Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Murtaugh

Anti Police Comments

Murtaugh

Hi everybody,

I've heard a few different ways officers have responded to being called a grass, pig, etc.

I normally just ignore them as they're just after a rise, however, I've been thinking there must be a better way of dealing with them, especially if the comment is made in front of the general public.

Does anyone have any good responses they use, especially ones that are PSD friendly?

Thank you,

M

Member Achievements

Beaker

I usually thank them, puts them right out of step. If they use the "I pay your wages" I ask them where they are because they must owe me for the past year. Obviously the second one isn't available to most coppers.

Member Achievements

Mac7

Most of the comments are straight out of the anti police standard issue joke book, I.e bullied at school, pay your wages etc. Like Beaker, most of the time I just agree with them and they can’t deal with it. They usually shut up pretty quick then. Or just ignore them like you do with a child going through the terrible twos having a tantrum.

Most anti police comments are said to provoke a reaction. You soon learn to rise above it.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

SimonT

I just agree. Takes the wind out of their sails completely 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
1 hour ago, SimonT said:

I just agree. Takes the wind out of their sails completely 

It also helps to call them "Sir" or "Madam" as they seem to take you being polite as an insult. It usually either Shuts them up, or makes their behaviour over the mark and worthy of arrest.  I must say that from experience it usually had the effect of taking the wind out of their sails. It is hard for them to complain about you being polite. It was only your own colleagues who knew that you were quietly taking the Mick.  

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Billy Blue Tac

The best reply to "my taxes pay your wages" was "eh, no. My taxes pay your benefits" It got a bit messy after that though.

• Like 1

Radman
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Murtaugh said:

Hi everybody,

I've heard a few different ways officers have responded to being called a grass, pig, etc.

I normally just ignore them as they're just after a rise, however, I've been thinking there must be a better way of dealing with them, especially if the comment is made in front of the general public.

Does anyone have any good responses they use, especially ones that are PSD friendly?

Thank you,

M

I've never been called a 'grass' as a cop - I'd probably laugh at someone if they did! 

I've had the old:

"Get a real job" 

"Bullied at School" 

etc 

But without fail these have all been from utter losers of society with absolutely nothing to offer who hate you for the simple fact you've stopped them from their criminal, law breaking ways.

I find it best not to argue with them.

As for the old "My taxes pay your wages" comment especially funny when directed towards a BTP Cop dealing with a Travel Fraud!

Speaking of being BTP you'll get the odd comment "You aren't even a real policeman" or some variant of that, not as common at the post I'm at now (better quality of clientele if I'm being honest) but an old sweat I used to work with would just point to the cuffs they were wearing and say "Those handcuffs look real to me, do they feel real to You?"

That would shut them up.

Edited by Radman
  • Haha 2

Member Achievements

Indiana Jones

I ignore them. Then when they say the same thing for the fifth time I tell them that I heard them the first time. And then continue to ignore them.
Such people are unworthy of my contempt, so they don't even get that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

I went through a spell of giving people their money back from my wages. Caused much confusion.
‘I pay your wages’
‘Do you want them back?’
‘Yes’ (confused look)
I hand them 3p and explain that their percentage of tax and council precept divided into wages and non wage costs; then the wage costs divided by the number of officers meant that their contribution to my personal wages was 2.7p, but I rounded it up.’
Most people walked off. A couple laughed. No one took the money.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
Posted (edited)

I sat with a choice young lady who was abusing me constantly - when my oppo got into the driver's seat he remarked 'She's still going strong, then' to which I added 'Don't worry, I've been called far worse by far better'.  This shut her up - sadly not for very long.

As a Special I had a couple of 'I pay your wages' one from a very well dressed and obviously well off middle aged lady.  My colleague leapt in with 'no you don't - the stupid sod does this sh1t for free'  which caused him, me and everyone around to start laughing and the lady to decide she wanted to be somewhere else.

Edited by MajorDisaster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

Even better, the legal know it alls who insist you can't arrest them - right up to the point where you do.

Member Achievements

LeSquirrel

I usually just say that's not very nice or I've not heard that one before, then I tell them I hope they have a good day. Kill the ****ers with kindness. 

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf

When they call you a 'public servant' just tell them that you are; serving the rest of the public who deserve protection from their obnoxious behaviour.  This always shuts them up because they just can't see that there is a wider world outside their self-centred little bubble.

Member Achievements

Techie1

Screenshot_20180810-034058__01.jpg

Member Achievements

Richhamdo

@Murtaugh  Here are some of my thoughts or recollections on the matter. As one or two letters above say, it’s best to be polite,can save a lot of paperwork, especially if you have had a hard day.  I Personaly found that to be the way to go with public order, but everyone’s different.  However I also found after a few years of foot patrol on Friday/Saturday night as a special that my response varied depending on the circumstances. 

I probably wouldn’t bother with saying anything upon being sworn at by people when I was putting them in the back of the  van as I thought that “didn’t count”.it was invariably bravado or perhaps some sort of defence action on their part.  On the other hand being called a  *****ng black bas***ds from a group of youths from the darkness of a shop doorway as we walked on by did get a response from me one night. I was with my reg partner at the time, he just kept walking but stopped after a few yards and waited for me to join him.

I suppose I must have been a bit bored when I think back, then again maybe I decided it was the last straw, I can’t recall now, maybe sick of walking and just waiting for midnight when we generally went back to the car or van to go mobile. All this is going back a bit now as you probably guessed, (I know we were still in tunics and Black british warms/raincoats hence what they called us). 

I went back to the group in the doorway and in my best sorrowful voice said to them something along the lines of, “how would you like to be called names”and  “ we are just trying to do our job” and things like that. Of course for this to work it has to be said in a way as though you meant it and had really been upset by the comments. Actually  it didn’t bother me one iota. You  might need to practice your acting/lines  a bit  beforehand for it to work  but keep it short and polite as has been said. If the insult came from a group,  I didn’t try to single out any one individual, even though I had a good idea who said it. (Sometimes it’s all because of peer pressure from others.)Then of course just continue what you were doing as though nothing had happened.

On the other hand when the public order act first came in and someone was swearing in the street and upsetting passers by,( the elderly for example) I would warn them to “moderate their language as they were upsetting people”I have been on duty with plenty of regulars who would only warn them two or maybe three times at the most before locking them up for section five. This of cource depended on whether it was just their normal language and couldn’t help it, I met a few people like that, every other word was an expletive. Times were different then, once it got to the end of the nineties we hardly did any foot patrol at all because we got busier going from one job to the next with hardly time for a smoke so didn’t get insulted quite so much from complete strangers. 😀.Rich.

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David