Another writer needing help - forensics question

HeatherH

Hi everyone,

I am a crime writer working in London and currently writing a detective novel. I would be really grateful if anyone can offer advice on what would happen in the following (rather random) situation:

A severed head is found in a box, with no sign of the rest of the body.

How do detectives interact with the forensics side of things in a situation like this? Can any one advise me on what the forensics/ pathology procedure would be? Like, I guess you cannot do an autopsy on a severed head? I've read that forensics is largely provided by private companies now?

Cheers!

Heather

Huh, a postmortem examination can be conducted on any body part. A box with a head in it would be considered a piece of trace evidence. Trace evidence is anything left at the scene by the criminal. It is possible to determine cause and manner of death from a head only (depending what the cause or manner of death is). The box itself may be unique or traceable. The original contents of the box may be determined. Fingerprint evidence may be secured. Hair and fiber evidence could may be present. Paper is absorbent, so the box may have absorbed something.There is a potential wealth of information in the evidence. The evidence secured could lead a detective to the criminal or it could be used to clear known or implicate known or future suspects.

Scientific analysis can be a treasure trove. But, it takes time. Labs are back logged. In the meantime the investigator continues with the investigation. He (or she) tried to make their own luck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A crime writer, yeah right. Just take the box to a police station and throw yourself on their mercy! :-)