Looks at issues with a broad view to achieve the organisation’s goals. Thinks ahead and prepares for the future.
Concentrates on issues that support the broad organisational strategy. Maintains a broad view, and understands and considers the interests and aims of other units or outside organisations.
- Makes sure own team’s ways of working are in line with the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Concentrates on issues that support organisational strategy.
- Thinks across functional and unit boundaries, understanding how their actions will affect other people.
- Thinks strategically beyond own role or specialist area.
- Raises awareness of strategic issues.
- Finds ways of exposing people to ways of working outside the service.
- Tries to influence organisational strategy, culture and direction.
- Predicts the effects of complex problems and issues and takes appropriate action.
- Considers the longer term and broader view, even when having to respond quickly.
- Predicts the effect of legislation on the organisation and prepares for it.
- Is not aware of organisational strategy.
- Does not recognise the links between related activities or functions.
- Is not interested in what is going on outside own area.
- Does not see the possible damaging effects of actions or decisions on other parts of the organisation.
- Criticises or does not support organisational policies.
- Is not willing to accept or co-operate with organisational policy.
- Focuses on short-term issues, ignoring long-term effects.
- Is not aware of the effect of own actions on other agencies.
- Does not see the wider picture.
- Is not aware of political issues.
- Does not predict and prepare for problems.