Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
The Undertaker

Form 696: 'Racist police form' to be scrapped in London

The Undertaker

Grime artist P Money

A police form some grime artists say is being used as a "racist" way to target them is to be scrapped in London.

Since 2005, promoters and licensees have been asked to complete a "Form 696" as a risk assessment for hosting music events with DJs and MCs.

The Metropolitan Police, which denies improper use, says fewer serious incidents, in particular involving the use of firearms, had been reported.

It comes after the London mayor called for a review of its use this year.

The force said it would instead use a new "voluntary partnership approach" across the city.

"This will provide an excellent opportunity to share information at a local level and work to identify any enhanced risk to ensure the safety of the public," it said.

Officers had always insisted the process helped to reduce crime and disorder, provided up-to-date information about promotions and encouraged venues, police, local authorities and promoters to share information better.

But, after carrying out a full review and consultation on it the Met said it had recognised concerns raised within the industry including those being "disproportionately affected" by the assessment.

Rapper Giggs had his tour cancelled in 2010 following police advice and artist P Money said he had been removed from gig line-ups as a direct result of information passed on via the form.

Speaking to the Victoria Derbyshire programme in March, he described the form as a "race thing".

"Why is it different? There's fights everywhere, there's situations everywhere at all types of shows, all types of things, whether its punk, rock, hip hop, pop, whatever," he said.

UK Music welcomed the announcement on Twitter describing it as "fantastic news".

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: "This decision will help London's night-time economy thrive, ensure the capital is a welcoming place for artists and DJs of all music genres and that Londoners are able to enjoy live music safely."

Source - BBC

Member Achievements

Hyphen

I have never been so outraged!  The police asking for information to carry out risk assessments which appear to have lowered crime and disorder. The nerve of the Police.

On a serious note it would be good to maybe see what stats there are available to show any decrease in crime or knife/gun crime as a result of these risk assessments. The issue is a lot of grime acts are from the black community. Of course there will be more black People involved in this process. It’s a silly view that this is some sort of disproportionate targeting. 

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
17 minutes ago, Hyphen said:

I have never been so outraged!  The police asking for information to carry out risk assessments which appear to have lowered crime and disorder. The nerve of the Police.

Hat's on Hyphen, I am sure our very left leaning posters will soon be making their congratulatory comments. Usual case though, someone shouts racism and the brass cordially agree to change whatever, not because it is right, but simply because off the mention of the 'R' word. But police officers are institutionally racist, every last one of them, aren't they. Start with that premise and every daft idea suddenly sounds right. ;)

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

To me Safety trumps Racism every time.  Surely it is the DJ's here who are being racist as they are trying to play the race card surely. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Burnsy2023
50 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

To me Safety trumps Racism every time.  Surely it is the DJ's here who are being racist as they are trying to play the race card surely. 

I would agree that safety trumps perceived racism, but I'd disagree that it trumps actual racism.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
26 minutes ago, Burnsy2023 said:

I would agree that safety trumps perceived racism, but I'd disagree that it trumps actual racism.

For the police first responsibility is saving life and limb and in that respect Zulu is certainly right, but I think you're correct in saying what is perceived as racism. Problem now is as soon as something doesn't fit in some quarters the racism card is immediately played against the police.

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

And we fall back to tip toeing around the issue.

Just as you can clearly see the difference in dynamics between a football derby and a rugby derby... compare violence at Take That concerts with violence at amateur grime events.

Yes, one might have a BME link but it's not being targeted because of race per se but the criminal demographic.

• Like 5

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Twice in two posts you make perfect sense and present a sound parable. Must be the LLB element of your handle ha ha :)

Member Achievements

Radman
13 hours ago, MerseyLLB said:

And we fall back to tip toeing around the issue.

Just as you can clearly see the difference in dynamics between a football derby and a rugby derby... compare violence at Take That concerts with violence at amateur grime events.

Yes, one might have a BME link but it's not being targeted because of race per se but the criminal demographic.

Very well put Mersey.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
17 hours ago, Burnsy2023 said:

I think that we would all agree about actual racism. The problem is that people hide behind perceived racism when they are using it as an excuse. I abhor racism but we have to put things into perspective which, sadly, rarely happens.

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

The flip side of a vibrant night time economy is violence, crime and disorder.

I remember the levels of violence and criminality I used to witness 20 years ago and they are nothing like what happens today.

To some extent, is a bit of trouble here and there so heavy to bare? The zero tolerance approach has stifled the NTE in London and that isn’t necessarily a good thing.

Whilst I wouldn’t want to see the return of violence and clubs being run by an ‘Essex mafia’ of drug dealers and villains, I also think that stuff happens and to expect the NTE can operate within a sanitised bubble is going too far.

Member Achievements

Pete
30 minutes ago, ParochialYokal said:

To some extent, is a bit of trouble here and there so heavy to bare? The zero tolerance approach has stifled the NTE in London and that isn’t necessarily a good thing.

eh? what is this based on? I work NTE in London and given that there’s only a handful of cops the idea of us being able to operate a ‘zero tolerance’ approach or the NTE being ‘stifled’ is laughable. most nights it’s a warzone with us struggling to keep it from turning into spontaneous riots and carnage

Member Achievements

mla

Interesting piece put out by the BBC the other day about stop and search touching on the subject of "institutional racism" within the organisation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09dlv2n/victoria-derbyshire-07112017

Make of it what you will the assertions made by the two ex officers interviewed. But the issue is showing no signs of going away anytime soon.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
51 minutes ago, mla said:

Interesting piece put out by the BBC the other day about stop and search touching on the subject of "institutional racism" within the organisation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09dlv2n/victoria-derbyshire-07112017

Make of it what you will the assertions made by the two ex officers interviewed. But the issue is showing no signs of going away anytime soon.

True to form

Member Achievements

J10
10 hours ago, ParochialYokal said:

The flip side of a vibrant night time economy is violence, crime and disorder.

I remember the levels of violence and criminality I used to witness 20 years ago and they are nothing like what happens today.

Whilst I wouldn’t want to see the return of violence and clubs being run by an ‘Essex mafia’ of drug dealers and villains, I also think that stuff happens and to expect the NTE can operate within a sanitised bubble is going too far.

Please enlighten me as to this ‘zero tolerance’ approach of which you speak as I’ve certainly not seen such a thing in our NTEs! 

Member Achievements

There are 7 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David