Notice Board
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Great Deals

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Whitehall Hack

Drunk cycling Illegal

Whitehall Hack

Got an interesting one for you here. 

Did you know it's illegal to be drunk whilst cycling? Was talking to someone about mobility scooters not being covered by RTA because they aren't classed as motor vehicle. 

Interestingly it is an offence to be drunk in charge of any carriage. Licensing Act has all but been abolished apart from 2 parts: Drunk in public; Drunk in charge of carriage. 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/35-36/94/section/12 

Beaker

Yeah, someone got done for it up here last year. Made me chuckle to see all the cyclists ranting how it was unfair.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

miffy

Punishment is is one month or 40 shillings which is equivalent to about £31.30 (approx)

@BeakerWhat was the outcome for that case? Be interesting to try explain that to the custody detention 

Member Achievements

Beaker
2 minutes ago, miffy said:

Punishment is is one month or 40 shillings which is equivalent to about £31.30 (approx)

@BeakerWhat was the outcome for that case? Be interesting to try explain that to the custody detention 

Three Month conditional discharge, and a £20 victim surcharge. 

https://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/drunk-cyclist-locked-up-and-prosecuted-under-140-year-old-law-1-8729870

Member Achievements

Sceptre
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, miffy said:

The legislation as it refers to the amount of fines will have been amended retrospectively, so it'll almost certainly be a fine of L1 on the standard scale or up to about £200. 

Edited by Sceptre

Member Achievements

Burnsy2023
Just now, Sceptre said:

The legislation as it refers to the amount of fines will have been amended retrospectively, so it'll almost certainly be a fine of L1 on the standard scale or up to about £200. 

The link mentioned has had the edits for drunk in a public place to refer to L1 fines, but not for drunk in charge of a carriage....

Member Achievements

Indiana Jones
35 minutes ago, miffy said:

40 shillings is two pounds,  dead-on.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
Did you know it's illegal to be drunk whilst cycling? Was talking to someone about mobility scooters not being covered by RTA because they aren't classed as motor vehicle. 
Interestingly it is an offence to be drunk in charge of any carriage. Licensing Act has all but been abolished apart from 2 parts: Drunk in public; Drunk in charge of carriage. 

Seriously? You're asking on a police forum if anyone knew about a basic law. I think it was week 4 of basic training that this was taught.
At a station I was at someone was done for it in a horse and cart.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Hyphen
28 minutes ago, Reasonable Man said:

Seriously? You're asking on a police forum if anyone knew about a basic law. I think it was week 4 of basic training that this was taught.
At a station I was at someone was done for it in a horse and cart.

Yes it is taught but in fairness it isn’t something that cops will encounter much these days. I can’t picture a scenario as a response officer that I would be dealing with a cyclist in these circumstances or even stopping a cyclist. I barely stop cars.

Many Specials may not be taught this or shown one line on a PowerPoint slide.

Member Achievements

Chaos

Yup, drunk and incharge of a pedal cycle... I've known bobbies to lock up for it... But they have to be so drunk they are a danger to themselves or others...

Member Achievements

Mac7

I recall this legislation used on a prolific offender late one night in an area we believed he was targeting for burglaries. The bobbies stop searched him, nothing was found but he was drunk and on a pedal cycle. He was arrested and no one got burgled, for at least a night. Great result.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Beaker
I recall this legislation used on a prolific offender late one night in an area we believed he was targeting for burglaries. The bobbies stop searched him, nothing was found but he was drunk and on a pedal cycle. He was arrested and no one got burgled, for at least a night. Great result.

I love it when people think sideways like this.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
13 hours ago, Whitehall Hack said:

Not interesting at all. Just a basic part of Policing for a person drunk in charge of a carriage, any mode of transport.

Member Achievements

Hyphen
2 hours ago, Mac7 said:

That is a good result and a good disruption tactic.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

XA84

A good friend of mine who I used to work with who went off to be a PC with a neighbouring force told me about a situation he had once. 

He was on duty with his tutor and had seen a bloke on a dual carriageway cycling but was all over the place on it, when they stopped him and spoke to him it was clearly evident he was in drink so took him to to their local station where the custody sergeant was having none of it. It was only by chance that a traffic officer who was exiting custody heard the argument and stated that it was an offence so he was kept in for a couple of hours before voluntarily being put on the handheld to see that he blowing before being released. 

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David