnshire-pcc.gov.uk/your-pcc/about-the-role-of-pcc/

This one can't be easy, with the current budgets...

"secure an efficient and effective police for their area"

saw this from the home office . 

Expenses

Updated 1 August 2018

Paragraph 3 of Schedule 1 to the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 (‘the 2011 Act’) provides that a police and crime commissioner (PCC) is to be paid authorised allowances. ‘Authorised allowances’ means allowances, in respect of expenses incurred by the commissioner in the exercise of the commissioner’s functions, which are of the kinds and amounts determined by the Secretary of State. A determination under paragraph 3 may make different provision for different cases.

1. Authorised allowances

The purpose of authorised allowances is to reimburse expenses incurred by PCCs in carrying out their duties, not to provide a general gratuity for undertaking the role. Commissioners are paid a salary determined by the Secretary of State on the advice of the senior salaries review board.

The kinds of allowances determined by the Secretary of State for the purposes of paragraph 3 of Schedule 1 to the 2011 Act are allowances in respect of:

• travel expenses
  • subsistence expenses
  • exceptional expenses

reasonably incurred by a PCC in the exercise of the commissioner’s functions.

The amounts of such allowances determined by the Secretary of State are set out in the below table:

1.1 Table of PCC authorised allowance amounts

Type of expense Key restriction Rates
Train In course of business Reimbursed up to standard class rates
Mileage allowances Only if necessary As per HMRC rates
Taxis Only where public transport not available Cost of taxi fare
Foreign travel Prior authority from chief executive and for business purposes Economy class for flights
Hotel accommodation Business purposes and agreed in advance. Value for money and best use of public funds - lower priced suitable accommodation No explicit limitation on star standard of hotel accommodation
Subsistence (UK and foreign) Only paid for evening meals and, where applicable, breakfast (not lunch) Breakfast £10, Dinner £30
Exceptional expenses not falling within any of the other types Reasonable incurred in carrying out business of the authority As approved by the chief executive

2. Chief executive approval

The commissioner’s chief executive should subject all of the commissioner’s claims for expenses to rigorous verification and auditing.

Any claims for exceptional expenses incurred by the commissioner in the exercise of the commissioner’s functions will require the approval of the commissioner’s chief executive. In considering whether to grant this approval the chief executive shall take into account the following factors:

• a. whether there are exceptional circumstances warranting additional support
  • b. whether the Commissioner could reasonably have been expected to take any action to avoid the circumstances which gave rise to the expenditure or liability
  • c. whether the Commissioner’s performance of their Commissioner functions will be significantly impaired by a refusal of the claim

3. Publishing allowances

Under paragraph 1(d) of the Schedule to the Elected Local Policing Bodies (Specified Information) Order 2011, PCCs are required to publish the allowances paid to them and to their deputies in respect of expenses incurred by the commissioner or deputy in the exercise of the commissioner’s functions.

PCCs and their deputies should publish a breakdown of their expenses including:

• their name, force area, financial year, month, date, claim reference numbers, expense type (e.g. travel, accommodation), short description, details, amount claimed, amount reimbursed, amount not reimbursed, and the reason why a claim was not reimbursed
  • for travel and subsistence claims: date, place of origin, place of destination, category of journey, class of travel, mileage, length of hotel stay, category of hotel stay     https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/expenses--2/expenses

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
I suspect that Mac7 is not alone. I know the high number of PCC staff, but have no idea what they do or even how they justify their existence. The lowest salary in his office is £25,000.

I’m sure s/he is not.
There’s an office block I pass by regularly. I don’t know what they do in there but from the sharp suits and BMWs and Mercedes in the carpark they get paid a lot. It wouldn’t be fair for me to say those people are not worth the money they get.

Member Achievements