Understands and respects other people’s views and takes them into account. Is tactful and diplomatic when dealing with people, treating them with dignity and respect at all times. Promotes equality and values diversity. Understands and is sensitive to social, cultural and racial differences.
- Is polite, tolerant and patient when dealing with people, inside and outside the organisation.
- Respects diversity and values people as individuals
- Takes account of how their behaviour affects others and their perception of our organisation
- Apologises when they are at fault or have made mistakes.
- Respects and maintains confidentiality, wherever appropriate.
- Shows understanding and sensitivity to people’s problems, vulnerabilities, interests and needs.
- Seeks feedback from others about their behaviour and uses this to improve it
- Listens to and values others views and opinions.
Knowledge and Understanding
- Can demonstrate knowledge of and acts in accordance with relevant legislation, employment regulations and codes of practice related to promoting equality and valuing diversity
- Is aware of the potential for abusing their status and power
- Deals with diversity issues and gives positive practical support to people who may feel vulnerable.
- Does not discriminate against people
- Provides individuals with information, in an appropriate format, that they need to make informed decisions about their rights
- Actively helps others to promote equality and diversity
- Seeks support from appropriate internal and external sources when having difficulty understanding how to promote equality and diversity
- Challenges people when they are acting inappropriately.
- Communicates in an appropriate way and is sensitive to the affect on others
- Supports minority groups both inside and outside the organisation.
- Does not consider other people’s feelings.
- Does not appropriately talk to people about personal issues.
- Uses inappropriate remarks, language or behaviour.
- Is thoughtless, dismissive or impatient with people.
- Does not respect confidentiality.
- Uses power and control where this is not appropriate.
- Intimidates others
- Uses humour inappropriately.
- Shows bias and prejudice when dealing with people.
- Does not know relevant legislation and policy