Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Inbtsiyp

9 Peelian principles

Inbtsiyp

These are them as copied from Wikipedia

1. To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.

2. To recognise always that the power of the police to fulfil their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behaviour, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.

3. To recognise always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.

4. To recognise always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.

5. To seek and preserve public favour, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humour, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.

6. To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.

7. To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

8. To recognise always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary, of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.

9. To recognise always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.

I believe that the the leadership have lost site of these principals and it is a key reason to the breakdown of respect and authority the police used to hold.

A fundamental return to these principals I believe will change the police on the whole for the good.

What do you think. What are the most important ones for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Hard to argue against them and I would very much welcome a reintroduction of these principles.

Member Achievements

Devil

The one that I believe we are massively away from nowadays is number 5. We seem to pander to media/public opinion regularly and police to what is the popular topic of the moment.

• Like 5

Member Achievements

Inbtsiyp
The one that I believe we are massively away from nowadays is number 5. We seem to pander to media/public opinion regularly and police to what is the popular topic of the moment.

I whole heartedly agree with this as I have alluded to in another thread.

I also believe, at least in the Met anyway, that we spend far too much time running around reporting crime and trying to give a good impression of managing the results of crime rather than proactively preventing it in the first place. Missing the point of number 9.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

SD

Moved away from? They've been binned...for these:

PEEL assessments are broken up into three pillars:

• effectiveness;
  • efficiency; and 
  • legitimacy.

Member Achievements

Inbtsiyp
Moved away from? They've been binned...for these:

PEEL assessments are broken up into three pillars:

• effectiveness;
  • efficiency; and 
  • legitimacy.

I've obviously had my head buried in the sand. When and who decided on them?

Member Achievements

Milankovitch

Peel would probably be a bit confused that these have been ascribed to him if he was still around!

• Like 3

Zulu 22

I believe that the principles did apply but have been lost over the 100 years. If you go to the definition of a Constable it covers most of the points. You could now add blindly obey the PCC and the Politicuans.  I prefer "without fear or favour malice or ill will" 

Member Achievements

SD
On 04/01/2017 at 18:47, Bacon_sandwich said:

I've obviously had my head buried in the sand. When and who decided on them?

PM and HMIC in 2016

Member Achievements

Zulu 22

Except that the 9 Peelian Principles were set out By Sir Robert Peel in 1829, and that fact is set down in history. Someone wanting to usurp them in 2016 does not alter the originals, which have been tried and tested for nearly 200 years. The only alterations are those brought about by techniques in technology. We still Police by consent.

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

Milankovitch
10 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Except that the 9 Peelian Principles were set out By Sir Robert Peel in 1829, and that fact is set down in history. Someone wanting to usurp them in 2016 does not alter the originals, which have been tried and tested for nearly 200 years. The only alterations are those brought about by techniques in technology. We still Police by consent.

There isn't any evidence that Peel himself created the list, that is anything but a fact. See below from the Home Office and here for some research into the matter.

When saying ‘policing by consent’, the Home Secretary was referring to a long standing philosophy of British policing, known as the Robert Peel’s 9 Principles of Policing. However, there is no evidence of any link to Robert Peel and it was likely devised by the first Commissioners of Police of the Metropolis (Charles Rowan and Richard Mayne).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policing-by-consent/definition-of-policing-by-consent

• Like 1

Zulu 22

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/police-crime-prevention-service---a-short-history/744/the-peelian-principles/https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policing-by-consent/definition-of-policing-by-consenthttp://joelsgulch.com/modern-policing-and-the-peelian-principles/

Sir Robert Peel was the home secretary who set up the Metropolitan Police and appointed the first joint Commissioner.  It is reasonable to assume that he set them the Principles as a basis for the Metropolitan Police. Peel is the father of Policing. Those same Peelian Principles hold up even today, with modernists high jacking them.

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

Techie1

A number of posts have been hidden.

Please can we get back to topic and stop with the personal attacks and assumptions. 

If such behaviour continues the thread will be locked. 

Thnak you. 

Member Achievements

Chief Rat

The underpinning principles for policing in England and Wales, taken from HMIC’s Annual Assessment of Policing in England and Wales 2013/14

Sir Robert Peel became Home Secretary in 1822 and in 1829 established the first full-time, professional and centrally-organised police force in England and Wales, for the Greater London area.

The reforms introduced by Sir Robert Peel and the first Police Commissioners were based on a philosophy that the power of the police comes from the common consent of the public, as opposed to the power of the state.

The nine principles that underpin this philosophy were set out in the ‘General Instructions’ issued to every new police officer from 1829 onwards. The principles are still valid today and have shaped the approach that HMIC takes when assessing how well police forces are working for the public.

These principles are:

1. The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder
  2. The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions
  3. Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public
  4. The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force
  5. Police seek and preserve public favour not by pandering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law
  6. Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient
  7. Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence
  8. Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary
  9. The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it

I have to agree with the article here on the https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/police-crime-prevention-service---a-short-history/744/the-peelian-principles/ 

They are as prevalent today and they were back then.

Peels_Principles_Of_Law_Enforcement.pdf

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Milankovitch
20 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/police-crime-prevention-service---a-short-history/744/the-peelian-principles/https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policing-by-consent/definition-of-policing-by-consenthttp://joelsgulch.com/modern-policing-and-the-peelian-principles/

Sir Robert Peel was the home secretary who set up the Metropolitan Police and appointed the first joint Commissioner.  It is reasonable to assume that he set them the Principles as a basis for the Metropolitan Police. Peel is the father of Policing. Those same Peelian Principles hold up even today, with modernists high jacking them.

It isn't reasonable to assume that Peel came up with the principles himself when there is no evidence to suggest that he did and there is evidence to suggest that two other people did instead.

• Like 1

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David