Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Fedster

Policeman's shocking explanation for pulling over 'black guys' driving Bentley

Radman
14 minutes ago, Fedster said:

Scotland Yard has apologised after a police officer was filmed telling a DJ it was a "fact" black people commit more crime after pulling him over as he drove a Bentley through central London.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/a-car-full-black-guys-9596451

People say the Met have a public relations problem... Wonder why?

This cop is the reason why we have seen our stop search powers curbed, frankly he's a walking, talking, liability.

Edited by Radman

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
5 hours ago, Radman said:

People say the Met have a public relations problem... Wonder why?

This cop is the reason why we have seen our stop search powers curbed, frankly he's a walking, talking, liability.

Would you want him to be armed?

Member Achievements

Fedster
15 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

How is that relevant to this topic?

Please use the other thread for debate about arming the police.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Zulu 22
12 minutes ago, Fedster said:

How is that relevant to this topic?

Please use the other thread for debate about arming the police.

Because people said that this type of officer did not exist.:(

Member Achievements

Jedi Knight

Have any statistics ever been produced for his apparent assumption?

The problem is in any area where a specific race / skin colour is in the majority then the likely hood is that they may be responsible for the majority of crime. They may also not be but the problem is forces have different ethnic and social background make ups in their areas.  

Where I come from originally I can definitely say that whites made up the majority of the people responsible for crime. It may have changed but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Hellagood

I had read the article here - http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/met-officer-pulls-over-dj-driving-rented-bentley-and-says-it-is-fact-that-black-men-in-gangster-a3436831.html

And apparently he djs at DSTRKT. Thought I had heard the name recently and rediscovered this -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/01/dstrkt-nightclub-denies-ban-dark-overweight-women-west-end-london

Do you think he'll take his cameras back there for another exclusive exposé?

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Radman
8 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Loaded question Zulu!

His attitude is all wrong and frankly he's the reason why we see the changes to legislation that we've seen over the years. When we see video of people being pulled over and the age old "I'm being stopped because I'm black" gets said most of us would roll our eyes but this officer has effectively shown the whole world that yeah, he at least stops drivers simply because they are young and black... 

It's just unreal in today's world a cop would say something like that.

In my area the main offenders of crime that I deal with are white British men, followed by Eastern European men and then probably white British females.

I deal with very few other ethnic backgrounds. 

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

I'd like to see an unedited video before I throw this officer under the bus for being racist.

I have had, better worded, similar discussions with members of the public during a S60 operation.

Black people are disproportionally stopped by police for stop search in London if you consider the population breakdown but also disproportionally represent crime suspects for street crime (I belive the information for that statistic was based on victim description).

A similar theme occurs in heavily Asian populated areas in Northern Cities.

The trend almost certainly would have been reflected in S44 terrorism searches at rail stations in 2005/2006.

A similar trend occurs with white British tourists in Thailand tourist areas for drugs stops.

Now people are saying 'profiling' is wrong - actually profiling is intelligence led policing. 

Random arbitrary stops based on skin colour are not profiling - they're unlawful and abhorrent. 

People make a joke about it but Lancashire police will be more likely to delve further into a 66 plate Audi of early 20s Scousers than they would a black male in a Bentley - because it fits the crime demographic for car key burglary.

It might seem unfair to Scousers but I would hazard a guess that without coppers 'profiling' and conducting proactive traffic stops alot of serious crime would go undetected.

So I'm not agreeing with the Met officer...I can't - because I don't know what he said and why. If they were the first words out of his mouth to this DJ then he could well be bigoted and due for a new career. Or he might have fallen victim to race baiting and video editing.

I'd be interested to know the registration details and insurance information for the Bentley as well because that might provide more sensible grounds for the stop than 'black man in expensive motor - must have nicked it' subtext that's being pushed (and swallowed by members here it would seem).

• Like 10

Member Achievements

Jeebs

I see nothing wrong with the officer and his comment PROVIDING that it is based on statistical evidence (which as far as I know, it is) rather than anecdotal evidence observed/experienced by the individual officer.

Its like saying the majority of republican dissidents are Roman Catholic for example. Statistically, they are.

If, in a given area of a city, the majority of crime is STATISTICALLY committed by one group, be it straight white men, black transgender women, Gay Asian Jews......whatever, why is there an issue if the police pursue people who fit into a certain bracket a problem?

If it's a case of "I once dealt with a black lad that nicked a high performance car. I'm gunna stop all black men in high performance vehicles" then there is an issue.

Unbeknown to the public, police profile and target people from all sort of different ethnic backgrounds, belief structures, sexuality, whatever, all the time.

Edited by Jeebs
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Mdon
On 11/01/2017 at 16:31, Zulu 22 said:

He used to be armed. 

Member Achievements

Sherlock
I see nothing wrong with the officer and his comment PROVIDING that it is based on statistical evidence (which as far as I know, it is) rather than anecdotal evidence observed/experienced by the individual officer.
Its like saying the majority of republican dissidents are Roman Catholic for example. Statistically, they are.
If, in a given area of a city, the majority of crime is STATISTICALLY committed by one group, be it straight white men, black transgender women, Gay Asian Jews......whatever, why is there an issue if the police pursue people who fit into a certain bracket a problem?
If it's a case of "I once dealt with a black lad that nicked a high performance car. I'm gunna stop all black men in high performance vehicles" then there is an issue.
Unbeknown to the public, police profile and target people from all sort of different ethnic backgrounds, belief structures, sexuality, whatever, all the time.

Precisely. What the officer said here may be a little terse, however relevant. Statistically.

The statistics are out there. What the officer said isn't a matter to screech 'racist'. Lest not forget the black victims (particularly knife crime) here either.

Someone suggested on here that this officer is the reason Stop & Search is in the limelight. This is partly (and sadly) true. Although the same very person branded the officer a racist, based on no facts. This is also why Stop & Search is topical, which is a bigger threat.

When you've taken a look at the facts, do come back and tell us all about how 'racist' the officer is, won't you?

-Sherlock

Member Achievements

Radman
10 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Precisely. What the officer said here may be a little terse, however relevant. Statistically.

The statistics are out there. What the officer said isn't a matter to screech 'racist'. Lest not forget the black victims (particularly knife crime) here either.

Someone suggested on here that this officer is the reason Stop & Search is in the limelight. This is partly (and sadly) true. Although the same very person branded the officer a racist, based on no facts. This is also why Stop & Search is topical, which is a bigger threat.

When you've taken a look at the facts, do come back and tell us all about how 'racist' the officer is, won't you?

-Sherlock

You cannot stop someone simply because they are young and black and then say:

"Well its young black folk causing all the crime around here so you're going to get stopped aren't you?..."

You're breaching basic principles of bobbying...

This thinking was what caused sus laws to be reformed and we are now seeing all the stop and search pressure - ive qiuetly thought that the whole stop search issue is frankly a London issue caused by different mindsets/methods with policing.

If my inspector called me into his office and asked me:

"So Radman why did you stop those two lads?"

If I said to him:

"Well boss its because they're black and black men commit more crime than everyone else so I thought they were worth a spin..."

I'd expect to be referred onto PSD very quickly.

Some folk here clearly know this cop, has anyone asked him what sort of public response he expected from his comments? 

Its incredible naivety on his part it seems.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Rocket

The IPCC has opened an investigation into this;

IPCC to investigate police stop of Bentley driver

Jan 27, 2017

The IPCC is investigating the Metropolitan Police Service following an incident where a black man driving a Bentley convertible was stopped in central London.

The incident took place near Piccadilly at 12.30am on 5 January.

Some video footage of the exchange between the police and the occupants of the car has been circulated widely on social media.

IPCC Commissioner Cindy Butts said:

“This incident has received widespread social media attention and in the press and it is therefore important for public confidence in policing that the matter is independently investigated. That is why we required the Metropolitan Police to refer the incident to the IPCC.

“We know that the incident itself lasted for about 16 minutes, the officer was wearing and had activated his body worn video at the time, so it’s important we examine all of the circumstances surrounding the stop.”

IPCC investigators will be reviewing any available footage, speaking to the parties involved and any independent witnesses to assess the rationale for the stop and the subsequent actions of the officer involved.

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/ipcc-investigate-police-stop-bentley-driver

Member Achievements

There are 13 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David