Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

XA84

Hi all, 

I was having a conversation earlier this evening whilst at dinner with friends about new policing students and advice that they were given either by their tutors, colleagues or just in passing. We all took it in turns and mentioned something and when it came round to me I replied with the trusted 'what you put in is what you will get out'. This got me to thinking though whether any of you guys had been given advice that has helped you in the past and whether you'd be happy to share it here on the forum as it just may help another user if they are going through their training whatever the role may be. 

Other things that my friends mentioned:

• Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't know something
  • Have confidence and don't be afraid to get stuck in
  • Don't allow your emotions to get in the way of your role
  • Be willing to listen and learn
  • Like 2

Member Achievements

Billy Blue Tac

Here's my updated version of the tried and tested ABC approach to investigatons:

Accept nothing (on face value)

Believe nothing (without independent corroboration)

Challenge everything (with reasonable lines of enquiry)

• Like 1

Zulu 22

I agree with the above but would add. Keep yours eyes open, yours ears open and your mouth shut, unless it is asking relevant questions. Hear all, see all and say little.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

1.You can only deal with what's ín front of you.

2.  'Do the right thing' - if what you are doing feels right, it probably is.

3. 'No plan survives contact with the enemy' which links back to 1.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mac7

Always remember your personal safety. Always maintain that reactionary gap when dealing with people and always sit/stand in houses with an escape route in mind. Never get complacent.

Consider not travelling to work in half blues. You may wear a plain top but you still stick out as a cop.

Member Achievements

SD

Most of your shift will have poor legal knowledge so double check what they tell you with a reliable source.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Beaker
Most of your shift will have poor legal knowledge so double check what they tell you with a reliable source.
This made me chuckle after working with a reg who said something along the lines of "he needs arresting, but I don't know what for".

Member Achievements

Chief Cheetah

If it ain't written down then it never happened i.e. ensure you keep good contemporaneous notes

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Beaker
If it ain't written down then it never happened i.e. ensure you keep good contemporaneous notes
This is awesome advice. Being asked what happened about something 8 months later, and your PNB saving your bum.

I'd add that sometimes you need to take a moment to put things together. Sporting off and reacting too soon when there is no need can cause no end of hassle. Sometimes you just need to let someone blow off a little steam before you get anywhere. Better to spend 10 minutes talking than 2 minutes rolling around on the ground.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Billy Blue Tac
11 minutes ago, Chief Cheetah said:

Proper, sound advice that everyone should follow, not just trainee officers.

Don't fall in to the bad habit of thinking that the paperwork, especially if it's legally required by CPIA for Disclosure, is a chore best left until later or is someone else's problem. Admittedly, most of the failings / horror stories that hit the fan are serious and complex investigations but if officers start out with the right attitude and mentality to doing every aspect of the job properly then the mould is set for the rest of their career.

Sermon ends.

SD

Learn how to use the NDM properly. Most cops don’t even remember what it is made up of never mind how to use it.

Then use it to write up incidents

Member Achievements

SD
43 minutes ago, Beaker said:
1 hour ago, SD said:

This made me chuckle after working with a reg who said something along the lines of "he needs arresting, but I don't know what for".

Sadly that doesn’t surprise me.

Member Achievements

Billy Blue Tac
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Better to spend 10 minutes talking than 2 minutes rolling around on the ground.

Too true.

I'd just add: don't expect every shift to be non-stop fighting and biting (hopefully). Of course there will be times when controlled aggression is needed but officers also need proper interpersonal skills to be able to talk with members of the general public as equals.

Edited by Billy Blue Tac

XA84

Thank you to all that have given input already on this topic there is some absolutely fantastic advice.

Don't forget that ethics, integrity, and attitude are your most valuable assets; never compromise them in your personal and professional lives. I could write a book on how many police careers were forever ruined – all based on lapses in these core values. Ethics are doing the right thing, even when no one is watching, your integrity cannot be taken from you – you can only give it away, and your attitude is what others see of you and therefore judge you on.

Member Achievements

Eddzz!!

Don't think "why should I arrest", think "why shouldn't I?".

That'll get you thinking 😉

• Like 1

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David