Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

The Undertaker

Metropolitan Police tweet sparks social media backlash

The Undertaker

Heroin seized by Metropolitan Police

A tweet from the Metropolitan Police has sparked an online backlash after a drugs bust in Catford, south-east London, was linked to the Notting Hill Carnival.

Announcing the seizure of a kilogram of suspected heroin, the force said the operation had been carried out "in the run up to the Notting Hill Carnival".

Social media users were quick to question the link between the seizure in Catford and the festival, which takes place annually, about 12 miles away in west London.

Some Twitter users accused the force of attempting to "demonise" the carnival.

Grime artist Stormzy was among those to question the link: "How many drugs did you lot seize in the run up to Glastonbury or [are] we only doing tweets like this for black events?," he wrote in a widely shared post on Twitter.

More than 300 people have been arrested across London as part of the Met's operation to prevent crime at Notting Hill Carnival.

Responding to their original tweet, the Met clarified that prior to the carnival the force is "disrupting gang crime, drug supply, knife crime and offences that could impact the safety of the weekend".

Chief Superintendent Robyn Williams, the Met's spokesperson for Notting Hill Carnival, said earlier: "Today's operation is aimed at ensuring that those who intend to cause trouble at Carnival are prohibited from doing so.

"We are committed to ensuring that Carnival remains a safe, vibrant and enjoyable event. People can expect to see operational activity right up until, and throughout the Bank Holiday weekend."

But many replied to the Met's tweet with their own tales of seemingly unrelated woes.

"In the run up to Notting Hill Carnival, I've covered my dog with a blanket because it's too cold in Hemel Hempstead," one social media user wrote.

Referencing the recent solar eclipse, writer Beth McColl wrote: "In the run up to Notting Hill Carnival, the moon has appeared to make an aggressive move to "take over" the solar system. Carnival to blame".

Another social media user said: "In the build up to Notting Hill Carnival I've made myself some toast. I'm in Liverpool".

Source - BBC

Edited by The Undertaker
Clean

Member Achievements

The Undertaker

So over 300 arrests made BEFORE the carnival, yet people are getting their knickers in a twist about a TWEET.

Has this Country gone MAD?

Member Achievements

Jedi Knight

I guess there was some intel about the drugs being taken to the carnival hence the link to it. 

Thankfully I've avoided it this year somehow..

I think the fact 300 people have been arrested as part of the run up to the carnival says it all really.  

Member Achievements

Hyphen

This has actually wound me up quite a bit. These idiots know exactly what is being said here. Are they seriously not accepting that criminal behaviour of this nature takes place at the carnival?

Someone needs to tell these fools to shut up and go away for once, maybe not in such nice wording.

If anything people from all sections of the community should look at this positively, people who genuinely support it and are law abiding should be happy, and people who oppose it because of criminality should be slightly happier. It should be a win win.

Member Achievements

PCSD

I'm more upset that Stormzy thinks Glastonbury is in London...or does he think the Met cover as far as Bristol and beyond?

Member Achievements

Jedi Knight
5 minutes ago, PCSD said:

I'm more upset that Stormzy thinks Glastonbury is in London...or does he think the Met cover as far as Bristol and beyond?

I don't think there is the same stabbie stabbie gang mentality that turns up to Glastonbury either.

Member Achievements

JulietAlpha1

Shame on the police for being racist... again. Who needs facts, eh?

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

It appears that Stormzy is a racist and as people have  pointed  out he does not have a degree in geography. But that is what you get with Twitter - Stupidity.

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

sim
On 23/08/2017 at 09:50, Zulu 22 said:

It appears that Stormzy is a racist and as people have  pointed  out he does not have a degree in geography. But that is what you get with Twitter - Stupidity.

I'd say he should stick to his music instead of getting involved in Twitter 'politics' but quite frankly I'm not sure what he's worse at!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Probably upset because the police have seized his champaign supernova

Member Achievements

Lone Wolf

I didn't realise the Notting Hill Carnival was only for black people, have I missed something?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby
21 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I didn't realise the Notting Hill Carnival was only for black people, have I missed something?

Certainly, the police are not invited because we wickedly want to stop drug dealers, gangs and thugs from having a jolly time.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Conor James
On 23/08/2017 at 09:50, Zulu 22 said:

Really racist towards what race ?

Member Achievements

PC Wannabe

What complete and utter pillocks. The Met aren't 'demonising' the carnival - its a simple fact that there's havoc every year when it takes place, the Met were clearly trying to take steps to reduce that. The only people 'demonising' the event are the troublemakers and drug pushers. 

Member Achievements

Jeebs

How dare the police engage in harm reduction before a massive public event……despicable.

A bit of research shows that last year over the carnival weekend there were 300 arrests linked to it, around 100 for drugs offences and 50 for weapons offences.

But you know, the police are racist blah blah blah hate black and ethnic minority people blah blah blah institutional racism Ad Infinitum

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David