D1 Driving entitlement.

Scot

I have got the theory, medical done for my provisional D1. But I stopped short of doing the test because I ran out of money/time! I've decided just to bite the bullet and get it done because it's quite handy to have.

Has anyone done the D1 test and advice what it's like?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scot

• HazRat

• SierraLimaSierra

• -AJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, em manoeuvres, vehicle checks? Similar to normal driving test?

I would say that if you can afford it do the full Cat D test as you will get D1 automatically. That said, most training buses are autos so you would end up with both D and D1 with auto only restriction which is so useful.

The only other suggestion is to do C1 at the sme time. It will cost a few pounds more, but it is equally as useful. You could then upgrade to trailer entitlement by doing a further test in a C1 vehicle with a trailer. This would automatically upgrade your B to B+E and your D1 to D1+E.

The job has exemption from the requirements of Driver CPC, but you would need to hold it to drive these vehicles professionally.

Choose your driving school carefully. Be wary of brokers on the Internet. They don't have a good reputation with many people being left out of pocket and without the training they thought they would get.

Have you had any lessons because your tutor will talk you through all those issues

I did my D1 through the police, and it's possibly one of the best courses I've ever done, however, I also found it to be one of the hardest!

Well worth doing if you get a chance though.

I did mine with the Army (cadets) and it's certainly no walk in the park. It's not like just driving a car, believe me I was faced with that attitude when my employer wanted me to do it. I asked for lessons, the bursar sneered at me and said 'if you feel you need them'. Right...

Reading this thread makes me glad I'm 'old'.

D1 (on a not for profit basis) is an automatic entitlement for those of us who passed our test before 1st January 1997 and as I passed my test over a decade earlier, I have it anyway. Still, trying to get on a Carrier course for Police purposes, is another matter!

No, I had to get one for my extra circular activities, i.e.. driving a minibus. The company I'm doing it with are pretty good and do a lot of contract work. I may as well try and get as many letters on my licence as possible.

All vocational licences are a bit tougher than a standard driving test - reason being as any instructor will tell you 'I'm not here to teach you to drive, you should be able to drive, we're looking for finesse and an advanced standard'

You'll need to know how to pull up safely at a bus stop etc for D1.

I am old(er) , so have a D1 anyway.

My wife and I both got a minibus permit through our local council (relating to taking church partitioners on holiday)

Very worthwhile. We both did our test, sat an exam and passed.

I know this isn't quite the same, but hopefully some of this will carry across to the actual D1 test for you.

Vehicle checks, passenger safety and passenger comfort are paramount as well as being able to drive the vehicle to an acceptable standard.

We did ours through Herts CC - http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/transtreets/rsu/driving/advice/minibus/ Lots of useful advice there.

I have also done my D1 and C1 assessments via the force too so if you have more questions please let me know.

• Like 1

Scot - are you with Strathclyde Police and are you a regular / special? It's a 3day course at FTRC which, if passed, results in you getting the DVLA entitlement. I did mine two years ago and they were eager to get as many folk as they could to do the course as there's getting to be a massive shortage of cops able to drive the D1 vehicles in the fleet. I'm not sure if you're a special how receptive they'll be and obviously you'd need to be a diddy driver but it's always worth a punt and would save you a few quid. If you're a regular and frontline then there should be no difficulties at all (and it means you get the cushy jobs at the footy etc! :p )

Is it the case that if you do your cat C you get C1 and D1?

Is it the case that if you do your cat C you get C1 and D1?

It used to be case that if you passed a higher licence such as cat C you would get C1 but not D1. Likewise pass D and you get D1. It's called staging, but looking the updated DVLA site, I can't find a source.

You could have the scenario where you have Cat B, C1, C and pass CE. This would then upgrade B to BE and C1 to C1E. In the event you had D1 it would also upgrade that to D1E. But... It doesn't work the same if you pass D with trailer entitlement. It will only upgrade B to BE and D1 to D1E (if held). It wouldn't touch C1 or C.