Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
Chaos

zombie knives?

Chaos

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1612976/zombie-knives-street-weapons-ban/

STREET WEAPON BAN 

What are zombie knives? Street blades inspired by horror films set to be banned

A long list of dangerous weapons that glamorise violence will also be included in the total ban, putting them on the same legal footing as unlicensed firearms

When will zombie knives been banned?

Home Secretary Amber Rudd will propose to make possessing them illegal everywhere, whether in public or at home.

Selling zombie knives and possessing them in public is already illegal but the police are still powerless to confiscate or arrest suspects who keep the large blades with serrated edges at home.

The government is concerned that the distinctive look of the blades is leading them to be used as a status symbol in criminal circles.

Home Office minister Sarah Newton said: “This government will act wherever necessary to cut crime and keep our communities safe.

“Zombie killer knives glamorise violence and cause devastating damage – they have no place whatsoever in our society.”

Alf Hitchcock, an expert on knife crime at the National Police Chiefs’ Council, said: “Zombie knives are absolutely horrific weapons.

“Forces are determined to reduce the harm caused by these and all other dangerous weapons.

“There is no place for knife crime within society and this ban is further commitment to keeping communities safe.”

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

Painting a knife green or the decorative design is what makes them dangerous obviously. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mac7

I’m not sure I agree with the total ban as the article is suggesting. Why punish the many because a handful of people misuse these items. I’m all for tighter controls on such items but to have the power to arrest someone for having a zombie knife in their house is too far, in my opinion. I certainly would feel uneasy about criminalising who isn’t a threat, would never take the knife outside but has it as a collectors item. People collect such items or are interested in items, why stop that? This feels like a knee jerk reaction to a problem that requires a short term measure but more importantly a long term strategy. Moreover it feels like a reaction from people who don’t really know what they are doing or have ran out of ideas.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

grumeister
I’m not sure I agree with the total ban as the article is suggesting. Why punish the many because a handful of people misuse these items. I’m all for tighter controls on such items but to have the power to arrest someone for having a zombie knife in their house is too far, in my opinion. I certainly would feel uneasy about criminalising who isn’t a threat, would never take the knife outside but has it as a collectors item. People collect such items or are interested in items, why stop that? This feels like a knee jerk reaction to a problem that requires a short term measure but more importantly a long term strategy. Moreover it feels like a reaction from people who don’t really know what they are doing or have ran out of ideas.
Unfortunately this is what happens with everything. A few people spoil it for everyone.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
30 minutes ago, grumeister said:
5 hours ago, Mac7 said:

Unfortunately this is what happens with everything. A few people spoil it for everyone.

Similar thing happened in Germany before WWII also, that didn't turn out to well. 

The issue isn't weapons, its a total lack of deterrent from committing crime.  Lets try a new penal system first. 

Edited by Funkywingnut
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Can there ever be a case of lawful possession for anything even resembling  a Zombie knife.  I cannot think of one single lawful reason.

Member Achievements

Chief Cheetah
9 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Can there ever be a case of lawful possession for anything even resembling  a Zombie knife.  I cannot think of one single lawful reason.

A lot of Trekkies might disagree

bk.png

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
15 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Yes, just bought it, collect them, off to some form of zombie type event.  

Im guessing at these of course. 

Edited by Funkywingnut

Member Achievements

Chaos

Martial arts type events or clubs / dojos?

Member Achievements

Beaker

Sopme Cosplayers have realistic weapons.  You can actually buy some of the fancier Sci-Fi blades, similarly you can get stuff from computer games and the like.  While some of the events don't let you take metal blades (Even blunted ones) in with you, many will do. 

Member Achievements

sierragolf95

I have never ever dealt with a fancy knife when it's either been pulled on me or found on someones person during a search entering a venue. Stanley knifes, standard lockback utility knives from b&q and swiss army knives are generally the weapons of choice. I did have one with a rather large bread knife in his backpack but that was about it. This ban will do virtually ****** all and is just pathetic. It's like putting a plaster on a broken leg, it won't do a bloody thing, but hey at least it'll look like they're doing something!

• Like 1

Funkywingnut
5 hours ago, sierragolf95 said:

I have never ever dealt with a fancy knife when it's either been pulled on me or found on someones person during a search entering a venue. Stanley knifes, standard lockback utility knives from b&q and swiss army knives are generally the weapons of choice. I did have one with a rather large bread knife in his backpack but that was about it. This ban will do virtually ****** all and is just pathetic. It's like putting a plaster on a broken leg, it won't do a bloody thing, but hey at least it'll look like they're doing something!

It's already illegal to carry most knives, its not effective because criminals do not care about laws.  

I would like to see a full audit of all knives seized or used in crime that specified exactly what type of knife was used.  If I was to place a guess, I would say it will be kitchen knives, Stanley (type) knives and other cheap easily available ones. 

Quite frankly we have enough legislation now, this is just More restrictions placed upon law abiding citizens to hide government incompetence in the justice system. 

Edited by Funkywingnut

Member Achievements

SimonT

Define a zombie knife? 

Usually ideas from the government are there to sound like something useful is being done, hopefully without costing any money.

This seems to be right up there, with the added bonus of being even less useful. 

Member Achievements

Growley

It's a ridiculous notion, same as the proposals to make carriage of cleaning products illegal without good reason to prevent acid attacks. All it will do is make criminals out of collectors, while the few carrying these outlandish weapons will just go back to ordinary kitchen knives.

Deal with violent offending, and make weapons or blades convictions result in prison, rather than the joke of a system we have now.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
4 hours ago, Growley said:

It's a ridiculous notion, same as the proposals to make carriage of cleaning products illegal without good reason to prevent acid attacks. All it will do is make criminals out of collectors, while the few carrying these outlandish weapons will just go back to ordinary kitchen knives.

Deal with violent offending, and make weapons or blades convictions result in prison, rather than the joke of a system we have now.

Please tell me what legitimate use there is for a Zombie Knife?

Member Achievements

There are 20 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David