Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

The Greater Good

Joint Civil Aid Corps

The Greater Good

Sorry Mods if this is in the wrong area, a bit hard knowing where to put it!

Has anyone heard of the Joint Civil aid Corps? There have been adverts on facebook for the past month or so. The website was extremely vague about what they were at. When challenged they said that there "were many ex-military in their ranks" as if that is supposed to mean anything! 

Welcome to the website of the Joint Civil Aid Corps – a voluntary Emergency Support organisation.  Its concept is to provide opportunities to learn and train in skills to support communities and professional services during emergencies.  People will gain key life skills that will help throughout life, including education and work.

There are three elements to the Joint Civil Aid Corps (JCAC): 

1/ the Civil Aid Volunteer Corps (CAVC), 

2/ the Community Resilience Volunteers (CRVs), 

3/ the Civil Cadet Corps (CCC).  

Ok so I had a look at the Cadet component which says:

The CCC was the first element to be started,  and aimed at 11 to 18 year old’s.  The initial thought was to provide young people with an alternative cadets based on Emergency Services rather than the military.  

eh hello?  So are there not Volunteer Police Cadets, Fire Service Cadets, cadets within the Voluntary Aid Societies.

The website seems to have been updated and there are now pictures of young people wearing Thunderbird style uniforms on the website. I will be interested to see what their safeguarding procedures are like and whether they have Enhanced DBS checks!

The adult side of things again is just a duplication, they don't seem to accept that there are opportunities to volunteer with the police, lowland search and rescue, VAS (SJA/BRC) and so on.

Interested in hearing the thoughts of others?

https://jcac.org.uk/cavc/

Edited by The Greater Good
typo

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
11 hours ago, The Greater Good said:

Sorry Mods if this is in the wrong area, a bit hard knowing where to put it!

Has anyone heard of the Joint Civil aid Corps? There have been adverts on facebook for the past month or so. The website was extremely vague about what they were at. When challenged they said that there "were many ex-military in their ranks" as if that is supposed to mean anything! 

Ok so I had a look at the Cadet component which says:

eh hello?  So are there not Volunteer Police Cadets, Fire Service Cadets, cadets within the Voluntary Aid Societies.

The website seems to have been updated and there are now pictures of young people wearing Thunderbird style uniforms on the website. I will be interested to see what their safeguarding procedures are like and whether they have Enhanced DBS checks!

The adult side of things again is just a duplication, they don't seem to accept that there are opportunities to volunteer with the police, lowland search and rescue, VAS (SJA/BRC) and so on.

Interested in hearing the thoughts of others?

https://jcac.org.uk/cavc/

How dare they want to contribute to society and not just follow someone else’s lead. 

Good on them I say

Member Achievements

Radman

Many organisations across the country have been set up by private individuals to deliver a public service that otherwise wouldn't be provided at a central government level, some examples:

RNLI

RSPCA

Air Ambulance Services

Search & Rescue 

etc.

I say let them have at it if they feel they can do some good.

Member Achievements

Hyphen

@The Greater Good I had to scratch my head a little at the post. You seem very disgruntled about it, have you had dealings or been knocked back from this or a similar scheme, don’t mean any disrespect just don’t quite get it.

In relation to the scheme itself I hadn’t heard of it before but on face value it looks like a good thing, I think there should be more things to encourage public service and particularly for young people to learn skills.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

I will be interested to see what the safeguarding procedures are like and whether staff have Enhanced DBS checks for Police Cadets, Sea Scouts, St John Ambulance Cadets, etc.

Member Achievements

Beaker

To be fair all of the 'normal' organisations are structured around particular ways of doing things. They can be quite rigid in their approach, and they tend to be quite fixated on certain aspects of society, with certain things they can or can't do. I'm a firm believer in Cadet Forces, they can be very good for some folks. However I also figure that if you're affiliated to a particular service (military or civil) you're likely to make a lot of folks not get involved.

Member Achievements

junior_7178

To be fair, they are a registered charity and have lottery funding, so must be legit.

One thing i did notice you can do as a volunteer with them is non-crime scene and public even road closures. Err...no thanks.

Member Achievements

Radman
40 minutes ago, junior_7178 said:

One thing i did notice you can do as a volunteer with them is non-crime scene and public even road closures. Err...no thanks.

Depends.

I remember as a Police Cadet many years ago now a major fire broke out at a large industrial building whilst we were down the road doing some kind of drill (can't even remember what that duty was now) anyhow we all assisted in the evacuation and the condoning off of the scene and remained on cordon for hours whilst the fire service got everything under control.

Worked out well and also ensured local response resources were kept free to deal with other immediate calls.

We all received praise for that incident and our handling of it - as a 16 year old kid I loved being involved but all I really did was assist in putting a cordon in place and standing on post for four or so hours.

Edited by Radman

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Rather dubious about this. It would be an ideal inlet for vigilanties. Police Cadets have a Police control over them, beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Member Achievements

The Greater Good
On 25/09/2018 at 10:19, Hyphen said:

@The Greater Good I had to scratch my head a little at the post. You seem very disgruntled about it, have you had dealings or been knocked back from this or a similar scheme, don’t mean any disrespect just don’t quite get it.

In relation to the scheme itself I hadn’t heard of it before but on face value it looks like a good thing, I think there should be more things to encourage public service and particularly for young people to learn skills.

@Hyphen No, I'm not disgruntled by it at all,  and no haven't had any knockback from them.  

@junior_7178 Whether they are a registered charity or applying for money of the national lottery is irrelevant tbh, anyone can set up a charity.

They claim to have been set up several years ago, only a registered charity for two years. They claim to be a Search & Rescue organisation which is strange as Milton Keynes where they are based is already covered by an ALSAR team (Mid Shires Search & Rescue), also I can't find anybody who has ever heard of them being involved with misper searches, they certainly won't be trained to Search Technician standards, they are not recognised by either ALSAR or MREW. They give vague details about First Aid and how they will be having their own Emergency Medical Technician course!

They mention "Community Resilience" just after the British Red Cross has already launched such a scheme.

They also seem to be wanting to be some sort of Citizens on Patrol dealing with neighbourhood watch, I missed to the bit about scene guarding, how long before they start street patrols? 

To be honest, I would have been oblivious to all this if there hadn't been an advert on Facebook, the website seems to have been updated recently as there wasn't much there before, just a vague description of who they were.

From digging further, and depending on where you look they have either 20 or 40 members (including children). The "Chief Officer" is a project manager for Network Rail who has no experience with either the Emergency Services or VAS, Well I say that he alludes to a year placement with Bucks Fire & Rescue but I suspect that was purely an admin role as part of education course (Business Admin).

It wouldn't be so bad if they had some sort of proper organisation structure like SAR whether Lowland or Mountain have, it all seems Fred Karno's Army. The other thing is the way they are trying to hook people across the country in, they can't be bothered with setting groups up themselves, it will pretty much do it yourself but under the leadership of a Chief Officer

The thing is over the years I have seen things like this come on go. Back in the 1980's, there was an outfit called Paramedico (not to be confused with the present day Paramedico Events which is an entirely separate company) from High Wycombe, they seemed impressive on paper at the time, they had CB radios, an Ambulance, Ambulance Service uniforms (NATO jumpers) own badges, rank structure, they invited medical professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics, Ambo Techs) to join, they even mentioned that they were going to be running their own First Aid and Medical courses. This went on into the 1990's then the truth broke out in the national press, it was all a con. They had one clapped out Ambulance that wasn't roadworthy, they were caught out doing a blue light run with a pregnant woman who had gone into labour when they broke down on the hard shoulder of the M40 and TVP suddenly discovered what they were up to! It turned out nothing was holding water with their claims, no one had any valid First Aid or medical qualifications. Any medical professional who came into contact with them didn't get involved. A court case soon brought a demise to the organisation.

Member Achievements

The Greater Good
On 25/09/2018 at 12:33, junior_7178 said:

Car parking at boot sales? The Air Cadets are going to be livid!

Member Achievements

Beaker

Yeah, you're going to have to be slightly nuts to volunteer to man a road closure. I mean who in their right mind would man event road closures for free?!

Oh, wait a second...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Member Achievements

The Greater Good
2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Yeah, you're going to have to be slightly nuts to volunteer to man a road closure. I mean who in their right mind would man event road closures for free?!

Oh, wait a second...

lol, seriously though you'd be releasing someone to be back out on patrol answering calls, done it loads of times myself

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

😘The definition of a Volunteer is someone who did not understand the question. Must be subject of a Mental Health order. 😘😘

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

The Greater Good
21 hours ago, Beaker said:

Oh, wait a second...

Are MoP allowed to do road closures now? When I say MoP I don't mean Council employees and as for directing traffic....

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David