PC James Dixon: Tributes paid to 'hugely respected' officer killed in crash

Saxon

jhqyza.jpg

An on-duty police officer who died along with a 91-year-old woman in a crash on the A4 in Berkshire was due to become a father.

PC James Dixon, whose wife Samantha is heavily pregnant, died when his motorcycle was in collision with a car near Hare Hatch on Tuesday.

The 39-year-old had appeared in the Sky TV programme Road Wars.

The pensioner, who was a passenger in the car, was also killed while the female driver was taken to hospital.

The incident, which happened on Bath Road, has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

The IPCC said PC Dixon was on a training exercise and was not responding to an emergency or pursuing the vehicle he collided with.

He was also not involved in any other pursuit and his unmarked police bike did not have flashing lights or sirens on.

PC Dixon, known as "Dixie" to friends, was based at Loddon Valley police station, near Reading.

Tributes online

Prime Minister Theresa May paid tribute to PC Dixon and the elderly woman during Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday.

She said: "I'm sure the whole house will wish to join me in offering condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of police constable James Dixon from Thames Valley Police who was killed while on motorcycle duty yesterday..."

Tributes to PC Dixon have been posted in comments on Thames Valley Police's Facebook page, with many referring to watching him on the Sky 1 TV series Road Wars.

2lnaej7.jpg

Thames Valley Chief Constable Francis Habgood said PC Dixon was a "hugely respected" officer and had served 18 years "in a variety of roles" in the force.

All the force's flags will fly at half-mast for the next week as a mark of respect to PC Dixon.

Jo Gill said: "Goodnight Dixie, you really were one of the funniest and best blokes I worked with. You are un-replaceable and my heart goes out to Your family both blood and blue."

Dave Bulger added: "Stand down Dixie, I can't believe you're gone mate. It was a real pleasure to know you and my heart goes out to your family and loved ones."

On Twitter, Ryan Sheehan said: "Growing up I was a big fan of PC James 'Dixie' Dixon and his @tvprp colleagues as they featured in #RoadWars.

"It's well respected officers like PC Dixon that inspire me to be a police officer..."

Road Wars followed 14 members of Thames Valley Police's roads policing officers from 2003 to 2010.

PC Dixon, who grew up in Winchester, is believed to have taken part in several series of the programme and was filmed with his partner "Yorkie".

SOURCE - BBC

It was so sad to hear about this one, it really does make you think every time you go out the door it may be the last time.

I have only just realised that this is Dixie from Road Wars. 

Thoughts with all involved.

Sad news and thoughts to his family and the family of the lady killed. I remember watching him on Road Wars years before I joined the police and he always seemed like a light hearted professional officer.

Only just seen this, I can't believe it - rest in peace Dixie. :(

I'm very familiar with the programme as I watched it from a very young age (from the very first series!) and still watch the repeats now, Dixie is in around the 2006-7 episodes I believe and he always stood out to me ever since I was a child due to his humour and banter yet seemingly unbeatable ability to deal positively with the fool element they encountered - absolute legend of a bobby!

• Like 1