Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
chaos4122

Veteran cop probed by own force after finding CCTV missed by detectives investigating vicious attack on his son

Indiana Jones

Seems fair all round. Initial investigastors should have checked more thoroughly for CCTV. He ought not to have become involved in the investigation in the way he did. Everyone who needed to was spoken to. End of.

Member Achievements

chaos4122
Seems fair all round. Initial investigastors should have checked more thoroughly for CCTV. He ought not to have become involved in the investigation in the way he did. Everyone who needed to was spoken to. End of.

As i understand it, most forces have a policy that if you are unhappy with the outcome of an investigation then you have a right to have it reviewed.

However that could take some time to go though the process, and by that time the critical CCTV evidence that was missed might have been wiped.

I think the officer did a simple enquiry that actually helped solve the case and he was not directly involved.

Words of advice is the most that they could give him.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the Police Community App

• Like 3

Member Achievements

NCFPA

I've always said the worse victim to manage expectations wise are those who have family in the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

In the report it states quote "The six-month internal probe concluded there was no evidence he had directly accessed information on Bamgbose on GMP computer systems while his anger had been ‘poor judgement’ rather than a disciplinary offence, according to an internal GMP report". I disagree it was not poor judgement it was correcting and bringing to attention a very poor and substandard investigation. His actions brought about the appearance, conviction and sentencing of a violent individual. The attacker now has 23 months, less remission, to reflect on his behaviour.

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Like 2

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
9 minutes ago, NCFPA said:

I've always said the worse victim to manage expectations wise are those who have family in the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

The victim is still entitled to a proper investigation and Justice. He had a right to expect better than the original investigation.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Policey_Man

This just goes to show what happens when there aren't enough officers and everyone is tired, rushing around, dealing with loads of investigations.... things get missed and corners cut.  It's bad for the victims and it reflects poorly on the service.

#cutshaveconsquences

• Like 4

Member Achievements

bensonby

Whilst there are obvious issues in getting involved in an incident in which you have a personal interest you don't cease to be a police officer with all that involves just because you have a personal interest. Provided whatever you do is auditable and you are up front as to what you do and why then I don't really see any issues - provided for there is a legitimate policing purpose.

Edited by bensonby
  • Like 3

Member Achievements

Growley
This just goes to show what happens when there aren't enough officers and everyone is tired, rushing around, dealing with loads of investigations.... things get missed and corners cut.  It's bad for the victims and it reflects poorly on the service.
#cutshaveconsquences

To be honest, I'm reluctant to write that off as a consequence of financial cuts. That's just poor police work. I would expect to be stuck on in those circumstances, and I would expect any other officer failing in that way to be stuck on too.
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
2 minutes ago, Growley said:

To be honest, I'm reluctant to write that off as a consequence of financial cuts. That's just poor police work. I would expect to be stuck on in those circumstances, and I would expect any other officer failing in that way to be stuck on too.

But if you dont' have enough people and one person ends up going as continuity officer and the other is left trying to get witness details, establish a scene, keep people away from the scene, etc, they are going to have a lot to do and could easily miss something.

The more people you have, the better you can do stuff.

Edited by Policey_Man

Member Achievements

Growley
But if you dont' have enough people and one person ends up going as continuity officer and the other is left trying to get witness details, establish a scene, keep people away from the scene, etc, they are going to have a lot to do and could easily miss something.
The more people you have, the better you can do stuff.

Sure, but then you need to have some integrity and ensure the crime report records that you didn't have a chance to check for CCTV.

It's the difference between the job being binned and the job being investigated further.

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
21 minutes ago, Growley said:

Sure, but then you need to have some integrity and ensure the crime report records that you didn't have a chance to check for CCTV.

It's the difference between the job being binned and the job being investigated further.

We don't know what was written on the crime report though. You're making an assumption that the officer did something wrong. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Their crime audit department might have prematurely closed the report. Something might have been overlooked by accident....

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

I imagine the investigation went thus:

Officers at scene asked if there was council CCTV of the incident. They were told there was not. They write up 'no cctv' without conducting a CCTV trawl.

A Detective Super, with senior level investigations experience, understands the basics of crime investigation alt better than the response PC and finds solvability.

It's just about excusable that the attending officers would overlook this principle with call demand etc but this offence would almost certainly have reached a detectives lap and I'm surprised it was closed off without secondary investigation.

Though before we criticise too harshly ask yourself (if you're a response officer or volume crime investigator) how in depth your house to house or CCTV trawls are? How often do you conduct media appeals? Taxi enquiries?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Radman

Minor in nature I know but my Mrs had her number plates nicked last year from her car, she reported it to the local police and knowing what I know over how stretched they are I decided it best to go round the nearby buisinesses and see if they had any footage overlooking the area where her car was/asked if any local employees saw anything.

Got a call two weeks later from the officer in case and I told him that I already checked the CCTV in area and spoke to local buisinesses for witnesses.

He told me "Oh thanks for that" and wrote the job off as there wasnt anything.

People have a right to ensure justice is done and have a right to follow things up themselves.

I personally believe the father acted in the best interest of his family and ultimately society - whoever flagged this up to supervision needs a good hard look in the mirror.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Growley
10 hours ago, Policey_Man said:

We don't know what was written on the crime report though. You're making an assumption that the officer did something wrong. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Their crime audit department might have prematurely closed the report. Something might have been overlooked by accident....

I'm not assuming, I'm making an inference based on the information we have. The article states that the officers received management action afterwards for 'poor investigative practice', which on the face of it, this is.

I like to give my colleagues the benefit of the doubt wherever possible, but I also know how things can be.

Member Achievements

There are 24 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David