Writer with questions: jurisdiction, ranks, etc. Thanks!

qairene

I've read several crime novels in which a London detective is dispatched to another part of the country to work on a homicide. Does this ever happen in real life, where a police force in one of the counties would request that the investigation be headed up by Met detectives? Say, in a case involving a high profile victim? I'm guessing that some of the smaller forces would have fewer resources and staff to attend to these kind of cases. Is that right?

Also, with regard to rank, how long does it take to move up and how old would a typical detective sergeant and detective chief inspector be?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CID mutual aid is not rare in my own experience. Some Forces will request mutual aid in all its forms in the early stages of major investigations but the host Force will retain overall command of the job. Bringing in an SIO from a foreign Force is more or less unheard of (but i am sure it will have happened at some point)

As for ages of a DS or DCI, these could be just about any age above 24 / 25.

In my old Division we had several DS's who were in ther late 40's and several who were still in their 20's

The youngest DCI i have met was 30 and the oldest was in their early 50's

Thanks so much. This is extremely helpful. I was going to ask a follow up, but you've answered it (regarding who would retain control/ultimate authority over the investigation).

Much appreciated!

• 3 months later...

I've read that detectives have a heavy caseload. Approximately how many cases would they take on each year? And what percentage of those would typically be homicides? Thanks for any help!