Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
MPotter

Filming Police

RISK OF CLOSURE

MPotter

When is it in your opinion a good idea to film Police officers?

E.g. 1) Whenever they are on duty. 2) Whenever they approach me or are dealing with an incident which is more serious than a simple interaction with an MOP. 3) Whenever the officer is behaving in an unacceptable manner.

Member Achievements

Hyphen

Not really sure what you’re looking for here. There is a lot of information available online about filming police as well as in other threads on here.

Its pretty simple. If you’re in a public place and wish to film police officers or anyone else for that matter then that is fine. Don’t make a big deal of it like a lot of people do because it just makes people look a little bit silly.

Don’t obstruct the officers and if asked to move away when officers are trying to deal with an incident then do so. If you have any issues with ‘unacceptable behaviour’ with the greatest of respect this isn’t for you to decide but you can of course make a complaint through the appropriate channels.

The main point I would make is having a camera phone in front of you does not shield you from being dealt with if you do obstruct police or commit public order offences.

Not sure why people get so hung about filming/photographing, it applies to anyone really not just police. Be polite and courteous and you won’t have a problem.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mac7

First a following question and now a filming one. Both lack substance and context. What are you getting at and/or trying to achieve?

Member Achievements

Beaker
First a following question and now a filming one. Both lack substance and context. What are you getting at and/or trying to achieve?

He films police, and has,I believe been instructed previously by the courts not to.

TBH I don't have a massive issue with it provided I'm not obstructed, and it doesn't enflame a situation.

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, a lot of officers carry their own recording equipment now and are savvy enough to turn it on when confronted with a contentious situation so in all likelihood your encounter will be recorded on their own cameras.

If you would like to apply to have the footage disclosed I would approach the relevant force and submit a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR).  There is a nominal fixed fee of £10.  Make sure you do so promptly after the event as the police have a duty to comply with the DPA which includes only retaining data as long as is proportionate.

Member Achievements

Fedster
5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

He films police, and has,I believe been instructed previously by the courts not to.

TBH I don't have a massive issue with it provided I'm not obstructed, and it doesn't enflame a situation.

Link to channel? Would be interesting to see some context behind the OP.

Actually seen the channel in another thread.

Member Achievements

MPotter

Funnily enough I have been instructed by the courts (by means of a CBO) not to film Police in the Norfolk area and I also have a bail condition not to film anyone without permission in Norfolk or Suffolk without permission. This condition was funnily enough imposed by Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court (Norfolk) in relation to a Suffolk matter!

• Haha 1

Member Achievements

Hyphen

Well if you have a CBO and bail conditions in relation to not filming then you know the answer to your question! What are you trying to achieve here?

Clearly you’ve been involved in some form of Anti social behaviour and as a result have had to be told not to film police to prevent such anti social behaviour.

I don’t know you or the full facts so obviously can’t comment on specifics but the best advice I can give is stick to your conditions or face the consequences. 

Member Achievements

Beaker
Funnily enough I have been instructed by the courts (by means of a CBO) not to film Police in the Norfolk area and I also have a bail condition not to film anyone without permission in Norfolk or Suffolk without permission. This condition was funnily enough imposed by Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court (Norfolk) in relation to a Suffolk matter!

Just to be clear, I've no issue with being filmed. The n a public place after all. I would if someone got in the way while I'm dealing with something though. I may not get paid, but I still have a job to do. I've had to yell at one guy because he was getting FAR too close to a violent dude we were trying to detain. Run the rule that if they could hit you with a tennis ball you are too close.

Member Achievements

MPotter
13 minutes ago, Hyphen said:

Well if you have a CBO and bail conditions in relation to not filming then you know the answer to your question! What are you trying to achieve here?

Clearly you’ve been involved in some form of Anti social behaviour and as a result have had to be told not to film police to prevent such anti social behaviour.

I don’t know you or the full facts so obviously can’t comment on specifics but the best advice I can give is stick to your conditions or face the consequences. 

I'm talking about other counties and London. Obviously I'm not going to film in Norfolk or Suffolk!

Edited by MPotter

Member Achievements

Hyphen

In that case the advice I gave further up in the thread stands. If people behave like normal rational adults they will rarely find themselves in trouble or being dealt with through the courts. I say to people all the time by all means film me, I encourage it as I am not hiding what I am doing and more often than not will turn on my body camera anyway.

The problem comes in when people can’t be trusted to behave like adults and get silly when they pull their camera out which usually leads to the situation becoming 10x worse and offences being committed by the person with the camera.

Member Achievements

Mac7

It seems you have an unhealthy obsession with the police - and most likely an axe to grind.

The fact that you've been banned in some counties leads me to think it's your behaviour, not the filming per se that is of concern.
We don't live in America where the law differs from state to state, the law is the same in all counties. So if you demonstrate the same behaviour in counties you have not been banned from you will have the same outcome.

Now I know your motivation for the "following thread," I suggest you don't follow cops around in order to avoid prosecution for harassment or stalking.

Why do you feel the need follow or film them anyway?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
19 minutes ago, MPotter said:

Then obey the law. It is not difficult to act lawfully, if you do not then you will have to face the consequences. You could always try to be an upstanding member of the community. They are making amendments to the MHA.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Chief Cheetah

Off topic posts removed

Can I remind members that if you disagree with another member then you can either engage them properly, not respond to them or simply choose to ignore them and then you'll never see anything they post.

If there is an immediate issue with a particular post i.e. it is against the forum rules then feel free to report that post using the forum tools or by sending a message to a mod.  Do not start posting off topic merely to have a dig and to have a dig at another member.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

Oh Marcus not again, you have made a pest of yourself and acted unlawfully on many an occasion that’s why the independent courts have placed restrictions on you and quite rightly, as all you do is obstruct the police or commit offences in their presence. What’s worse is when your dealt with you whinge it’s not fair. 

Upstanding memebers of the public can film the police in a public place whenever they want, and quite rightly, as there is nothing to hide in a transparent justice system.  BUT you must accept that if all you do is harass officers they will start to see your behaviour as suspicious. 

Member Achievements

There are 115 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David