Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Rocket

Henry Hicks: Met officers cleared over moped crash death

Rocket

Four Met officers have been cleared of gross misconduct over an 18-year-old man who died when his moped crashed as he was being followed by police.

Henry Hicks, 18, was trying to flee from officers in two unmarked cars when he died, an inquest jury found.

Police were following Mr Hicks at more than 50mph when he crashed on a moped in Islington, in December 2014.

A Met Police disciplinary panel ruled the four officers were not technically in a police pursuit at the time.

The Hicks family left within seconds of the decision being announced and made no comment.

Wheelwright StreetImage copyright Google
Image caption Henry Hicks died after he collided with another vehicle on Wheelwright Street in Islington

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) had previously concluded the pursuit had been carried out without proper authorisation and the officers should face disciplinary proceedings.

However, the panel ruled the accusations were not proven as they were not technically engaged in a pursuit, as defined by police rules.

Stop and search

Under Met Police policy, the control room has to be immediately alerted to pursuits, which must be authorised in all but exceptional circumstances.

Mr Hicks died when his moped crashed into a minicab in Wheelwright Street, near to Pentonville prison.

He was found to be carrying seven bags of skunk cannabis and multiple phones.

The teenager had been stopped and searched at least 71 times between October 2011 and December 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41697985

Member Achievements

Hyphen

I remember reading about this story a while ago. Of course it’s sad for the family of Henry but I still think it is frankly unacceptable that it has taken nearly 3 years to reach this point.

Have to feel for the officers and their families as the stress must have been horrendous.

Hopefully everyone can now move on.

Edited by Hyphen
  • Like 3

Member Achievements

Jedi Knight

What's worrying is the IPCC, going by the article, don't seem to know what constitutes a pursuit and what doesn't.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Sceptre

The full report is here.

I haven't finished reading it yet, but the press release page contains some bizarre remarks:

IPCC Commissioner Jennifer Izekor said:

“Our investigation has found that four officers may have acted improperly in their pursuit of Henry prior to his death and we have ensured that all four will face a misconduct hearing.

“Of significant concern to the IPCC in the second investigation, as it was to Henry’s family, was the manner in which police in Islington used their powers of stop and search and stop and account in relation to Henry over a four year period.  Despite being legally a child for the majority of this period, and the number of times he was stopped, little monitoring or review appears to have taken place by senior management within the borough command.

“I am very concerned about whether an appropriate balance was struck between using police stop powers to detect crime and managing the risk of undermining relations between young people and the police in the borough. The police also appeared to have risked creating a perception of targeting an individual young person.

“We were provided with information from a number of sources about officers acting unprofessionally in their interactions with Henry and while the investigator did not find sufficient corroborative evidence to meet the threshold of proof, serious questions remain unanswered about these interactions with a young man who was between the ages of fourteen to seventeen for most of the period examined.

From that I take that the police shouldn't search kids in case it upsets other kids, they shouldn't make active criminals feel targetted simply because they're kids, and if some people make allegations then the IPCC will abandon any effort at impartiality and decide to believe them even without any evidence to suggest they are true. 

Edit: I thought I recognised her name; Commissioner Jennifer Izekor, of the IPCC, has been accused of perverting the course of justice.

Edited by Sceptre
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

David

A Met Police disciplinary panel ruled the four officers were not technically in a police pursuit at the time.

Frankly what difference does it make whether they were or not?

If any motorist (and I include rider in that) declines to stop when legally ordered to do so, then there can only be one person to blame - and guess what, it's the motorist.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Same old same old, the IPCC is clueless about policing. It knows as much about policing as Ofsted did about safeguarding children at the time of Baby P, diddly-squat

Member Achievements

The Undertaker
21 minutes ago, Cathedral Bobby said:

Same old same old, the IPCC is clueless about policing. It knows as much about policing as Ofsted did about safeguarding children at the time of Baby P, diddly-squat

Is it not the case that most people working for the IPCC are former police officers? If yes how does your above quote make sense?

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
6 minutes ago, The Undertaker said:

Is it not the case that most people working for the IPCC are former police officers? If yes how does your above quote make sense?

I know and agree, I am bemused given the staff make up how they get some many things wrong so regularly. The only thing I can think of is that as they investigate police officers the threshold is set exceptionally low for investigation and decisions, well below the balance of probability civil law threshold used by most inspectorates and regulators.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

What I would add is I was always surprised at seeing new inspectors who joined Ofsted from teaching or social work and how they relished setting about their task of holding their former professions to account, expecting standards I doubt they themselves probably would have some difficulty meeting.

Member Achievements

Pete
46 minutes ago, The Undertaker said:

no

Member Achievements

andi
On 20/10/2017 at 17:48, David said:
Frankly what difference does it make whether they were or not? If any motorist (and I include rider in that) declines to stop when legally ordered to do so, then there can only be one person to blame - and guess what, it's the motorist.

Because it was blatantly obvious to anyone with any common sense that the only person responsible for his death was himself, and in a desperate bid to persecute someone for something in order to pacify the baying mob, the officers were accused of breaching policy by not requesting permission to pursue, thus breaching policy.

They were not being investigated for causing his death, just for breaching pursuit policy.

As the panel found there was no pursuit, they cannot have breached policy, and therefore are not guilty of misconduct.

Much as his family, his 'mates', and all the c-list celebs who got in on the coat tails of the social media hate campaign will protest, this was the right decision.

Edited by David
Asterisked word sanitised
  • Like 3

Member Achievements

Hyphen

What confuses me really is what does someone’s age have to do with the stop search issue? The fact that he was a ‘child’  (which is a pathetic statement) has nothing to do with it. The grounds are either there are they aren’t, it doesn’t matter how many times he is stopped or arrested or spoken to. 

Also considering he was in possession of controlled drugs at the time of his death I dare say there were reasons for him being stopped and searched on numerous occasions.

As with the fact that he failed to stop and crashed, no one else’s fault but his.

It drives me mad really this do gooder mentality where fault must be found with the police no matter what the circumstances.

Member Achievements

James255
1 hour ago, Hyphen said:

What confuses me really is what does someone’s age have to do with the stop search issue? The fact that he was a ‘child’  (which is a pathetic statement) has nothing to do with it. The grounds are either there are they aren’t, it doesn’t matter how many times he is stopped or arrested or spoken to. 

Also considering he was in possession of controlled drugs at the time of his death I dare say there were reasons for him being stopped and searched on numerous occasions.

As with the fact that he failed to stop and crashed, no one else’s fault but his.

It drives me mad really this do gooder mentality where fault must be found with the police no matter what the circumstances.

I agree completely, if he was stopped and searched that many times, I suspect that he was acting suspiciously or someone kept reporting him. What does  it matter that he was searched so many times? It seem that he we a drug dealer due to what police found when arrested. The quote from the IPCC report that Sceptre posted seems really unprofessional and tries to be  emotive by repeating "child" etc.

Member Achievements

stewie_griffin

Stand by for accusations of a cover-up in 3,2,1...

Member Achievements

There are 8 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David