Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
LosingGrip

Career advice

LosingGrip

Evening all, 

I'm hoping some on here can give me a bit of advice or maybe help me see things a bit clearer. I'm currently having sleepless nights as not sure what to do.  

I've been a Special since 2010.  I have loved it (minus the first six months).  I soon realised I wanted to be a PC.  I applied a couple of times and failed either at the papershift or assessment centre.  

December I had my second assessment centre and failed by 2% on working with others. I appealed the result as I got the paperwork late. This was agreed and they sorted another assessment centre six months later.  I had this in May (I think) and passed. Because I appealed I didn't have to do the papershift like last time.  

Next stage is a local interview. However, they don't know when this will be.  They haven't recruited this year and not sure if, or when they will be again.  However, D&C have recently which Dorset have an alliance with, so hoping we may soon. 

What I'm losing sleep over is what to do. 

Do I stay and wait for them to offer an interview and hope it's not too long a wait (I've heard assessment centre results only stay for a year?).  

I've considered transferring my application to another force, but I don't think this will be possible for money reasons. Plus I love the area I livein at the moment. 

My other option is to stay being a Special and find another career. I've already started lookingat this and it would be a driving instructor. However this is going to cost close to £2,000 if I pass everything first time.  

I'm changing between waiting and leaving a number of times a day. It doesn't help that the job I'm in now is one I dislike. 

Any advice would be great.  I know the only person who can decide is me, but be good to get views from other people.  

Member Achievements

Mac7

You appear to be a resilient person having preserved with the recruitment process this long. That’s a plus.

You’ve omitted to say what you currently do now alongside being a special. Is there any scope to progress, train, develop, move up etc in your current career?

Having been a special for so long I assume you would have contacts within the force who can give you answers regarding interviews and intakes? Or you know who to ask? My advice would be to speak directly to recruitment, that’s the only way you will get a definitive answer.

I had a change of career to enter the police. I can honestly say it’s the best career decision I ever made and I’ve never looked back. You should know after 8 years of being a special whether the job is for you or not. In my old career I knew no matter what I did in terms of progressing up the corporate ladder or lateral moves that it was not for me. It took me 18 months start to finish but it was worth the wait. That was 11 years ago and I would do it again. Only you know if it’s the right move or not but if you don’t hold out for an interview will you regret it? Being a driving instructor is something you could pick up at anytime so it could be a fall back option should you be unsuccessful at interview. However, if you do get an interview then make sure you put the effort in as you don’t want to be back to square one again.

Good luck whatever you decide. I’m sure deep down you know the right answer.

Member Achievements

XA84

I mirror what @Mac7 has said about this. 

Ultimately the question you need to ask yourself is would you be content with being a driving instructor over being a police officer now you've tasted what it's like from being a special?

Personally if it were me I would wait it out, you're in a good position with the force in that you know how they work, their force location and the fact that you'd be seen as a special and not an external candidate meaning no lower starting salary.

I would recommend (dependant on your current wage and that of an officer) saving up whilst you have the chance so you can supplement your new career rather than taking a pay-cut so to speak, I'd also use it to work on fitness (if you need to). 

Best of luck with the decision and keep us posted. 

Member Achievements

Mazza

I would wait, but give yourself a target for how long to wait before you review your own decision. Find out how long your AC results are valid for, that might give you a good jumping off point. As others have said, start saving up for Plan B.

Member Achievements

LosingGrip

I am 95% sure I've made my mind up. 

I'm currently a delivery driver and carer.  I've been at tesco for 11 years tomorrow and I've tried team leader/manager and it isn't me for.  Carer is only because it's my brother.  Otherwise not a chance I would do it full time. PC would be a pay rise.  

My SGT has spoken to the PDU SGT who has said that they have there students for the next year already and waiting and they aren't recruiting for a bit due to the possible merger with D&C.  I don't know how true this is.  I'm going to email HR over the weekend and see if they will tell me when it is likely to be if they can and how long they will keep my assessment centre result.  

If they can't give a time within the next six months or so I'll start my ADI training and stay as a Special. 

If be happy in five years time doing either, but can't put my life on hold anymore.  Thankfully i have a supportive family.  

Member Achievements

BenGee

Keep the faith buddy. I was in the application process for 3 years (I’ve only just been given my start date).

It’s been my goal for a long time now and no amount of money (other jobs) or time would have took that away from me. I know I just wouldn’t have been happy or satisfied if I didn’t give it a shot.

I hope HR get back to you with some productive news.

LosingGrip

Thought I'd give everyone an update.  

Long story short.  Had my final interview in January.  Start my PC training in July.  

• Like 3

Member Achievements

XA84
1 hour ago, LosingGrip said:

Long story short.  Had my final interview in January.  Start my PC training in July.  

Glad to hear it! 

Member Achievements

Mac7
On 10/06/2019 at 12:00, LosingGrip said:

Really glad to hear this. Congratulations. 

Member Achievements

Hoofing

Good skills. Best of luck.

Member Achievements