IE Recruitment :: Feb 2017 Campaign (South)

Immigration Doge

2h5mafc.png

Immigration Enforcement are recruiting in the Southern Region :: ASSISTANT IMMIGRATION OFFICER

CLOSING DATE 20th FEBRUARY 2017

If you fancy a change of career or are are looking to enter a job similar to policing, then take a look at the following link:
https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/jobs.cgi?jcode=1525422

Annualised Hours Working (AHW) contracts are currently ~34% so the following salaries apply to new recruits:
- London:  £24,336 + AHW = ~£32,610
- National: £20,352 + AHW  = ~£27,271

(above salaries are approximates)

As an AIO you will work on an accredited training programme known as "Pathway" - this is similar to being a Probationary Constable. Once completed you will obtain the rank of IO, becoming fully independent and receiving a pay rise.

If anyone has any questions about the job, about life as an IO or needs help with the recruitment process, feel free to post a reply to this topic or message me directly :)

• 10 months later...

How do,

just recently managed to get to the interview stage for this role in their latest recruitment campaign (being interviewed in January). Was just looking for an insight into the life of an IO should I be offered a post. What to expect, a typical day etc. There doesn't seem to be much literature available unlike with the police.

Many thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 11:11, Irons said:

How do,

just recently managed to get to the interview stage for this role in their latest recruitment campaign (being interviewed in January). Was just looking for an insight into the life of an IO should I be offered a post. What to expect, a typical day etc. There doesn't seem to be much literature available unlike with the police.

Many thanks 

Hello mate.

Well there are many different things you can be tasked with on any given day, such as the following:
- Visits - (whatever you do, don't call them raids!) the main type of work you'll do, questioning people in residential and business premises, arresting offenders.
- Street Ops - conducting spot-checks on people in the street and arresting offenders (VERY rare nowadays, due to it being controversial).
- Checks Shift - staying in the office whilst a team goes out on visits. You are then contacted to conduct database checks on people they encounter.
- Police Ops - joint working with The Met / CoLP doing ANPR operations, etc
- Council Ops - joint working with local councils, investigating rogue landlords and illegal business activity.
- Covert Activity - (Shhh, it's a secret).
- Warrant Prep - writing applications for search warrants, then attending court to obtain them.
- Reporting Centre - assist the RC staff with dealing with offenders who report and sign-on (like bail).
- Sham Marriages - Investigating marriage applications and proving if they are legitimate or not.
- ...there's more and you'll learn about everything if you join.

As well as that there are opportunities to work with other departments within IE, such as Intelligence, Criminal & Financial Investigations and more. You can always apply to move to one of these depts or go on secondment.

Your bread and butter work as an arrest IO will be divided into 2 types of visit: Residential and Illegal Working. Residential visits will involve visiting people's homes and this can often lead to us forcing entry with Method of Entry (MoE) officers. Illegal working will see you visiting lots of different restaurants, as well as construction sites and other businesses - this is often the bigger challenge due to difficulty in securing a premise, to stop people absconding (especially if it's large).

Essentially, you'll be checking people's details against systems to see if they have the right to be here - a lot of the time it's a simple as "Your visa's run out; you're under arrest." On other occasions you could be dealing with false documents, people lying through their teeth and having to do a lot more detective work... but all of that will be taught to you in training and throughout mentoring.

With regards to shifts, they are all over the place. The turn around from earlies, to mids, lates and nights is often quick and unforgiving. It's not going to kill you, but it can be hard at times. There's no set structure and you will only be notified of your shifts 2 - 3 weeks in advance - they can also change at short notice.

Have a look on YouTube for old episodes of "Border Force UK" for a little insight into the work we do (ignore the airport / seaport stuff). It's changed a lot since then, but the basic idea is still the same. If you've got anymore questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to give you answers.

Good luck!

Hello mate.
Well there are many different things you can be tasked with on any given day, such as the following:
- Visits - (whatever you do, don't call them raids!) the main type of work you'll do, questioning people in residential and business premises, arresting offenders.
- Street Ops - conducting spot-checks on people in the street and arresting offenders (VERY rare nowadays, due to it being controversial).
- Checks Shift - staying in the office whilst a team goes out on visits. You are then contacted to conduct database checks on people they encounter.
- Police Ops - joint working with The Met / CoLP doing ANPR operations, etc
- Council Ops - joint working with local councils, investigating rogue landlords and illegal business activity.
- Covert Activity - (Shhh, it's a secret).
- Warrant Prep - writing applications for search warrants, then attending court to obtain them.
- Reporting Centre - assist the RC staff with dealing with offenders who report and sign-on (like bail).
- Sham Marriages - Investigating marriage applications and proving if they are legitimate or not.
- ...there's more and you'll learn about everything if you join.
As well as that there are opportunities to work with other departments within IE, such as Intelligence, Criminal & Financial Investigations and more. You can always apply to move to one of these depts or go on secondment.
Your bread and butter work as an arrest IO will be divided into 2 types of visit: Residential and Illegal Working. Residential visits will involve visiting people's homes and this can often lead to us forcing entry with Method of Entry (MoE) officers. Illegal working will see you visiting lots of different restaurants, as well as construction sites and other businesses - this is often the bigger challenge due to difficulty in securing a premise, to stop people absconding (especially if it's large).
Essentially, you'll be checking people's details against systems to see if they have the right to be here - a lot of the time it's a simple as "Your visa's run out; you're under arrest." On other occasions you could be dealing with false documents, people lying through their teeth and having to do a lot more detective work... but all of that will be taught to you in training and throughout mentoring.
With regards to shifts, they are all over the place. The turn around from earlies, to mids, lates and nights is often quick and unforgiving. It's not going to kill you, but it can be hard at times. There's no set structure and you will only be notified of your shifts 2 - 3 weeks in advance - they can also change at short notice.

Have a look on YouTube for old episodes of "Border Force UK" for a little insight into the work we do (ignore the airport / seaport stuff). It's changed a lot since then, but the basic idea is still the same. If you've got anymore questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to give you answers.

Good luck!

Fascinating insight. Just out of interest, what do you mean when you say things have changed a lot since the 'Border Force UK' episodes?

On 1/2/2018 at 14:27, Kevin said:

Fascinating insight. Just out of interest, what do you mean when you say things have changed a lot since the 'Border Force UK' episodes?

We've completely split from the officers you see at airports / seaports. The "Border Agency" no longer exists - "Border Force" and "Immigration Enforcement" are organisations in their own right.

There's been a major image change; we now wear police-like uniforms and our vehicles are marked with battenburg. The organisation isn't anywhere near the standards of the police, but it's becoming more and more like a mini-police force. A lot of the tactics and operating procedures are gradually creeping in. Intelligence, criminal investigations and offender management are all undergoing major reform.

There's a lot of new blood being recruited and a good portion of it is ex-HMP, ex-police, ex-military, etc... where traditionally Immigration Officers were "uni types." With that comes outside experience that is influencing the new direction of IE - the job is much hotter on PNBs, MG11s, etc and the image is generally a lot more professional.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi all,

Firstly Id like to state that I'm well aware that this thread is very old, I just wondered if I might be able to have a conversation with any IE officers as I am in the stages of recruitment for the HO and would love to gather any insight to the job.

I've signed up to the Forum specifically today for this post so please forgive my complete lack of knowledge on how things worth etc, I am not in a position to DM any members and I would assume that's due to my lack of time within the forum / lack of engagement, Happy to ask questions of someone who responds here or of anyone who is an active IE officer could reach out to me that would be great. 

Thanks for reading.

• Admin Team

Recruitment Query Not Permitted On Your Account
This has been posted in the wrong area of the forum. Your account does not have an active membership or a current Recruitment Pass. You must post your topic in the Recruitment Area or Force Specific Areas of our forum

Recruitment Pass

A Recruitment Pass can be purchased for 1 month (£6.95) or 3 months (£11.95) and is renewable. During its active period you will be able to create as many topics and make as many replies as you like in the Force Specific Areas and the Recruitment sections of our forum.

Recruitment_Pass.png

Membership Plans

You can purchase an annual Silver Membership Package for just £19.95 which will give you unrestricted access to the Recruitment Sections and to all of the Force Specific Areas. We also include access to the exclusive VIP areas. Click HERE to see all of the benefits of a Membership Package. We also have our Gold Membership which is a one time lifetime fee and we even throw in a FREE mug.

Silver.png Gold.png

This thread has been locked as the original poster has posted this in an area of the forum where it is not permitted and their account does not currently have the required permissions.