Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sneddon25

Social media

Sneddon25

Has anybody got any advice regarding the use of social media? Ive got an interview coming up in January and I've been told to keep my social media private. Is this something that's looked at during the vetting stage?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Sir Penguin

During our training the high tech cyber crime unit came and delivered a presentation to us on the use of social media. The advice they gave was to have it all on private and if possible change your name so people can't find you easily. You have to bear in mind that some people will want to exploit the police and can do it quite easily through social media. 

Most of us thought our profiles were private and told them we were happy with them how they are. They then continued to open up a new powerpoint which had pretty much all our details on that they found from Facebook using just our names. One person was very shocked when they knew his wives name, his address, where he used to work, what time he usually gets home, where his parents live, where he's been on holiday etc. Oh, and not forgetting the extremely embarrassing pictures. Safe to say there were some very red faces around the room :lol: 

I don't know whether it will be looked at during the vetting stage but if you really want the job then now would be a good time to start thinking about changing all your settings and removing anything that could bring the force into disrepute.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

Thanks very much sir penguin, very useful information. I'm not actually on Facebook it's just Twitter that I use mainly for the football. A lad I know who's is the specials has had a meeting this week about it and apparently they're clamping down on it.

SimonT

For my security review I had to disclose my Facebook,  email and twitter addresses.  

Consequently I have done my best to stay away from saying stupid things,  liking or sharing them.  (not stupid person getting chased by turkey type things ) 

Friends can only see my profile and my name is not correct and my image is not me.  My address and job is not me.  

We have offenders who will try and find you on Facebook and even if your profile is secure your friends and family probably won't be.  

You don't want the scumbag you dealt with last week getting hold of a photo of your newborn etc 

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

So basically change my name and keep it private and I'll be fine?. Thanks for the information really appreciated.

Klaus

There's no option to hide yourself fully on Facebook, so the only way to not show up if someone types your name in is to change your name.

But, you still have to disclose your profile during vetting normally, so even if you're hidden make sure to be careful with what you say and do online.

Also, set all the Facebook privacy settings as high as you can.

Also, go and check for any old profiles that may still be out there that you'd forgotten about (dating websites, bebo, MySpace, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

It's just a Twitter account I've got Klaus. Ditched my Facebook account donkeys years ago.

Never thought about that? Surly they won't look at profiles I had when I was that young?

Klaus
It's just a Twitter account I've got Klaus. Ditched my Facebook account donkeys years ago.

Never thought about that? Surly they won't look at profiles I had when I was that young?

They can and will. And I'd be more worried about the public rather than the force.

Let me give you a scenario, you arrest someone and thus they get provided with your full name. They get bailed and search online for you. Google returns your old MySpace profile complete with pictures, school attended, area frequented, and depending on how good you were with privacy back in the day, potentially even your address.

On which note, make sure you are ex-directory and also not on the open voting register.

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

Never realised how much of a potential issue it could be until now.

If I get into the specials i wont be volunteering in my local area. I've had a nosy through and can't seem to find anything apart from my Twitter account.

Sir Penguin
Never realised how much of a potential issue it could be until now.

If I get into the specials i wont be volunteering in my local area. I've had a nosy through and can't seem to find anything apart from my Twitter account.

Twitter is relatively easy to keep private. Switch it over to protective tweets and don't put your address in your bio and you won't go far wrong.

There's no need to be paranoid but no harm in keeping yourself protected online.

Good luck with the rest of the process!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Sneddon25

Yes just been having the same discussion with a serving special constable.

Tweets are now protected. Thanks very much.

Interview in January just wish it was sooner as I'm chomping at the bit to get started!

Don1983

Definately ensure everything of yours is private. But also be aware that if one of your friends posted something and tagged you in it,and their profile isn't protected,then the public can see it. I had to have a vetting interview and a lot of it was to do with social media. I have now changed my name and made everything private and if I'm tagged in anything I get a notification about. Watch out on twitter if any tweets you put up or to you have swear words in them. A tweet with my name on it had a swear word on and that was flagged up!and that was 4 years ago the tweet was posted! Hope your interview went well

Sent from my SM-G935F using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal
So basically change my name and keep it private and I'll be fine?. Thanks for the information really appreciated.

I think that people might still be able to track your social media by your email address. So, having it linked to a standalone address might make you harder to find. If you have give an email address on your application then they could theoretically find your account, even if you have changed your name to 'John Smith'.

A work colleague mocked me for not adding anyone on Facebook and I replied that I did not want people to see what I was upto, so I kept it locked down. She went onto to my profile and I was shocked to see one or two historic posts were public (I don't know how that happened), one of which was inappropriate for a wider audience. As such, it might also be worth double checking what anyone searching can of see your profile.

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

Member Achievements

Fedster

A newspaper recently was able to find out which email address Donald Trump used to register on Twitter, all they did was enter Trumps Twitter handle and clicked on forgot password, this leads you to a page where part of the email address is revealed to help you remember or do a password reset. It was actually a gmail address that he used!

The joys of social media...

Member Achievements

ForceHQ

Its worth searching for yourself on here using your name/email/old profile names etc to see what actually shows up: https://pipl.com/ you can then set about rectifying it what will/can show on generic searches performed on search engines.

I've never understood cops who post the fact they work as a fed for XYZ force on there profile!

Member Achievements

There are 1 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David