Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Chief Bakes

BBC: Michael Barrymore to get damages over rape and murder arrest

Chief Bakes    6,374
Chief Bakes

Michael Barrymore to get damages over rape and murder arrest

• 18 August 2017
  • From the section England
Michael BarrymoreImage copyright PA
Image caption Former TV presenter Michael Barrymore has faced a lengthy court battle for damages

The entertainer Michael Barrymore is to get "more than nominal damages" after claiming his wrongful arrest by police destroyed his career.

The 65-year-old was detained ten years ago on suspicion of the rape and murder of Stuart Lubbock.

Mr Lubbock's body was found in the swimming pool of Mr Barrymore's home in Roydon, Essex, in 2001.

Essex Police admits Mr Barrymore's arrest was unlawful. A figure for the damages to be paid is yet to be set.

Image copyright Other
Image caption Stuart Lubbock was found dead in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool in 2001

View the full article

Member Achievements

Mac7    73
Mac7

If someone was found dead In the grounds of my house in suspicious circumstances, I would expect to get arrested.

Member Achievements

Rocket    6,363
Rocket
14 minutes ago, Mac7 said:

If someone was found dead In the grounds of my house in suspicious circumstances, I would expect to get arrested.

But it was ruled an unlawful arrest as the arresting officer did not have sufficient grounds.

Member Achievements

Hyphen    155
Hyphen

I would totally agree with that if it had literally just happened or within a recent timeframe where an arrest would be useful and practical in obtaining and securing evidence.

The issue with this one is the fact the arrest was 6 years after the actual incident.

Of course I don't know the ins and outs of the case however I would suggest that if there was a genuine necessity for the arrest the rationale hasn't been written down or documented properly.

I have noticed on a side note everyone is so hot now on the necessity test where I am and people do challenge rationale for arrest over VA for all manner of offences.

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal    740
ParochialYokal

Individual police forces often excel in individual capabilities. Sadly, Essex Police has an unfortunate track record when it comes to detective work. Sherlock Holmes their CID is certainly not.

There were was no necessity for the arrest and he has a right to be compensated.

Putting to one side what that amount may be, it is a shame that society wasn't ready for an entertainer to come out as gay. The media were just as to blame for his downfall as Essex Police.

Whilst he may be seen as being a coward for running, he did so many years ago when homosexuality wasn't quiet accepted in the same way it is now. He made a foolish decision but that doesn't make him guilty. The investigation should have been wrapped up at the time. Arresting someone (unlawfully) six years after the event is just ridiculous.

Member Achievements

Rocket    6,363
Rocket

From what I've been hearing on the news there were sufficient grounds for arrest but the OIC who knew what they were was stuck in traffic at the time the arrest was to be made and so another officer was 'tasked' to make the arrest.

Member Achievements

SD    148
SD
21 hours ago, Rocket said:

From what I've been hearing on the news there were sufficient grounds for arrest but the OIC who knew what they were was stuck in traffic at the time the arrest was to be made and so another officer was 'tasked' to make the arrest.

Then why didn't the OIC phone the 'tasked' officer and tell them what the necessity was? Or wait tell the OIC got there? Not rocket science. 

Member Achievements

Hyphen    155
Hyphen
21 hours ago, Rocket said:

I did see that mentioned. I just find it utterly bizarre that this was the only person who knew the grounds/necessity etc. Was there no briefing? Did no one discuss the job before setting off to make the arrest? As mentioned why not wait until they arrived? It sounds almost comical.

Member Achievements

SD    148
SD
2 hours ago, Hyphen said:

I did see that mentioned. I just find it utterly bizarre that this was the only person who knew the grounds/necessity etc. Was there no briefing? Did no one discuss the job before setting off to make the arrest? As mentioned why not wait until they arrived? It sounds almost comical.

Sounds like BS made up with hindsight to me. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Radman+    850
Radman

Yeah it does read kinda odd...

Member Achievements

Zulu 22    203
Zulu 22

What about justice for Stuart Lubbock and compensation for his family. Barrymore's career was ended by his own actions on the night that Stuart Lubbock died.

Perhaps the ruling shows that there is no such thing as justice.

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal    740
ParochialYokal
What about justice for Stuart Lubbock and compensation for his family. Barrymore's career was ended by his own actions on the night that Stuart Lubbock died.
Perhaps the ruling shows that there is no such thing as justice.

Whilst the death of Stuart was tragic, I am not sure what 'justice' there is to be had?

I don't wish to 'victim blame' by outlining the choices that Stuart made that evening, but at the same time just because someone dies does mean that someone else should automatically be blamed.

Member Achievements

Zulu 22    203
Zulu 22

He certainly did not expect or deserve to die at some perverts hands and the party was at Barrymore's and everybody played dumb. I think the only reason that his family cannot claim is because of the length of time. Justice would be the prosecution of those responsible, but then, money talks.

Member Achievements

Mac7    73
Mac7

I don't wish to 'victim blame' by outlining the choices that Stuart made that evening, but at the same time just because someone dies does mean that someone else should automatically be blamed.

It is a murder investigation, therefore someone IS to blame.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man    258
Reasonable Man

It is a murder investigation, therefore someone IS to blame.

Not necessarily.

Member Achievements