Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Hyphen

Using Body Worn Video for suspect interviews

Hyphen

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home-office-consults-on-using-body-worn-video-for-police-interviews

Re the above the home office are consulting on plans to allow suspect interviews away from Police stations seemingly with a view to replacing the old fashioned contemporaneous interview.

To be honest as part of the wider discussion we really could do with an overhaul in how we deal with things and look at a true streamlined process, particularly when we are looking at summary offences or minor guilty plea jobs.

Why couldn’t the statements be provided on body camera? The suspect could be interviewed on camera and a copy of the video uploaded with an MG5, job done.

A witness statement caution could be implemented similar to the declaration at the top of an MG11.

If anything it would be far more transparent and less to dispute. It either is the person or it isn’t on the video and everything said is captured.

In times of cuts and very little resources we need to come up with ways to save time and money.

Member Achievements

BlueBob

Ec tint reviews seems a reasonable use of the bwv, some minor caveats but generally a good concept.  Not so sure about witnesses, perhaps as a "first account" type record but otherwise, it's not a good format to use.  

Member Achievements

Mac7

I've often wondered the same Hyphen. In the 10 years I've been in, the job have been developing electronic signatures for MG11's. It's never materialised and I've not even seen a prototype.

A victim Statement on BWV could be hugely impactive for charging decisions and in trials for jurors especially in DV cases. Long time overdue in my opinion. I can't believe in 2017 that we still use pen and paper.

Member Achievements

JulietAlpha1

From my experience I’ve come to the opinion that the CPS prefer everything to be written down because it’s quicker for them to skim through a statement/interview notes etc. than it is to watch the whole X minute video of an incident/account/interview.

Interviews at police stations are recorded audio and sometimes video, yet we are still made to write (or have written if we’re lucky enough to still have typists/casebuilders) an MG15 that is then read out in Court. Why not just play the actual interview?!

I’m certain that most of these admin tasks that are done are simply to make things easier for the CPS but with no regard for how long it takes us to complete them.

For what it’s worth, I think being able to record video interviews is the way forward, especially for those jobs that just need an interview to tick the boxes and close it.

I also think we would get more admissions in VA interviews conducted away from the police station. Not due to any underhand techniques on the police’s part (see below), simply because people won’t be as inclined to take advantage of free legal advice so you’d get more open (and hopefully honest) accounts which might be the damning bit of evidence to turn a job from an NFA to a charge or other detection.

It would need to stand up to scrutiny though, I feel. I think there would need to be some level of continuity of evidence, for example so that Police couldn’t turn up at a job and say something like, “Mate, I need to ask you some questions about what’s happened. It’s in your best interest to tell me exactly what has happened. Don’t worry this job isn’t going anywhere. When I turn the camera on I’m going to tell you that you’re entitled to free and independent legal advice but don’t worry about that, it’s just procedure. Just tell me what happened and that’ll be the end of it.” 3-2-1 cameras rolling... PACE compliant interview conducted, full admission, charge.

But generally speaking this is a positive step forward. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

BlueBob
5 hours ago, Mac7 said:

I've often wondered the same Hyphen. In the 10 years I've been in, the job have been developing electronic signatures for MG11's. It's never materialised and I've not even seen a prototype.

A victim Statement on BWV could be hugely impactive for charging decisions and in trials for jurors especially in DV cases. Long time overdue in my opinion. I can't believe in 2017 that we still use pen and paper.

If you think about an MG11 and its purpose - its a document that allows a witness to give their account and for the rest of the system (CPS, Court, defence etc) to look at a that statement and decide if they want that witness to attend court or accept the statement in lieu of attendance.  Video sounds so easy and on some occasions may suit, but imagine taking a statement where you basically allow the witness to meander through their story with little/no direction on content, sequence or clarification.  Thats not to say the witness is coached on their evidence, rather it is how it is managed to become a legible, understandable and coherent account that can be readily communicated to all those who may have to read it - including it being read out to a jury.  It allows everyone to decide what may need to be removed or omitted from a jury in a far easier manner - sometimes it may be just one sentence used / omitted.  On video that could present a far more disjointed account.
Not sure video for witnesses is a time saving route that maintains or enhances their evidence compared to the current MG11

Edited by BlueBob

Member Achievements

Beaker

Lancs do them on their Samsung handsets. I carry some MG11s in my bag, but only because I'll not be issued a Samsung until I'm IP.

Member Achievements

SimonT

I'm all for it. Used to contemporary interview all the time until it was taken away. Fast, direct.

Now it's audio on the only computer in the nick (also used for victims and 12 other things) a mind exploding 50+ step process to get to turn the tape on. 

I'm sure the paperwork associated will be epic, but still probably faster than trying to get someone to come in when you are in and they are free 

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB
22 minutes ago, SimonT said:

I'm all for it. Used to contemporary interview all the time until it was taken away. Fast, direct.

Now it's audio on the only computer in the nick (also used for victims and 12 other things) a mind exploding 50+ step process to get to turn the tape on. 

I'm sure the paperwork associated will be epic, but still probably faster than trying to get someone to come in when you are in and they are free 

I'm actually for once for this. Now because I think its a particularly great idea but selfishly it will make my life easier than currently.

A VA interview where I am is a nightmare, as the process of booking in and out voluntary attendees is arduous. So I tend to prefer contemp i/v but the process of writing them out is in itself a huge task and many suspects cooperation wanes after about fifteen minutes when we are still on question 5...

The VA process in Merpol was great and niche made my life really simple. If that process/system was emulated down here I would not choose to use BWV interviews away from the station.

On another note, does anyone else suffer from suspect deliberation over legal advice? Whenever I arrange a contemp interview I make it clear early on that free independent legal advice is available. Every person I have ever interviewed has waived this...yet it's common that whilst writing the intro for the interview they change their mind causing needless delays. I have spent many an hour sat in awkward silence waiting for the defence solicitors line to call back.

Member Achievements

DB11
On 10/26/2017 at 12:24, Mac7 said:

That sounds awfully frustrating. We've been using digital witness statements for ages, type it up and then sign on the touchscreen laptop. The best bit about it is that when the witness says "oh I forgot to mention..." you just move the cursor and type it into the relevant bit rather than having a muddled up written statement.

The sooner BWV interviews come in the better.

Member Achievements

PCSD
On 26/10/2017 at 18:32, Beaker said:

Lancs do them on their Samsung handsets. I carry some MG11s in my bag, but only because I'll not be issued a Samsung until I'm IP.

On 26/10/2017 at 12:24, Mac7 said:

Similarly in MerPol we have had laptops that can use electronically signed MG11s for almost 3 years and for over 18 months we've had Samsung Note 4s with which we can crime jobs, do PNC checks, view logs and complete statements and have them signed and uploaded automatically to Niche. A lot of this comes down to Mersey-Cheshire CPS actually being willing to work with the courts and get it sorted. 

Our laptops, mobile devices and BWV are all personal issue here - the only issue is deciding what to charge between shifts - laptop/BWV or mobile as we only get one locker for it all! 

Edited by PCSD

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

I often use my BWV for first accounts, especially at domestic incidents when they are sometimes likely to retract. Good evidence when you can capture injuries too.

Just don't do what I did and manage to put it on covert record mode and record an hour worth of conversation post interview at the station :blush:

Member Achievements

andi

We BWV all domestics, and have to submit the footage with the file for a charge decision. We've been doing this for probably a year now, and one of my colleagues was told last week by a CPS prosecutor that they can't watch it, and never have been able to

We also do statements on a tablet and get them to sign the screen.

Member Achievements

J10
On 26/10/2017 at 12:24, Mac7 said:

With respect to DV and BWV, I’ve done a number of jobs recently where the initial allegation on my BWV has been enough to secure a charge from the CPS to allow victimless prosecutions as the victims were unwilling to provide statements later on. 

Written / typed MG11s are still very important though IMO for a variety of reasons.

Member Achievements

Indiana Jones

A BWV interview of a suspect that's NGAP would still need typing up wouldn't it?

Member Achievements

JulietAlpha1

I would think so but you might be able to get typists to do that if your force is still fortunate enough to have them. As our force still have them, the benefits for me would be a smoother interview process, writing a short summary for initial case file and then having typists write up full MG15/ROTI if required. Rather than me slogging away with a contemporaneous interview that results in an NFA.

Member Achievements

There are 8 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David