Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Sign in to follow this  
Chief Bakes

BBC: Belfast murder victim 'lay dead for two years'

Chief Bakes

Belfast murder victim 'lay dead for two years'

Larkspur Rise road signImage copyright PAcemaker
Image caption A police vehicle was stationed outside the flat complex on Thursday morning

The body of a woman who is believed to have been murdered may have lain undiscovered for more than two years, police have said.

Marie Conlon, 68, was discovered dead in bed in a flat at Larkspur Rise in west Belfast last Friday.

A 23-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday and remains in custody.

Detectives have established that the last known sighting of Ms Conlon was in January 2015.

"It is our belief, supported by the medical evidence, that her death may have occurred at around this time," said Ch Insp Alan Dickson.

"We have launched a murder investigation and a 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a number of offences including murder.

"He was detained in the west Belfast area yesterday and remains in custody."

Image caption Police forced their way into the flat and found the woman's body in a bed

Ch Insp Dickson said authorities were alerted on Friday after concerns were raised about Ms Conlon's welfare.

"Officers forced entry to her Larkspur Rise home and discovered her deceased in bed," he said. "It was apparent that she had lain undiscovered for some time."

Results from a post-mortem examination suggest the death may have been suspicious, said Ch Insp Dickson, adding that further tests were due to take place.

Family statement

Marie Conlon's family issued a statement on Thursday night, it said: "We are shocked and heartbroken to learn about the loss of our beloved sister.

"The tragic circumstances of her death make it all the more difficult to comprehend and accept.

"Marie was very much loved by her family and will be mourned greatly. She was a very independent person.

"Numerous attempts had been made to contact her in person, and by other means, over the course of the past two years but at no point were suspicions raised that she had been deceased.

"It is only with hindsight that the unimaginable now seems possible," the statement added.

'Tragic episode'

Sinn Féin councillor Séanna Walsh said: "One of the tragedies, I suppose, of modern living is that in areas like this you don't have the same sense of connectedness that you would have had if she had have lived in a house further into the estate."

"This type of accommodation is very transitory, there's people coming and going all the time. I just find it tragic, the whole episode."

Image caption Sinn Féin councillor Seanna Walsh said the incident was tragic

SDLP councillor Brian Heading said it was concerning that someone could have lain undiscovered for so long.

"This is something that people need to think about, that if you don't see your neighbour knock on the door," he said.

"We don't know all the circumstances yet, but by keeping in communication with someone there could have been a different outcome in this case."

View the full article

Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich

Belfast murder victim 'lay dead for two years'

How else is a murder victim suppose to lay?

Member Achievements

junior_7178

That article raises SO many obvious questions, that i don't think i even need to ask them.

Member Achievements

Hyphen

What a sad tragic case. I find the comments from the family odd. I don’t doubt that she was loved but what were they doing for 2 years? I suspect there is more to this, was she reported missing? Was she estranged from the family?

2 years is a long time not to be missed really, like I say very sad.

Also it seems early days in terms of investigation/cause of death from the scant details in the article. In truth the article doesn’t really say much at all.

Member Achievements

DB11

Bet that wasn't a pleasant sight (or smell!) for the officers

Member Achievements

Jeebs

Transpired not to be murder, suspect was charged with preventing the lawful and decent burial of a body, burglar and theft.

If you don’t have any knowledge of NI, West Belfast is quite a strange place........with “West” being the operative word :D 

Edited by Jeebs

Member Achievements