Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.

sierragolf95

Hi all, some of you may have seen my previous post regarding my application for a custody officer position with Police Scotland. Unfortunately I wasn't successful but I still really like the idea of the job and have been considering relocating if I can get a similar job elsewhere. Just out of curiosity. have any of you ever relocated to join the police? I'm considering any areas between Newcastle and Manchester, still keeping north enough that I can be home in 5 hours if needed.

How easy did you find relocating? What was some of the more difficult decisions you had to make? 

Would just like to hear your thoughts on it.

XA84

I very nearly did. I was moving from a staff role with my home force and was planning to go through to BTP and was hoping for Div C, however at the last minute after I'd started sorting everything out to move they dropped a clanger and stated that Div C was no longer available and that they could only offer Div A which is London and that where I would be based I would not be offered London waiting time meaning I was training and going in for a job on £24000k which I just couldn't do. 

Are you an existing officer now or would you be starting as Police Staff?

Edited by XA84

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

In 1954 my parents moved from Sheffield to Aberdeen - a road journey at the time of nearly 24 hours.   They then moved to Bristol, Hull and Northampton over the next 35 years.  I moved on average every 2 or 3 years during 27 years in the Army (not counting numerous 6 month deployments).  You have a choice - you either stay and get what work you can where you are or you go where  the work is.  My eldest has elected to stay local and get what she can while the youngest is looking to head wherever her career takes her.  Both choices are valid and I offer no judgement on either, but you must decide.

That said - I have always been guided by the tenet that 'It is better to be a Has Been than a Never Was'.

Member Achievements

Jeebs

I relocated, and although it has been a good experience and I’ve gained a hell of a lot of skills and experience that I wouldn’t have otherwise I don’t recommend it unless you have very carefully thought it through. Which I didn’t, I was offered a job, and within 4 weeks had started my time at the depot.

I could be home in a couple of hours realistically, but when it comes down to it, it takes a lot more planning and coordination than you think. Shifts compound the issue more than you would think.

You will lose touch will all but your closest friends, unless you are back very regularly. I though I had some great mates, but I now only see one or two when I’m home, most don’t reply to my messages or are to busy with their own lives that you are no longer a part of. 

Family will age at a rate you won’t believe, I’ve only been away for about 4 years, and in those years I have seen a very heathy family member deteriorate at an alarming rate. It’s because you’re not there to see it happen gradually, it happens in chunks.

Would I do it again? Absolutely, although I might do a little more research next time……

Edited by Jeebs

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
2 hours ago, Jeebs said:

I relocated, and although it has been a good experience and I’ve gained a hell of a lot of skills and experience that I wouldn’t have otherwise I don’t recommend it unless you have very carefully thought it through. Which I didn’t, I was offered a job, and within 4 weeks had started my time at the depot.

I could be home in a couple of hours realistically, but when it comes down to it, it takes a lot more planning and coordination than you think. Shifts compound the issue more than you would think.

You will lose touch will all but your closest friends, unless you are back very regularly. I though I had some great mates, but I now only see one or two when I’m home, most don’t reply to my messages or are to busy with their own lives that you are no longer a part of. 

Family will age at a rate you won’t believe, I’ve only been away for about 4 years, and in those years I have seen a very heathy family member deteriorate at an alarming rate. It’s because you’re not there to see it happen gradually, it happens in chunks.

Would I do it again? Absolutely, although I might do a little more research next time……

Ultimately though, isn't it about YOU?  Family are great, but they are other people.  My parents contended with one son in Canada, one in Germany and me wherever the job sent me.  Sometimes you have to think about yourself.

Member Achievements

Jeebs
18 minutes ago, MajorDisaster said:

Ultimately though, isn't it about YOU?  Family are great, but they are other people.  My parents contended with one son in Canada, one in Germany and me wherever the job sent me.  Sometimes you have to think about yourself.

I agree, you move for yourself and the experiences and opportunities it brings for you. It’s great to go out and see the world and live else where and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Rather foolishly, I forgot (being young-ish) that time doesn’t stand still and things won’t always be how they were when you left. 

In a thread about moving for a job, I think it’s important to highlight that, because it can be difficult for some people to cope with and it can be overlooked when moving away.

Edited by Jeebs
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

sierragolf95

Thank you very much for all your replies folks. I am currently in Glasgow with no links to the police at all and would be going in as civilian staff (only with a police force as my employer, I wouldn't go back to a private company like G4S again)

At the moment, most of my friends are/have been work colleagues at some point, those that matter will stay in touch I'm sure of that, never considered the family option however as over half of the family have passed away in the past 10 years there's not many left anyway. About 4 hours after I posted this a family member was involved in a car accident, maybe that's a hint...

I wouldn't plan on returning home too regularly, maybe home for a weekend every few months. It's something I've considered and as I'm 22 now I feel its time to get rid of the zero hour contract security work because as fun as it has been I need something stable. It's just the logistics of it that concern me. I'd hate to get offered a job 5 hours away and suddenly having issues with accommodation just before I start or something.

BlueBob

MD & Jeebs comments are quite valid for their circs.  MD seems a tad more relevant in that the OP is looking to move to where the job is located.  If you're moving house/family etc to the job, pause for a few moments as to what happens if 3/6 months into the job you realise civilian staff is just not for you.  Do you see a secondary opportunity in that region.  You may be leaping from one job you're not keen on to another you're not keen on.  
Perhaps its the language of being within 5hrs of family, but moving for a new job usually means the start of a new life, home, friends etc.  The normal everyday things which will be your new home.  Saying the family needs to be within about 5hrs travel seems to suggest its a temp move.  How often do you plan travelling to see family, are they going to be travelling to see you or is it a oneway thing, is the travel distance / time really relevant?  Lots of family live much closer than 5 hrs and still hardly see each other.  Setting a distance from the family may well be restricting your options for your future.

Member Achievements

stewie_griffin

I relocated to Canada. It's been good, but as others have said, it's not for everyone.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Hoofing

I moved for where I was offered a posting. I lived out of the force area when I applied any how so had to move.

Still within an hours drive of my home town though. Would’ve been worse I think it it was much further away as I can still see my family and friends easy this way.

My advice would be don’t wonder too far from home for this job. Friends and family are the most important thing.

Edited by Hoofing

Member Achievements

Mazza

Why weren’t you successful?

Member Achievements

sierragolf95
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:23, Mazza said:

Why weren’t you successful?

I wish I knew, they don't routinely provide feedback on the application forms I imagine. I have however gone through the core competency sheet again and rewrote that to get as much in as I can (Some of the criteria in each competency are pretty extensive) so maybe I'll have better luck with the next 2. One is an hour away by road, the other is a 3 and a half hour drive away or a 45 minute flight away, not too far but far enough