Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Fedster

'Get out of jail free': Will this card get you off a speeding ticket?

Fedster

A police union in New York is reportedly cutting back on the number of so-called "get out of jail free" cards given to friends and family. So what are these cards for?

The Patrolmen's Benevolent Association (PBA) is reducing how many cards are issued to members, according to the New York Post.

A source told the Post the cutback was ordered to prevent the cards' sale online.

The plastic cards can be presented to officers to indicate the holder knows another officer, reportedly to "wiggle out of minor trouble".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42780382

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

It's a courtesy card and I discussed this with a NYPD detective who lived next door to a family member in New York.

Basically it's seen as a way of vouching for somebody - it's not a get out of jail free card. People who act like an ass get the card taken, get stuck on and then the officer who has vouched for them gets spoken to.

It's a bit like our attitude test being backed up by a card from a serving officer which says 'this person is OK if you use discretion that would be supported in my judgement'.

Now before people cry out corruption etc ask yourselves if you or anyone you know has:

Thin blue line merchandise visible

Mentioned being in the job in police interactions 

Mentioned family in the job on police interactions 

Black rat sticker on cars

UK cop humour merchandise visible 

Driven home in half blues 

All these things might factor into an on duty officers decision to use discretion...that doesn't mean you're getting off with things simply by virtue of that fact. 

As it goes, with me, these items tend to have the opposite effect as I'm so terrified of the back stabbing/holier than thou/do everyone legs mentality that I'd be more likely to conduct some formality in these circumstances in case something comes back. That doesn't mean I'll stick people on - but my PNB entry will be more exact, my PNC checks thorough and my attitude cold/clinical. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Beaker

My wife has been told to be nice, polite, and NEVER mention that her husband is an SC. Mainly because I'm concerned she'll get her legs done if someone thinks she is trying to use 'connections' to get out of something. She got pulled recently for speeding, she followed my advice and got told to behave and not do it again. I have no doubt she'd have 3 points now if she'd mentioned me. Not for any other reason except for fear of showing favouritism.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

stewie_griffin
On 2018-01-23 at 12:22, MerseyLLB said:

As it goes, with me, these items tend to have the opposite effect as I'm so terrified of the back stabbing/holier than thou/do everyone legs mentality that I'd be more likely to conduct some formality in these circumstances in case something comes back. That doesn't mean I'll stick people on - but my PNB entry will be more exact, my PNC checks thorough and my attitude cold/clinical. 

That's something of a shame really, although totally understandable. 

Things are a bit more relaxed over here, so all things being equal, I'd be unlikely to give another police officer a speeding ticket (assuming I somehow found out after pulling them over). There are subtle ways of alluding to the fact that you're a police officer without having to say anything!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB
1 hour ago, stewie_griffin said:

That's something of a shame really, although totally understandable. 

Things are a bit more relaxed over here, so all things being equal, I'd be unlikely to give another police officer a speeding ticket (assuming I somehow found out after pulling them over). There are subtle ways of alluding to the fact that you're a police officer without having to say anything!

Do cops carry off duty where you are?

If so, Surely that's a no brainer on a traffic stop (IDing yourself as being armed)?

Member Achievements

stewie_griffin
16 minutes ago, MerseyLLB said:

Do cops carry off duty where you are?

If so, Surely that's a no brainer on a traffic stop (IDing yourself as being armed)?

No, we don't carry off duty.

I can't see anything wrong with ID'ing yourself as a cop. If I pull someone over at 2am, and I'm on my own, I'd instantly feel better knowing that they were a cop. I've had it both ways, where someone identified themselves as a cop to get out of trouble and behaved like an idiot (they got fired) and where someone let me know who they were and I never gave it a second thought.

Member Achievements

Richhamdo

@stewie_griffin Re the very last bit of your letter above. I  haven’t a lot of experience from being stopped but I was once stopped by traffic a long time ago for doing thirty seven in a thirty. I was doing a transport detail/good deed a long way from home one Sunday morning and not a car in site. I was wanting to get home  but I was guilty of speeding and deserved to be punished.  I certainly didn’t mention I was a special to this officer (who also seemed to be in a hurry)and I wouldn’t have done so ever  even if h—- froze over. I was fined ten pounds and had three points on my licence  eventually by the way which for me was ten hours hard work at the time. I’m pretty sure no one at the station ever mentioned it even if they knew which was nice of them because for weeks I was just waiting for it, I probably had the packet of chocolate digestive biscuits all ready as penance to bring in,:)

Those have been my only points and I’m sure the experience stood me in good stead over the years. Having said that I always wondered if at any time my vehicle had been subject to a random vehicle check and then somehow or other when the name and address came up over the radio they knew I was a special and didn’t stop me. I suppose I will never know but I’ve certainly had a good innings to date. Rich.

Member Achievements

Conor James

These cards sound very doggy to me

pretty much like a get out of jail free card to be exact.

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
These cards sound very doggy to me
pretty much like a get out of jail free card to be exact.

Guess that's fine, if you're a dog, and you live in New York.
Not really relevant in the UK though.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Hyphen
15 minutes ago, Reasonable Man said:

That did make me chuckle, I didn’t have any more laughs/likes to give.

Conor, Mersey explains a bit more about it further up the thread. He also explained that it’s not a get out of jail free card.

Might be worth having a quick read.

Member Achievements

Conor James
1 hour ago, Reasonable Man said:

No one said this was relevant to the uk

this article is in fact about New York 

Member Achievements

Mazza

It’s nothing dodgy at all. It’s a card that shows your behaviour can be vouched for by a cop. Cops still have discretion - it’s not like you turn up at a murder and the suspect produces a card and the cop lets them go. It just might help provide a reasonable explanation for why they’re out driving at 4am for example.

Member Achievements